New BRM and I want POWER!!!

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I picked up an 06 BRM to replace my 09 that VW will be taking back.

Been reading as many threads as I can find, And searching google. Several Questions before I get started on my mods that I couldn't really find good answers for

- I am seriously considering installing one of Kerma's 150 HP kits. couldn't really find any reviews on it or opinions

- I am also wanting to swap out the cam, not sure on the condition of my current cam but will be inspecting it soon. if it is original it has 140k miles on it. I really just want something that I don't have to worry about for a while. and if I was doing some power mods why not upgrade it. thinking of a Colt stage 2 or 3 cam. which one would you get? I am leaning towards the stage 2 but if it was worth it, then for only a little more then I will get the stage 3

- ARP head studs for more peace of mind with the higher HP. Bonus points for being reusable

- If I am pulling the turbo and installing the new one. I know I could pull it from the bottom, but was wondering if I was putting in ARP studs then maybe I should just pull the head with the turbo still attached. would it be less aggravating to take the head off and have all the room I need or take it out through the bottom. If I take it out through the bottom than I would do the ARP studs one at a time leaving the head on.

Also, since I already had my 09s DSG transmission tuned I swapped the mechatronic unit into my 06 and ran the adaptations on it. see any issues with this?

thanks in advance for any insight and guidance

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
One more thing. since I am going to have the cam out and I am putting in a larger turbo. should I install larger injectors? thinking of Bosio 1043 injectors nozzles. but Kerma's pricing on calibrating and balancing them seems a little steep to me at almost $700. is this normal? from reading other threads it looks to be about three times what others charge.

algirdas

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta AHU
BRM turbo is top mounted on exhaust manifold and egr cooler is mounted to back of engine block below exhaust manifold. So I pulled turbo out the top.

I just did a build on my friends BRM with everything from Darkside, arrived within a week.
https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/search.php?search_query=brm
GTB1749V, used PD150injectors, PD150 head bolts, EGRdelete &cooler bypass, 2.5"downpipe, SS oil line, Hard pipe work kit. Next spring plan S3intercooler & racecam.

Stock cam was fine. Changed headbolts one at a time to full torque value using factory tork pattern.
Used Malone tune, rented flashloader. Two weekends to install including 3" exhaust.
If I did this again, a 'bolt on' build, I'd get the GTB1756 from Xman Turbos on Facebook, and Firad +80% 300hp nozzles.

Here's the text from his post so you can find it::
GTB1756vk MFS
(fitted with 56mm CNC cut performance billet compressor wheel) ready for 1.9TDI transverse applications
downpipe flange included in the price
On Golf mk5 platform based cars it may fit with stock downpipe however it may require slight refabricating/adjusting on the hangers (we haven't had it tested with stock mk5 downpipe yet)
EGR port welded/blanked
EGT probe port blanked with allen key plug type of bolt can be used of EGT or any other probe if necessary
230-250bhp power potential at 2-2.2bar of boost with proper supporting mods.
braided oil feed £40
set of new gaskets and copper nuts £30
4bar MAP £40
DIY oil return extension kit (requires fittings from your stock return) £15
old stock price reduction one time offer only (£650 originally)
£550 posted within the UK

Last edited:

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
The 17 sure looks tempting. Was it cheaper to piece it all together rather than get a kit with everything in it? I like the idea of having everything needed and not accidentally forget a gasket or bolt or something else. Also it seems the Garrett turbos are not a direct bolt on and some modifications, probably small, will be necessary

This is my daily driver so i dont want to be down for too long. And I will be keeping my EGR (even if it doesn't work) as I still live in California so everything needs to be (look) stock

chevelle496

TDI
2015 passat tdi
I am in the process of selling off a 06 brm jetta, and replacing it with a 2015 passat tdi. I was planning on the same swap, and have in my garage a GTB1749V from darkside, and a set of injectors i believe i bought from memeber stubbs off this website, they were set up by drivebywire with 1043 nozzles, I have had them stored in the garage in fuel as everyone suggests. I have photos of the turbo handy but not the injectors as i have not really felt like handling them to take the pics. I have been considering listing this stuff for sale on here. That is why i have gathered up some photos all ready. If interested I am ready to part with these pieces. Thanks Jason

algirdas

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta AHU
Can't answer as to cheaper, didn't shop around. We had a closed end plan to maximize a true bolt on build, without project creep, and I trust Darkside / RyanP.
Made a list from his site and emailed him for additional advice to make a comprehensive and inclusive kit. I run my build plan/list past supplier and tuner for advice, they always improve it. Adding what's prudent and cutting what's not required.

The GTB1749V is direct fit bolt on, just need to use SS oil feed line. And 3bar MAP.
Malone tuning can keep emissions on your BRM with dynamic EGR and dynamic Idle.

Best bang for buck is a tune. But the BRM turbo is kinda small so turbo upgrade is in order.
Ideally a GTB 1749 or 1756, But then the nozzles are next bottleneck.
So used PD150 injectors good for up to 200hp at crank or bigger.
Then everything else for airflow; downpipe, exhaust, intercooler, ICtubing, cam, etc; can be bolted on later as one at a time projects.

The turbo and nozzles from chevelle496 with a Tune would get you pretty far along power wise.

Last edited:

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
In my searching, it seems that there is no true ARP stud kit for the BRM. Looks like the nuts interferes with the cam caps. If this is true, could you mill the seat where the nut and washer sit just a little bit deeper to make room? Would this also allow the stud to screw into the block a little bit more?

Also, many places seems to indicate that the GTB 1749/56 turbos are a true drop in replacement for the BEW but some slight modifications are needed for the BRM. Am i mistaken? Is it a true drop in replacement for the BRM? If so then I may go this route. If not i may stick with the PD140 turbo

Thanks Jason

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
That's correct, the SS braided oil line is the only extra part needed for the GTB1749VC swap from Darkside. You'll still need the gaskets and such, but that's to be expected. The PD140 and GTB1749VC are true drop in for the BRM, the GTB1749VC I believe is just using the housings from the PD140.

To answer your previous question, yes, it's easy(but still time consuming) to replace the turbo by pulling the head. That's how I did it, only because I needed to inspect the head. However, I wouldn't break a good head gasket seal unless if you have to. The most difficult part for me when pulling the head was removing the oil feed line, and the toughest part of the install was getting the SS braided oil feed line in, my hands were just too big to get it into place.

Also, the ARP studs for the PD engine seems to be too much of a hassle, especially since the PD150 head bolts are cheap enough and support 250 hp pretty easily.

chevelle496

TDI
2015 passat tdi
As far as i know the gtb1749 was supposed to be a direct bolt on, That was the reason i bought it, I wanted something to just go right into place with no fabrication. The only thing i was aware of was the need for the stainless steel oil line. Which darkside attached to the turbo before they sent it to me. The turbo is brand new never installed. I believe i have all the gaskets and copper exhaust manifold nuts 3 bar map sensor needed to install it. I say i believe as you mentioned something could get over looked while ordering it.
I told justintime_3 i would sell the turbo with the injectors for $1350 shipped to the lower 48 states, I would like to put this into the hands of some one who has time to finish the project. I apologize if anyone has tried to contact me i did not realize my private message box was full. So i cleared it out to make some room.
Thanks Jason

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Well that looks good, the price is right. I am going to have to wait for the check from VW first for my 09. I dont know if you want to wait until then.it is currently in the review stage right now. If it is still available then I would certainly like to purchase them

chevelle496

TDI
2015 passat tdi
How long do you believe that will be? I'm not opposed to waiting for a bit. Like I said I would like for someone who wants to get the project going to get this stuff. I haven't fully gotten ready to post it for sale. Once I read your thread I thought this stuff would be almost perfect for what your looking for

chevelle496

TDI
2015 passat tdi
I'm having my own ordeal with purchasing this 2015 I bought. The day I test drove it had some brake issues, so they were going to fix it. I went back 3 days later to pick it up. While driving it home (60 miles away) about half way home I noticed it pulling to the right some thing terrible. Took it back the next day and now they have had it for 3 1/2 weeks and have yet to fix it.

chevelle496

TDI
2015 passat tdi
If it's something your serious about which I believe it is. I can email you pics of everything. And once your site of every thing I could take a small down payment of $100 and hold it for you. If some thing like that would be agreeable to you. Probably the proper way of doing things lol

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Im not sure how much longer. Its been in the review for a little over a week now. Seems some have had to wait for a month. I guess I dont really need to have the check first but do need to see how the review turns out and how much I will get. If the estimate is correct I should have plenty left over for if I get the needed parts from you.

Still need to get me a Cam, some studs (or PD150 head bolts), and purchase a tune from Malone.

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Anybody on here near the Sacramento (Folsom), CA that has the tools to retrieve the skc/pin from the cluster that can help me out?

I want to purchase a highline cluster for my jetta. I have a highline steering wheel control module that i will install and set up with my vcds. I also already installed the button steering wheel. Next step is the cluster

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
You'll probably get better luck posting a new thread in the regional forums.

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
cluster

If you cannot find someone local that has a version of vagtacho that will work, I would recommend shipping the original and the new cluster to forum member jetta97. He did a swap for me on my 06. Plug and play and 24 hour turn around.

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Can anyone confirm that the ARP 202-4303 kit is the kit that will work for the PD engine as long as you turn down the nuts or whatever modifications you decide in order to clear the cam caps?

Spec indicate that it is a M12 x 1.75 stud bit don't know what length they are in comparison to the stock head bolts

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Well, ARP claims that these studs are made from 8740 Chrome Molly and thus not recommend for diesel applications and that there is no other stud of the same dimensions made of ARP2000.

Would have to get custom made ones per them

lamboworld

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
You don't need new head studs for this car so don't waste your money.

If you want to save some money buy the PD140 from aarodriquez and get a Malone stage 4 tune. My wife has a MK7 GTI that has a stage 2 Cobb on it and I can keep up with her, at least until 100mph.

You will also need to get a new clutch and a Map 3bar sensor.

It is much easier to remove the turbo from the top and I would also clean the intake manifold while you are doing all of this work.

If you are looking to as much whp as possible out of this setup then I would also buy a downpipe, i went with the darkside downpipe because it was cheaper to ship it from the UK then to buy a downpipe in the states.

I have a darkside air intake for sale if you are interested. It does make a little more power but it was too loud for my taste.

Lastly, delete the EGR cooler.

I am still able to get a minimum of 43mpg on this setup and I could probably get upwards of 48 if I stay off of the throttle.

Last edited:

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I know I don't need any head studs and PD150 bolds will be more than sufficient, but I was hoping to do something that is not too common on the PD engine and I am not really a big fan of one time use bolts.if it comes down to it I will just get the bolts

I have been looking into clutches for the DSG transmission bit they seem to be real expensive and only needed when you are pushing big numbers. From my understanding the stock clutches on the DSG will be just fine for my power goals

I am not looking for the most HP I can get. More of the most smoke free that the GTB 1749v will provide. I spoke with Malone Tuning and they think about 170 HP is not to hard to do. For me I think that will be more than enough to make me happy

Because I am in California, I will be keeping the EGR installed.

Has anyone had carbon build up in the intake ports of the head? I am going to go through everything when I pull it all apart and give it a good cleaning. Bit because the intake in on the backside I dont know if it would be possible to get to the ports if it needed it. Another good reason to just pull the head

lamboworld

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I know I don't need any head studs and PD150 bolds will be more than sufficient, but I was hoping to do something that is not too common on the PD engine and I am not really a big fan of one time use bolts.if it comes down to it I will just get the bolts

I have been looking into clutches for the DSG transmission bit they seem to be real expensive and only needed when you are pushing big numbers. From my understanding the stock clutches on the DSG will be just fine for my power goals

I am not looking for the most HP I can get. More of the most smoke free that the GTB 1749v will provide. I spoke with Malone Tuning and they think about 170 HP is not to hard to do. For me I think that will be more than enough to make me happy

Because I am in California, I will be keeping the EGR installed.

Has anyone had carbon build up in the intake ports of the head? I am going to go through everything when I pull it all apart and give it a good cleaning. Bit because the intake in on the backside I dont know if it would be possible to get to the ports if it needed it. Another good reason to just pull the head
I had a huge amount of carbon in the intake manifold but I did not pull my head so I can speak for that. I used a propane torch and air to clean the intake which worked great. You will have to pull the head if you actually wan to clean it but I would say that it is not necessary.

I thought that you were manual and that is why i mentioned a clutch. If not manual then you are probably good to do. The turbo is actually pretty easy to change on this car.

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
In regards to clutches, I just noticed that at high rpm, ether coasting or under power I get a code p2711 and drops into neutral. Maybe I do need a set of clutches.

I may also just wait for Malone's DSG tune to see if it is corrected by that. If not then maybe I will swap out the one from my 09 before giving it back to VW

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Inspected the cam today. see some wear on the lobes for piston 2 & 3. 1 & 4 seem to be in better shape with less wear

mike505

TDI
06 JEtta brm TDI
Just replaced my cams and trying to finish up my build. I put the gtb1749, buzz ken downpipe, 3 bar sensor, stage 2 colt cams. My only advice is the banjo bolt on the oil line that connects to the turbo. Tighten it right before you install it. The actuator is in the way of the banjo bolt. It is very hard to get to. I might have to take my turbo off just to tighten it.

Last edited: