Storm Area 51

rhinorear

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
Oh, I don't know. Was on the Extraterrestrial Hwy the end of July coming back from San Fran with my new to me TDI JSW and told my boy aboot it and he got all excited and me telling him aboot Storm Area 51 activity. Being from NM, of course we've been to Roswell so its kind of an interest of ours.

The event has been officially cancelled but Las Vegas is having festivities and Rachel and Hiko NV have gone on record as still having festivities so why not?

Want to see what the Gubberment reaction will be to all of us.

Want to do Burning Man also so this will be our introduction to such gatherings

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Good luck. Don't forget that the people who planned and organized these "events" have zero experience at this. Be prepared for:
too many people
too little water
too few "facilities" (read: port-a-potty)
no access to anything except empty desert
lots of scammers, thieves, and cheap souvenirs sellers
lots of assorted "law enforcement" folks (both visible and not)

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. At least the organizers of burning man have some experience. It is likely to be a much better experience. Either way, let us know how it goes.

rhinorear

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
I hear ya Don, will do. All good suggestions. I plan on being self supporting once we leave Las Vegas. Even down to the 5 gallon bucket crapper.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
2 folks from Holland got to see the inside of an american jail, acc. to a German Newspaper (BILD).

Reactions: Ton

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Everybody knows the real aliens are hibernating inside the pyramids :D . People are weird, at least the weirdos at burning man are less likely to bring firearms.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I hear ya Don, will do. All good suggestions. I plan on being self supporting once we leave Las Vegas. Even down to the 5 gallon bucket crapper.

I just heard the weather report, do not expect Las Vegas weather. They are expecting lows near freezing in Rachel, NV. It is several thousand feet higher in elevation than Las Vegas. I suspect that many campers will not be prepared for this.

Have Fun!

Don

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
My father used to work there, I was able to tour the town they built and nuked, all stuff from the days when above ground testing was allowed.

I think all this stuff is open to the public when requested and all parties verified. Which is a better idea than storming a gov't facility.

rhinorear

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
Well it was interesting. Stopped in Vegas Thurs afternoon. Went to their so called alien concert. Small time, low keyed, not very well attended. 21 or older to get in so we just circumnavigated that block and had more fun on the strip. Had my 13 year old boy with me. The concert was in the old part of town. That are will definitely need to be revisited.

Made it to Rachel late the next morning after stopping off at Hico. I have never seen a larger showing of LEO. You could either pay $68 and park/camp on private property on the west side of the Hwy or stay for free on the east side of the Hwy in Rachel.

So after we determined the JSW was off road capable we staked out our claim and started to enjoy the festivities. Which weren't much. Small vendor area. 2 stages just full of small time entertainment, but the people watching was priceless.

As you predicted Don it did start getting cold around 9pm. Made it back to the car. At 6'2 I'm able to comfortably sleep in the back. The boy slept in the driver's seat which almost lays flat. In the morning it was 43 degrees. Drove to 1 of the nearby Area 51 gates where again a large LEO contingency was stationed but all was cool. Took pictures in front of the gate with no problems.

I ask 1 LEO how we're behaving and all he knew was 2 arrests, 1 due to alcohol and 1 due to indecent exposure. Between Vegas and Rachel my boy definitely saw more than he should of.

Then drove from Rachel back to Las Cruces with a stop at Hoover Dam.

What a vehicle. At 75mph 48mpg, at 80 45mpg. Put this thing in the right gear and passing was no problem at all.

Will probably try to make it again next year if they have it.

BobM1

TDI
06 Beetle automatic
We have been to the rear gate of Area 51 a couple of times. We didn't antagonize the guards and left in peace. Can't imagine paying the fines and tow bill of being arrested!