fuel door won't pop open...

Jesse_Boyer

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm all out...
The trunk button works, but nothing happens when I hit the fuel door release. This is pretty much the last item I have to fix before this is 100%, but I'm not even sure where to start. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get started?

Last edited:

Phoenix42

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Mazda3 Hatch
Do you hear a noise when you operate the button?
On mine the spring that pushes out the door was busted, adn I'd hear the selonid operate but the door would not pop open.

Jesse_Boyer

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm all out...
nope, no noise. i can hear the trunk pop, but nothing with the fuel door. Unless it's 'that' quiet compared to the trunk. Regardless, I don't hear anything

dknytech

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sport reflux silver
I am having this exact same issue. I can hear a noise when I pull on the trunk release switch but nothing when I try to open the fuel door. Is it the fuel door switch? If so, do I have to take the whole door apart to get at it? Does any one have the part #? Thanks in advance.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Fuel door

Jesse_Boyer said:
The trunk button works, but nothing happens when I hit the fuel door release. This is pretty much the last item I have to fix before this is 100%, but I'm not even sure where to start. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get started?
There is a TB on this.:cool: Do a search- it has been covered in the past.Volkswagen Technical Service Bulletins

Last edited:

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
dknytech said:
I fail to see anything regarding my issue listed here.Volkswagen Technical Service Bulletins. After searching for some time I managed to find that the door does have to been taken apart, but I still cannot find a part # for the OEM replacement fuel door switch.
__. DK, it may not be the switch in the driver's door (in fact, I'm pretty sure that it usually is not). The system has the driver's door switch, wiring, and the operating mechanism at the fuel filler. You could have a disconnected connector at the driver's door button or at the operating mechanism. And, as noted, the filler flap won't open if the spring doesn't work properly -- in that case, the mechanism will retract just fine but then it relocks when you release the button and the filler flap stays closed.

__. The only way to handle this is to get some help. Put your ear to the filler flap and have your helper pull the button on the driver's door. If the mechanism is working, you will hear it. If you hear it working, then the problem is the spring -- you deal with that by getting something soft and smooth (a rubber or soft plastic strip, for instance, so you don't scratch the paint) and lever the flap open while your helper pulls the switch; that will work fine.

__. I've never actually dealt with this situation before, but listening to people talk on this forum, it appears that here's the order of priority:

1) Bad spring
2) Bad mechanism at filler flap
3) Loose connector at switch in driver's door
4) Bad switch in driver's door

__. Perhaps someone who's done it recently will comment on whether there's a combined connector at the switch for the trunk latch and the filler. If so, then the fact that the trunk latch works means the connector is in place -- but you need to confirm that there is a combined connector.

__. Since this is a "non TDI specific" problem, I'd do a search at VWVortex, too. There's often good info there.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG

dknytech

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sport reflux silver
Update:
Took the door apart today to clean and check the harness connections. No luck. Went to the dealership and purchased new switch $41, ouch. FYI Part # 1J0 959 833 A. Installed new switch and tested about 20 times, works great. I was about to throw the old switch away when I decided to take it apart. Very easy to do just be careful. Upon inspecting the inside of the switch the contact points that touch when the switch is pulled seemed to be dirty, cleaned them with contact cleaner and wiped with a Q-tip, looks like new again. Seeing as it only takes 5 minutes to remove door panel I decided to install the newly cleaned switch and wouldn't you know it, it works. Wish I would have thought of trying this first. I ended up installing the new switch that I bought today because I cannot return it, but I will keep the old just in case. So I recommend to anyone having this same problem to try this first, it might save a guy a few bucks.

MCathcart

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Yep you are Correct... Most all VW switches are Repairable. After owning 8 VW's since 1998 I repair window switches when the Pivot breaks off. I've said before I'd do a HOW TO on them but just never took time.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
Anyone know of a way to get a new spring for the fuel door? I actually lost mine when doing the vent mod. Now I have to stick a credit card in the fuel door then go and pull the switch. My door is starting to get chingered up from the card sliding in and out.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
2004STARWARSTDI said:
The original poster has a 2001, so why would you direct him to a TSB for a 2006?

Also, this is the only information I found there:

Fuel tank lid does not close, unlock motor -v155 - does not return properly. *tt
Not real helpful in fixing the problem. Maybe I'm missing a step in finding what this TSB has to say?

Dans4

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Necro bump -

I hear no sound when using the trunk release or fuel door.

Any one have wiring schematics for the door?

I can manually open fuel door.

thansk,
Dan

alex_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI GLS, 2001, Blue
I too have a 2001 Golf and I can hear the sound of the solenoid but the fuel door won't open sometimes. I would have to do it a few times before it pops.

Any idea on what could be wrong?

--UPDATE--

I think I found all the related instructions:

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...pport_for_luggage_compartment_cover/removing/>

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...ving_and_installing_roof_frame_trim/removing/

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa..._and_installing_upper_c-pillar_trim/removing/

I'm going to try this and see if I can access the actuator in the c-frame.

Alex

Last edited:

alex_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI GLS, 2001, Blue
As it turns out, I didn't have to remove the trims all the way. The actuator was closer to the edge than I expected. I didn't have to remove the weird metal clip at all. There was enough space for me to reach in there with one hand and pop up the actuator to remove it.

zukikat

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon
My last 2001, when I bought it from the original owner at just 138k miles, had big deep scratch/pry marks all around the rear edge of the gas door (she would pry it open with the key!!!) and duct tape holding the lower portion of the driver door panel together, among other overall interior and exterior abuse issues...

If it didn't open, I could usually pull the switch multiple times and within several pulls I'd hear the soleniod kick and it would open but sometimes I'd end up also prying it open (and cringing while doing it!).
When I replaced the nasty door card with a nice condition used one it came with the switches and wouldn't 'ya know my gas door nightmare totally disappeared and it worked perfectly every time for the next 2.5 years until the car got destroyed in a multi-vehicle crash.

So you can spend just a few minutes to take the door card off, unplug the switch, and jumper the connector to simulate a switch action and see if your gas door opens or not.

I'm also wondering if VCDS can/will trigger the gas door to test the mechanism on a MkIV or not. Does anyone know?

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
I'm also wondering if VCDS can/will trigger the gas door to test the mechanism on a MkIV or not. Does anyone know?
It cannot. The switch sends power directly to the door solenoid, no involvement with the ECU or any computers.