Need a teaching lesson in smoking

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
ok, so here's the deal ... I went from stock everything with 216's to RC3 with Sprint 520's (for now).

Here is what I noticed with the 216's: at idle it would not smoke and hard to WOT accelerations the smoke was slightly darker and heavy , soot was left on the ground and it would quit smoking pretty fast

With the current set-up at idle I do not see any smoke and on WOT accelerations there is some good amount of smoke which is lighter but no soot s left on the ground. Also when I roll into the accelerations there is no smoke until the turbo kicks in at which time a nice plume of smoke comes out.

Can someone tell me how interpret these smoke types differ from each other and if my cure to get rid of most of it is to increase IQ or increase air or a combination of the 2?

Last edited:

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
leaving soot on the ground means theres way too much on tip in what i mean by that is when you boot it hard from low down the fuel is shooting out the back before the turbo has chance to spool . high soot at tip in and clear after is just sounds normal for bigger injectors without a tune . with the sprint 520s and rc3 you have it acting the way it should but maybe its a bit too much fuel for your liking is that what your saying. as each person will interperate too much smoke differently. but iwouldnt change anything in vagcom i would contact jeff and get him to reduce the fuel , if you reduce it in vagcom you will reduce it throughout the rpm range reducing lowdown tourque where its already fine . you can increase the iq towards 6 which is the most you can reduce it in vagcom for now

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
leaving soot on the ground means theres way too much on tip in what i mean by that is when you boot it hard from low down the fuel is shooting out the back before the turbo has chance to spool . high soot at tip in and clear after is just sounds normal for bigger injectors without a tune . with the sprint 520s and rc3 you have it acting the way it should but maybe its a bit too much fuel for your liking is that what your saying. as each person will interperate too much smoke differently. but iwouldnt change anything in vagcom i would contact jeff and get him to reduce the fuel , if you reduce it in vagcom you will reduce it throughout the rpm range reducing lowdown tourque where its already fine . you can increase the iq towards 6 which is the most you can reduce it in vagcom for now
oops< I forgot that the car is getting a VNT 17 turbo, VR6 airbox along with PD150 intake and TIP. Maybe I should wait till all of this is installed and take a look at the smoke trail after ...

Look at this video; here is how I would like my car to smoke!

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
well it would be cleared right up with a vnt 17 easy i had pp520s maxed out with vnt 17 and there was no smoke at all .
but you,ll have it all re-tuned anyway to adjust for the bigger maf aswell as boost and even more fuel so i wouldnt touch anything now unless the smoke is really bad and harmful in anyway to your turbo. but i very much doubt it with an rc tune

Last edited:

Jasengine

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Golf GTD DSG 200bhp CBBB
What smoke? A little puff on pull away, not worth worrying about;) I was expecting clouds!

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
well it would be cleared right up with a vnt 17 easy i had pp520s maxed out with vnt 17 and there was no smoke at all .
but you,ll have it all re-tuned anyway to adjust for the bigger maf aswell as boost and even more fuel so i wouldnt touch anything now unless the smoke is really bad and harmful in anyway to your turbo. but i very much doubt it with an rc tune
I believe that the ECU was already remapped to take into consideration a VR6. I'll have an update in a few weeks ...

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
oops i just noticed you posted a video link , but as jason said what smoke . i had to wacth it twice to see any . i didnt think an rc tune would smoke especially on sprints . so nothing to worry you have no smoke and with a vnt 17 and sprints youre not likly to have :D

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
oops i just noticed you posted a video link , but as jason said what smoke . i had to wacth it twice to see any . i didnt think an rc tune would smoke especially on sprints . so nothing to worry you have no smoke and with a vnt 17 and sprints youre not likly to have :D
That's not my car and that's how I would ideally like my car to be ...

Jasengine

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Golf GTD DSG 200bhp CBBB
Oooooh I seeeeee! Ops sorry. Well, yes that is the ideal amount of smoke.

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MKIV 2000, 2003, and MKV 2006 PD DSG
WOW i'm impressed, though he didn't seem to stand on it real hard tbh. I bet if he got into it more it would have smoked a bit. My car won't smoke unless I take it past 50 percent throttle and even then WOT won't clear a street let alone haze it up real good.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Most TDI's don't smoke at all up to 80% throttle or so. The amount after that is all about the tune. The first puff down low is referred to tip in. No smoke at 3500 rpm WOT is easy, but getting FAST spool AND MINIMAL tip in smoke is very very hard to do. That extra heat created by excess fuel helps that turbo come to life. You can ask Jeff to reduce fueling, just keep in mind it'll slow you down.
There is no perfect fix is what I'm trying to say. If you're thinking a larger turbo will help, well maybe but then you'll need another remap and maybe even more fuel LOL. IOW, it's a vicious circle with a very delicate balance. If you want to limit smoke, roll into the throttle more gradually. Mashing it to the floor at 1800 rpm will result in smoke in 99% of all tuned TDI's in NA.
The other option is to run B100 ;-)

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I do roll into it and it does not smoke but once the turbo kicks in a nice puff of black smoke comes out! I am going to start blending some bio in the fuel but I will not run full bio ...
Lets see what happens once the other mods are in! Philip, as usual your are the smartest guy around as I have said before ;)!

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Get your software fixed. It is tuned right now to inject more fuel at WOT for more TQ.
Once the rest of the parts go in I will give it a go and see what happens and if needed I will have the software tweaked to be smokeless ...

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Most TDI's don't smoke at all up to 80% throttle or so. The amount after that is all about the tune. The first puff down low is referred to tip in. No smoke at 3500 rpm WOT is easy, but getting FAST spool AND MINIMAL tip in smoke is very very hard to do. That extra heat created by excess fuel helps that turbo come to life. You can ask Jeff to reduce fueling, just keep in mind it'll slow you down.
There is no perfect fix is what I'm trying to say. If you're thinking a larger turbo will help, well maybe but then you'll need another remap and maybe even more fuel LOL. IOW, it's a vicious circle with a very delicate balance. If you want to limit smoke, roll into the throttle more gradually. Mashing it to the floor at 1800 rpm will result in smoke in 99% of all tuned TDI's in NA.
The other option is to run B100 ;-)
Philip, I just put 8 gallons of B99 in the tank yesterday and I have been driving around a bit and the smoke level has gone done a bit. I am planning on running +/-B5 going forward which I know will not have the same effect. However for now I am just happy to get the smoke a little under control. ;) It does not smoke like a freight train when using D2 but it does smoke when the turbo kicks in just for a few seconds which just annoys me! Next step after the goodies go in under the hoods will be a re-tune~!

Last edited: