Amsoil In this Thread only

Which AMSOIL?

• Total voters

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
Never said Amsoil was the only oil blended in North America, just that I believe they have the best in synthetics and also the most to cover pretty much anything one needs synthetics for . I personally do not like the German oils or Castrol Edge etc. Too many synthetics one can get, seem to be group III synthetics and not true group IV's. Amsoil has been making synthetics I believe longer then just about any other. Shell many years ago told meet they do not warranty their oil if there no warranty on the engine you are putting the oil in, only if it has a warranty. So for Shell I have not nor will I use any engine oil from Shell. Each their own as to what we believe to be the best or not based on weather it is an approved oil or not. Speaking of an approved oil, who says because it is that it is any good, just because it says approved we all go and buy it, but because it is not then we tend to believe it is no good. How much are the oil company's paying for car makers to say use their oil. Again it is what you believe to be best for your auto or truck or what have you. We all believe what we read for some reason. Each their own. All have a good week now eh.
"We all believe what we read for some reason. Each their own. All have a good week now eh." AMEN

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Well I e-mailed Amsoil about their Low SAPS 5W30 oil meeting the VW 504/507 requirement and being certified. They sent back an e-mail saying " As we are not trying to be an OEM supplier, we do not seek individual manufacturer certification/licensing. "That does not mean that the use of our oil affects the new vehicle warranty in any way, however." There it is, for what ever it is worth to all, one uses Amsoil or they don't. I believe just because VW has certified it does not mean that the oil is all that great. In my opinion the oil company/s are paying auto makers to recommend their oil as the approved oil to use so we the public won't by some other brand that is even better as we believe what we read on the oil can, approved and certified by the car maker. VW uses Castrol oil do they not at the dealers, and it is a Group III is it not.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Well I e-mailed Amsoil about their Low SAPS 5W30 oil meeting the VW 504/507 requirement and being certified. They sent back an e-mail saying " As we are not trying to be an OEM supplier, we do not seek individual manufacturer certification/licensing. "That does not mean that the use of our oil affects the new vehicle warranty in any way, however." There it is, for what ever it is worth to all, one uses Amsoil or they don't. I believe just because VW has certified it does not mean that the oil is all that great. In my opinion the oil company/s are paying auto makers to recommend their oil as the approved oil to use so we the public won't by some other brand that is even better as we believe what we read on the oil can, approved and certified by the car maker. VW uses Castrol oil do they not at the dealers, and it is a Group III is it not.
So sez the marketing guy at Amsoil and there is nothing wrong with Group III oil is there?

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Most top tier European oils are largely Group III based, with just enough PAO to meet the required high/low temperature viscometrics, volatility, etc of the various European OEM specifications. What really matters is the synergy between the base stock blend and the specific additive chemistry. This is why the Virgin Oil Analysis tests performed over at Bobistheoilguy are so utterly useless.

TS

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
I perfer a group 4 oil such as Amsoil as I think the group 3 are over priced not not nearly as good as the 4's. Now as I understand it Redline is a group 5. For the pricwe it's group 4 for me. I have used Amsoil for years now and believe the are one of better and or best. Each their own as to what one thinks is best or better and they can run cooking oil if they want.
We all believe what is on the label and who knows how much is true. It seems to me a lot of people don't like Amsoil, but most have never used it. They have been putting out syn produces longer then most others and have something to use from small engines to diesels, natural gas powered engines, motorcycles trans gear oils, ATF's and so on. Not too many here can make the same claim for all the equipment that they have produces for. I like the best and I believe Amsoil is one of best we can get here or the best Each their own.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I perfer a group 4 oil such as Amsoil as I think the group 3 are over priced not not nearly as good as the 4's. Now as I understand it Redline is a group 5. For the pricwe it's group 4 for me. I have used Amsoil for years now and believe the are one of better and or best. Each their own as to what one thinks is best or better and they can run cooking oil if they want.
We all believe what is on the label and who knows how much is true. It seems to me a lot of people don't like Amsoil, but most have never used it. They have been putting out syn produces longer then most others and have something to use from small engines to diesels, natural gas powered engines, motorcycles trans gear oils, ATF's and so on. Not too many here can make the same claim for all the equipment that they have produces for. I like the best and I believe Amsoil is one of best we can get here or the best Each their own.
What empirical data do you have to back up any of your feelings or preferences about oil? Tooslick is an Amsoil distributor and what he gave us were the simple facts not how he felt about it. Amsoil makes a fine product but so do many others. Believe or feel what you want. That is like discussing politics or religion.

Edit addendum:
Is there data that shows that use of a VW certified oil has led to an engine failure or shortened the life of an engine? Or using an Amsoil product extended it.

Where I come from in industrial engineering (GKN) one of our key statements was that data talks and bull$hit walks. Your gut feeling means nothing without data.

Last edited:

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
You could argue that the use of some officially Approved VW 505.01 oils has led to premature cam and lifter failure in the PD engines. Not so much brands but the use of 5w-30 grades. The thinner 0w-30, VW 506.01 oils did not work well in these either.

TS

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Each their own as to what oil one uses. Like I said group 3 oil such as Castrol Edge up here is some $12.00 a liter and Amsoil 5W30 low SAPS cost me some $10.25 a US QT for a group 4 so why use group 3's

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Each their own as to what oil one uses. Like I said group 3 oil such as Castrol Edge up here is some $12.00 a liter and Amsoil 5W30 low SAPS cost me some $10.25 a US QT for a group 4 so why use group 3's
Because Rotella T6 5w40 is $5 USD a quart, and Castrol 5w40 and 0w40 are $8 USD a quart. I don't think AEL is PAO based on the data sheet, either.

AEL's NOACK [10%] is really lacking compared to Mobil 1 ESP 5w30, 5.6%.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
NOACK volatility is largely a function of the additive chemistry, including the carrier oil for the additives. So it's difficult to draw too many assumptions about base stock composition simply by evaluating one parameter.

TS

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
NOACK volatility is largely a function of the additive chemistry, including the carrier oil for the additives. So it's difficult to draw too many assumptions about base stock composition simply by evaluating one parameter.

TS

And flashpoint? 14*C lower than the M1 ESP 5w30? [240C vs 254C]

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Flashpoint is also influenced by the additive chemistry and how volatile it is, yes. I could make an educated guess as to the base oil blends Amsoil is using in their three European Formulas. But it would only be a guess.

TS

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
This tdi club i thought was a place to learn, by what people have tried and believe to work best for them and pass it on to others for what it is worth, but seems to be a place to attack people for what oil brand they decide to use or their error in spelling/grammer or what have they. It seems to me some are just out here to attack others and that is the only reason they are out here, to find falt with anything they can pick apart or to pick on people because they like Amsoil or who evers oil product which does not agree with them to be the best choice. So much for this site being started for to learn and save and get expert advice on repairs etc., by someone who has been there done that. I come out here to learn because I learn something new everytime I come out here. Just because we do not agree with someones opinion or the fact their spelling sucks /grammer as mine because I am not going to talk my car apart and back together again and make it better. So why do people come out here and attack others. If one has nothing nice to say then say nothing. Lets learn and improve and make things better eh.

Last edited:

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
Buy whichever motor oil that makes you happy. If any of you care, I think engine manufacturers are better sources of good advice on oil selection than internet forums.

Brooklin Express

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI jetta Wagon 5spd 2014 Audi Q 5 TDI
Just changed the Transmission fluid in my 5 spd 04 jetta with Amsoil Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90.

How many k's does VW recommend until I have to change it again?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Just changed the Transmission fluid in my 5 spd 04 jetta with Amsoil Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90.

How many k's does VW recommend until I have to change it again?
I don't think there is an official interval for gearbox lube. Every 100K miles is a good/popular interval.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Based on thirty five years of experience with the Amsoil gear lube, a 100k interval will be fine.

TS

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
Based on thirty five years of experience with the Amsoil gear lube, a 100k interval will be fine.

TS
Please forgive me but I think that the transmission manufacturer is the best source of drain interval recommendations, over all. IMO fresh fluid is cheap insurance.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
There is no explicit recommendation from VW/Audi. So I'd certainly defer to the lubricant company on this one. A 50k severe service; 100k normal service interval should work for most synthetic gear lubes of OEM quality. So any of the German gear lubes, or Redline, Amsoil, etc.

suppleediesel

TDI
01 Jetta(sold); 09 Jetta DSG
Amsoil DISCONTINUING Ea Air filter line!

Being an Amsoil dealer, I noticed in our Centerline, they informed us of their discontinuing of the Air Filter line!
50% off if your a dealer, and usually dealers will pass that down to their customers, so stock up everyone!

New TDI guy here, by the way, so please, reroute this if it's in the wrong spot!!

Thanks again guys and gals!!

thatscold2

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
help ! wrong amsoil weight in 06 TDI

Hi Folks ,

doing a little forum searching but not really able to find a decisive answer , going on a bit of a road trip and thought I would put fresh oil in the car , so 06 tdi with 128km on it , my bad I grabbed the wrong weight , 5w-30 instead of the 5w-40 , there is some diff ratings 504-507 I think the 06 motor likes the 501 ? , I have no idea what the diff is , anyhow long question cut short , am I going to damage anything running the 30 instead of the 40 ?, really don't feel like dumping the oil tomorrow morning (as were leaving) but... you know its just one of those things that sits in yer head , anyhow any advice is appreciated , and apologies in advance if I open a can of worms here

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Hi Folks ,

doing a little forum searching but not really able to find a decisive answer , going on a bit of a road trip and thought I would put fresh oil in the car , so 06 tdi with 128km on it , my bad I grabbed the wrong weight , 5w-30 instead of the 5w-40 , there is some diff ratings 504-507 I think the 06 motor likes the 501 ? , I have no idea what the diff is , anyhow long question cut short , am I going to damage anything running the 30 instead of the 40 ?, really don't feel like dumping the oil tomorrow morning (as were leaving) but... you know its just one of those things that sits in yer head , anyhow any advice is appreciated , and apologies in advance if I open a can of worms here
Which Amsoil 5w30 did you use?

507.00 5w30 oils have not conclusively been shown to cause wear in PDs.