Tires: Michelin Primacy MXV4 or Energy MXV4 S8?

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
First off Costco is offering $60 off a set of Michelin tires WITHOUT their coupon, until early November. Its right on their home page. This may be a good time to get a membership (its free) if you want Michelins and if Costco is in your locale:

http://www.costco.com/HOME.aspx

I plan to take advantage of this, since I need new tires.

I plan on getting either the Primacy MXV4 or the Energy MXV4 S8. I am leaning towards the Primacy. Both are within a dollar, pricewise. $119 vs. $120 each, plus $10 mounting/balancling fee.

I figure the Primacy will be about $100 less, over the life of the tires. I also think the Primacy will handle at least as good, and probally better, than the Energy tire.

A visit to the Michelin web site reveals that the Primacy has a tread life of 620 and the Energy tread life is 440. Both tires cary an "A" for traction and temperature. To me this indicates the Primacy will have a 40% longer tread life. I assume this to be about 80,000 - 90,000 miles AT LEAST (since I have 75,000 miles on the Energys that are on the car now and they are almost to the wear bars). A also am assuming that the Energys will save at most 2% in fuel, due to slightly lower rolling resistance. If I calculate the numbers, I get a savings of about $100 going with the Primacys. I used $3.10 per gallon for diesel fuel and get about 32 gallons of fuel saved over the life of the tires, if Energys are bought. That's not a whole lot. Compare this to the cost savings of the longer life Primacys and you get about $500 tire cost (40% more life) = $200 - fuel savings of 32 gal. X $3.10/gallon = $101

Any thoughts? Which tire would you buy?

Tx.

--Nate

Last edited:

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
__. Hi, Nate. I just bought a set of Energie's. I tried to get tricky and go to the 20/65/15's, thinking that the slightly larger rolling radius (~2.5%) would help fuel economy. The ride and steering response is *wonderful* but the fuel econ hasn't been good. They're about .6" wider than the 195's and I think that this increased the friction.

__. I was driving MzLauraLee's waggin this past weekend (she has stock OEM Michelin's). Pulling up to a stopsign, I was wondering if the clutch has stuck or something ... man, that car just kept moving until I hit the brake. *Much* more coast than my car.

__. I got ~87K miles out of the OEM Engerie's on my first TDI (and they weren't all the way worn out). I really like them. But I sure wish that I'd put the 195's on my car.

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
I just put a set of KUMHO 716 Solus P205/55R-16 89H BSW tires on my 06 TDI Jetta and love them. Discount Tire has em @98.00 ea. Very quiet solid feel tire.

The Bridgestone Turanza EL400's were ok till they wore down. They got noisy as all heck, but went 35,000 miles no problem.

MEIN_VW

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI wagon highline
I replaced the Energy MXV4's on the Passat with MXV4 S8's and I'm not really happy with them. They're noisy, they squeal even when cornering lightly and they have poor grip in the rain.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
PDJetta said:
First off Costco is offering $60 off a set of Michelin tires WITHOUT their coupon, until early November. Its right on their home page. This may be a good time to get a membership (its free) if you want Michelins and if Costco is in your locale:

http://www.costco.com/HOME.aspx

I plan to take advantage of this, since I need new tires.

I plan on getting either the Primacy MXV4 or the Energy MXV4 S8. I am leaning towards the Primacy. Both are within a dollar, pricewise. $119 vs. $120 each, plus $10 mounting/balancling fee.

I figure the Primacy will be about $100 less, over the life of the tires. I also think the Primacy will handle at least as good, and probally better, than the Energy tire.

A visit to the Michelin web site reveals that the Primacy has a tread life of 620 and the Energy tread life is 440. Both tires cary an "A" for traction and temperature. To me this indicates the Primacy will have a 40% longer tread life. I assume this to be about 80,000 - 90,000 miles AT LEAST (since I have 75,000 miles on the Energys that are on the car now and they are almost to the wear bars). A also am assuming that the Energys will save at most 2% in fuel, due to slightly lower rolling resistance. If I calculate the numbers, I get a savings of about $100 going with the Primacys. I used $3.10 per gallon for diesel fuel and get about 32 gallons of fuel saved over the life of the tires, if Energys are bought. That's not a whole lot. Compare this to the cost savings of the longer life Primacys and you get about $500 tire cost (40% more life) = $200 - fuel savings of 32 gal. X $3.10/gallon = $101

Any thoughts? Which tire would you buy?

Tx.

--Nate
I'd be inclined to try the Primacy MXV4. While I think the original oem Michelin is very long lasting, the Primacy is the lastest offering and has a miles warranty where the oem's did not and still do not. Since you got 75,000 on your oem Energies with probably tread and miles left, I am inclined to believe you will probably do as well or better with the Primacy's.

As another data point, I got the oem GY LS-H's and was disappointed. But at 100,000 miles it looks good for the next tire rotation for a min of 110,000 miles. I will apply the tire tread measuring tool at that time. You do not say what psi you run, but I run 38F/36R max sidewall pressure of 44 psi. The car is on its first alignment. The range mpg on a plain jane commute is between 48-52 mpg. The range has been from a 44-62 mpg.

Last edited:

technocrat

TDI
jetta, 2004, tan
www discounttiredirect com
Buy any 4 wheels or tires and get $100 off.
Only until 10/20/07
Michelin Primacy MXV4 /65R-15 91H RRBL $116.00.
(4)Valve Stems$3.00 = $12.00

$100 Online Discount.
FREE UPS Ground Shipping $0.00
Total Price Shipped = $376.00

Just find a local shop to mount and balance them. Check TireRack for preferred installers.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Yes, I have ordered two sets from discounttire in the past and there wer no problems.

Sooch

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf
And for $308 total out the door, at discount tire, you could have the Pilot Exalto A/S. I am very picky when it comes to tires, and I love these. The only tire that I liked even close to as much were the old Yokohama A509's.

eyeguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Passat Wagon TDI
Guys, I have the Primacy's in 225/45/17 and I really like them. I had some Dunlop's with a UTQG of like 220. They roared at anything above 20 mph and the faster I went, the higher the pitch. They lasted no time at all too! These Primacy's are night and day in comparison! My mpg's went up around 2-3 to around 44-45 at 73-75 mph. They are very quiet, handle pretty good, and look to be wearing very well although I haven't really racked up the mileage on them yet. My wet driving experience has been pretty good too. No heavy rains, but they did seem to do good in standing water. Anyway, great tires and though expensive, they are worth the price. Don't hesitate.

VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI , 2006 Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI, 2002 VW GTI 1.8T

technocrat

TDI
jetta, 2004, tan
I would definately consider the Pilot Exalto A/S as a top contender but the topic question was specific to two tires, A or B.

My experience with the MXV4-plus has been good. I got 40,000 miles on the original tires and they are down to 3/32". The wear has been extremely even, the ride is comfortable, no noise to speak of, and they served me well for the three seasons of eastern PA. The only complaint I have is that they sometimes slip on wet and snowy roads, especially during first gear acceleration (Stage II RC). Otherwise, I have never had a flat and never got stuck.

After giving it lots of thought, I'm following my own recommendation and ordering the Primacy MXV4's. I like the deeper tred depth of the new tire and feel that it will be at least as good as the previous versions. Time will tell.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
First gear slip in the rain/snow isn't the tire's fault. Look under the hood :)

VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Pilot Exalto A/S are above the MXV4's, and the S8 and cost a couple dollars more. Offers all the characteristics of the MXV4 but more traction, more sportiness. I had MXV4's on my Jetta before and when I got these HUGE DIFFERENCE, the car cornors better, handles like its on rails, totally brings out the Jetta. The MXV4 is a old tire, the Exalto is fairly newer and far superior. Do yourself PDJetta, forget the Primacy MXV4 and the Energy MXV4 S8, and get the exalto's. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT !

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI said:
Pilot Exalto A/S (snip) more traction, more sportiness. , the car cornors better, handles like its on rails, totally brings out the Jetta.
__. Yeah but what about fuel economy?

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
To fuel economy (from the oem tires), I would add how many miles are folks getting from the Exalto A/S? I talked to a guy at a recent GTG who does very high numbers of miles in a yearly commute, plus many shorter run trips. He is getting app 40-45,000 miles per set.

Last edited:

VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI

Pretty much the same as MXV4, if not better. On the MXV4's over to the Exalto's saw a huge change, got 670km a tank rather then 600km full tank i normally got with the MXV4's (know my fuel economy is somehow low), I am guessing, because of braking (less drag and rolling), and less effort to pick up and go. People the Exalto A/S is far superior to the MXV4's, don't believe me, read the reviews on tirerack. This is the best tire you can buy for Jetta. Another good tire is the Michelin Harmony but its 'S' rated, that tire is pretty good too. Saw many Jetta's with these tires. The Harmony's are a good choice if speed rating doesn't make a difference. 130,000km warranty, and good overall traction.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Pretty much the same as MXV4, if not better. (snip)
__. Thanks, that's good info. Appreciate it, MrG

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
what's with the fascination with Michelin? There are a lot of high quality tyres that are not Michelin that will cost you less and perform as well or better.

After the USGP 2005 fiasco, I will never again purchase another michelin product.

raybo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG White Gold
ducatipaso said:
what's with the fascination with Michelin? There are a lot of high quality tyres that are not Michelin that will cost you less and perform as well or better.

After the USGP 2005 fiasco, I will never again purchase another michelin product.
While you boycott, I will enjoy.

Ray

VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't understand some people and their problems with brand name products. Michelin isn't the BEST for no reason, right?
By far Michelin has the best longevity and offers excellent performance throughout its treadwear life. All Michelin tires are good somehow, and I have always felt safe with them. They are a little expensive, but dependable My brother just bought a 94 Honda Accord, we are thinking to put the Michelin Harmony's, costing $600 but worth it. I wouldn't want my 17 year old brother in some cheapy Hankook's or Kumho tires. If you have the money you should deffinetely go for the Michelins. I like Bridgestone tires too, but only a few, such as the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position , I might get those tires when my tires wear down just to try them out. The thing with tires is, you get what you pay for !

Last edited:

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I'd like to see some nonbiased empirical data proving that Michelin tyres are the BEST

VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I am not being at all biased about the Michelin tires. Most people might probably know by now that michelins are the best tires for a Jetta. Performance and durablity. Look at most Jetta's on the road there riding on Michelins. The two others that were OE on Jetta's were the Eagles, which are sloppy :rolleyes: , and the conti's which wear fast but a good tire for someone on a budget, $120CDN Each. Has anyone had a bad experience with Michelin Tires?
-ducatipaso, if Michelins aren't the best for Jetta, what tire would you recommend?

Last edited:

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
You are stating a subjective opinion.

I am asking for empirical proof that "michelins are the best tires for a jetta"

WDM

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Mk IV Wagon/2005/Reflex Silver
ducatipaso said:
X2

The Michelin Energys that came on my car were downright dangerous in wet conditions. In any snow you may as well just crash the car into something and get it over with. On dry road they're a fine tire I suppose if you want to pay a premium for them. I'm not anti-Michelin necessarily but they are grossly overpriced for what one gets considering many other tires on the market.

VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I live in Mississauga, Ontario. The winter is worse than B.C unless you live up in the mountins than you need winter tires. weather over here, we get light snow from time to time and I never expereinced such a problem with the MXV4's maybe you had defective tires?
My father had defective Perelli's on his S60 2.5T AWD, and then he got another pair under warranty. Other factors are, how you drive, if you drive rough than ofcourse you won't get the best traction. We had these tires in three of our cars and never had this problem. I am not defending Michelin for no reason, over the years all the tires we had Michelin's always stood out the longest and provided us with good service. The MXV4 is a all-season tire, not a winter tire and should treated as such. What tires would you guys recommend for the Jetta?

Last edited:

WDM

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Mk IV Wagon/2005/Reflex Silver
The MXV4 is a all-season tire, not a winter tire...
...and a really ****ty one for the price too.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I just installed the second set of nokian wr's on my car yesterday and have been extremely pleased at how well the overall experience with them in all weather conditions and would not put anithing else on my car, maybe the I3's from them if I get some 17's :)

raybo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG White Gold
As far as I know, there is no tire that can be tops in rolling resistance (ie, MPG), grip, and tread life. All we have are compromises.

From my reading (including this forum, TireRack and Consumer Reports), most people report that the Nokian i3 and the Michelin PE A/S are a big step up from OEM in wet and dry handling, with little loss of MPG, and both have good tread life.

Ray

Last edited:

majesticj

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta GL TDI
I live in Mississauga, Ontario. The winter is worse than B.C unless you live up in the mountins than you need winter tires. weather over here, we get light snow from time to time and I never expereinced such a problem with the MXV4's maybe you had defective tires?
My father had defective Perelli's on his S60 2.5T AWD, and then he got another pair under warranty. Other factors are, how you drive, if you drive rough than ofcourse you won't get the best traction. We had these tires in three of our cars and never had this problem. I am not defending Michelin for no reason, over the years all the tires we had Michelin's always stood out the longest and provided us with good service. The MXV4 is a all-season tire, not a winter tire and should treated as such. What tires would you guys recommend for the Jetta?
Are you seriously trolling people about tires?