P0226 Code - Throttle Position Sensor?

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
So I was in like 2nd gear going around a corner tonight and suddenly the go pedal stopped working and I got a CEL. I would push it down with no result. I limped the car home at idle and looked up/cleared the code with scangauge: P0226. My search indicated that this was the throttle position sensor. The question is: what do i do? :)

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
I have had the same problem intermitently with my NB. Mine only happens sometimes in heavy rain or very wet conditions. If it sits overnite its fine the next day. The scangauge is always hooked up in my car and the tps shows that it is working even when i get the code. In my car the cruise will still work if i clear the cell and get the car past 29mph. I have limped home this way, you would not want to be behind me in town when it happens.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Very good to know. It has been raining like crazy here. I will start her up tomorrow and see what she does. Thanks!

Wayne Boudreau

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI Sedan and 2003 Jetta GLX Wagon
I had the same problem, was stranded in traffic one day. Limped home, took the throttle control ( gas Pedal) off , "3 10mm nuts" ounce I had it off "4 phillips screws" and cleaned the contacts with contact cleaner bent the contacts slightly to ensure they make proper contact, that was months ago no further problems

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A night of drying out seemed to do the trick. She's running fine now. I might dig in and clean those contacts anyways.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Wayne Boudreau said:
I had the same problem, was stranded in traffic one day. Limped home, took the throttle control ( gas Pedal) off , "3 10mm nuts" ounce I had it off "4 phillips screws" and cleaned the contacts with contact cleaner bent the contacts slightly to ensure they make proper contact, that was months ago no further problems
Wayne, what car was it that gave u the problem? Was it wet when it happened? I have had my pedal apart
(looked like new inside). Also cleaned all conectors and grounds, thought my problem was cured, but months later it came back.

Last edited:

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
It does seem once you start having problems with the TPS that replacing it is the best and most expensive way to go. what happens next time it goes out on you and you have to have to towed back home or shop. Mine went bad 6 years ago, just coded and stopped working for a but. I had the VCDS with me and pulled the code and went ahead and bought a new one ( they were a lot cheaper then). The second time it did leave me setting but having the spare in the trunk I just swapped them out and never more a problem. You could find a used one I guess on car-parts.com and carry it for a spare or just get AAA plus (towing in 100 miles to your place of choice)

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Interesting. Can the TPS be bought individually, or do you have to get the entire pedal assembly? Does anyone have the part number(s)?

Wayne Boudreau

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI Sedan and 2003 Jetta GLX Wagon
The car was 2000 Jetta TDI and I hear that water has been known to come in from the wiring harness to the plug that connects the throttle pos sensor. really all it is a a huge volume control , a potentiometer, in any case slight bend of the contacts as well as cleaning with contact spray worked fine for me....

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Wayne Boudreau said:
The car was 2000 Jetta TDI and I hear that water has been known to come in from the wiring harness to the plug that connects the throttle pos sensor. ....
Good call on this one Wayne. It appears to be the problem in my NB. I only have the problem in the rain and the next day it is fine.

--- I have come to the conclusion that when driving at highway speeds with the sun roof up 1 click, recirc off and the fan off, my TPS will fail within 40 to 90 miles. If i leave the roof closed and turn the fan on i have no problems.

--- I have not actually checked the wires to see if they are wet.

--- My theory is that with the roof open and the fan off there is negative pressure in the cabin causing water to be drawn into the wires and making the TPS fail. Roof closed fan on keep cabin under positive pressure.

coronan

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf
Is no one using electrical contact grease???
My SGII still reads 99 and 0.
Has anyone Re-calibrated the Tps???

coronan

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf
I pulled my TPS apart last nite. Indede there was moisture on top of the houseing. It could easially come in from the fire wall penetration where I have run my EGT/ Boost gauge through.

The Heyes manual is not accurate. It shows a 2x3 connector. Mine is a 1 x 6 pin connector.
The OHM test did not show any continuity.

Does anyone have a bentley for this.

Also note when taking appart the TPS there is some adjustment. I did not match mark mine because i didnt notice it untill i was putting it back together.
I cleaned it w/ electrical cleaner.
I did the best i could by lining up the screw marks.

I wanted to silicone the gasket but this would not allow adjustment so I put electrical grease around the gasket.

The manual does not specify how to set up the adjustment. I remember on my subaru the TPS gets adjusted on the car checking continuity between 2 pins.

I put it back in. Did the calibration by flooring it for 1 min w/ the key turned to accessory.

It appears to have resolved it self.
SGII still shows 99 & 0

Last edited:

UK_TDI_190

Plastic Housing

Hi Guys, I'm trying to replace the accelerator pedal on my 03 Golf ARL and found that I can't remove the last nut because theres a darn plastic cover for the wiring which is in the way! Its the nut on the top right corner.

I tried to remove the cover - but even thats got nuts which are a pain to loosen as I can't get a socket in!

Why can't VW make anything easy to repair???

Any advise on how you guys managed to remove the pedal would be great. Thanks and a Merry Christmas / New Years to the whole family.

coronan

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf
My 01 golf wasn't exactly user friendly. I didn't have any swing with a regular ratchet and was wishing for my air ratchet.
Thats after removing the plastic dash pieces left and right of the steering wheel and the plastic supporting the dash. Its all plastic clips and torx screws.
I think I put it back together with a swivel and 2 long extensions.

I dont know what they changed in 03.

sassafras

TDI
99.5 jetta gls tdi
My TPS went out this week on my 99.5 and been having issues with it for 2 years now. Got a new hella pedal assembly and installed today. After install I started the motor and it went straight to 1500rpm, I hit the pedal and rpms dropped back down and I still have no throttle response. Does the sensor need to be programmed or what? Please help. Just had a baby last week and this is our only transportation.

Last edited:

sassafras

TDI
99.5 jetta gls tdi
Tried the 5 second thing last night and still nothing. Had to run to Ingles this morning and started the Jetta and the rpms shot up to 2grand and running really rough. I hit the pedal and it dropped back to 1200. Still pulling throttle position sensor code. I'm going to check for voltage I
guess and go from there. The motor is definitely running different on
start up since replacing the TPS though.

sassafras

TDI
99.5 jetta gls tdi
Ok. I double checked the part # and it did not match up. Called the stealer parts dept. and found out that the throttle actuator was for a
gasser. The number on the box matched but had the wrong part inside.
Got the right part now and good to go.thx

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Ok. I double checked the part # and it did not match up. Called the stealer parts dept. and found out that the throttle actuator was for a
gasser. The number on the box matched but had the wrong part inside.
Got the right part now and good to go.thx
What was the correct number on the actual piece? I'm having problems with a new pedal as well.

Edit : just noticed your model year, and pretty sure it's a different part after mid-2001...oh well

lindyhop

TDI
2.0 TDI
P0226

Hello,

I am new to this forum and new to owning a VW. I have a 2004 Passat wagon GLS 2.0 TDI. Unfortunately on the way home after purchasing, the CEL came on and it was a P0226. I went to a shop and cleared it but it came on again within 10 minutes.

I have read through these posts and am not sure they apply to me.

- The car is not acting up in anyway, no problems with acceleration or driving.
- It has been mostly dry
- No other codes showing

I have done some research and found this video about cleaning the TPS, please let me know your thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcmA2Yc3JJw

Also, this throttle body (I know it doesn't have one but I am at a loss for a name) seems like a nightmare to get out, am I right?

Thank you very much,

cue-tipse

TDI
03 Jetta
When the TPS stats acting up, has anyone tought of just shutting the engine off and starting it back? It happened to me a couple times, did not fixed the trouble (of course) but at least I was able to drive at a normal speed untill it randomly happened again! Just saying... at least that way you don't have to drive back home at 12 km/h!