How often do you change your wiper blades?

How often do you change your Wiper Blades?

• Total voters

warbird24

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Due to the temp extremes here from -5 to 90+ in the course of a year, I change mine when needed, and that equates to about twice a year. Depending on the use, the rear gets done one to two times a year also. My problem with the rear is ripped rubber due to my own laziness by either not clearing frost and ice before putting it into reverse gear after start up.

I use either Bosch Icon blades or Bosch Evolution blades on the front, and I can only find the rear one at the dealership.

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
Changing them before they show a sign of streaking/chattering is like saying I'm gonna change the oil every 1,000 miles because, well,.... it will be better.
No sense changing something that is working properly and doesn't hurt a thing. It's only a waste of $$.
And if you're the type that "loves the environment"(gag me with a spoon), you're wasting resources :)

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Changing them before they show a sign of streaking/chattering is like saying I'm gonna change the oil every 1,000 miles because, well,.... it will be better.
No sense changing something that is working properly and doesn't hurt a thing. It's only a waste of $$.
And if you're the type that "loves the environment"(gag me with a spoon), you're wasting resources :)
I've never done an oil analysis, but I hear that generally the oil is good to 15,000 miles. So 10,000 is pre-emptive. Just like replacing my wiper blades yearly, before they start streaking, is pre-emptive. ;) Oh, and just like replacing the fuel filter at 20k per the maintenance schedule is pre-emptive. ;) They can go a lot longer than that.

Heck, maybe I should just run my engine oil 'until I notice a problem', then replace it.

1plant4u

TDI
2011 sportwagon
I replaced the original wipers this time last year with Bosch 3397118979 Aerotwin Wiper Blade Set from Amazon.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
I recently got some Piia curve blade silicone wipers, they are the best wipers I have ever had. Don't know about life yet but the passenger side has been on all winter with no signs of wear yet.

zagato27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDi CW Titan 6MT Pano Nav Interlagos
Just replaced my original blades on my '12 JSW as they just started seperating. Got some Michelin Ultra's at Advance Auto. They have the correct plastic bits so they go on easy. Waiting for rain;)

Update: We had rain! Blades work great. Course they are brand new so we'll have to wait and see how they age. Right now I'd recommend them, although they are a bit pricey $18 and$16 each I believe. Advance Auto has em. Cheers

rms85702

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
I always go OEM, I change them when the rubber separates from the blade itself, about once a year, In AZ the sun does a lot of damage...
Sounds about right. Summer will kill them, than once the rain starts and relief from the hot summer is finally here your stuck replacing them and getting soaked. :cool: At least once...

TDI Kovács

Veteran Member
TDI
Two Preban TDI's; One "FIXED" TDI.
Never changed them because I've never used them. I use something on my windshield which repels water. Not rain x.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
My blades didn't last 25,000 km on a new '13 jetta.
Absolute garbage, replaced them with Trico Force ad much happier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
I can never get a year out of a set of blades. Maybe it is because our VWs are 10 and 20 years old respectively, but blades are usually pretty streaky by about 6-9 months. Older windshields tend to have more little nicks and scratches which wear blades down faster. Plus it does rain a lot here! Really though summer bugs seem to do some significant damage.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Got Haggis?

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf DSG
$25 + shipping here:
http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1755

$11.50 + shipping here:
http://www.1stvwparts.com/partscat.html

$11 here:
http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-R-13B-Rear-Wiper-Blade/dp/B003BZINKU/
(picture doesn't match the description, though)

Is the internet really that hard to use?
no but amazon tells me that part won't fit my car - and after searching around, i saw multiple people say the main place to get it is at the dealer. but thanks

Last edited:

PressEnter[]

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta 6M
I just had my wipers replaced for the first time when I went for my annual inspection, and honestly that was just for convenience. They were still working fine after 12 months, including a pretty rough winter.

TDI
2015 Passat 6M
One thing I like in a car is being able to see out. I drove one of my brother's cars through a steady rain from DC to St. Louis years ago. He thinks oil changes (and wipers) are for sissies. I bought a set on the road and was amazed at how much of a difference they made. Consumer Reports says the best start to streak at 6 months. That's my change interval.

GAZNRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW
Just replaced mine for 1st time at 31,000 miles. Rubber was starting to pull away cause missed spot on wipe cycle. Got all 3 at dealer for $55.15 - OUCH!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Living in the flight path of the Charlotte airport, I usually have to change mine about every 9 months. Jet fuel particultes are extremely hard on the rubber. The dealer is the only local place that carries the rear wipers for both the Golf and JSW. I think I put Michelins on both the last time I switched. My wife doesn't use her washers as much as I do. A dirty windshield drives me nuts.

HUVW

TDI
05 Passat Highline 4Motion
I recently got some Piia curve blade silicone wipers, they are the best wipers I have ever had. Don't know about life yet but the passenger side has been on all winter with no signs of wear yet.
The correct spelling is PIAA. I've used their refills for years and agree with the quality. I won't use anything else.

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
Bosch Icons, every two years...about $25-$30 each. Rear from the dealer only. In 4 years of ownership, I have only changed it once.

Patriot

TDI
2012 VW Golf TDI 6M 4dr Tech
I replaced the fronts last month, just over two years old. Valeo's from Tire Rack.
The rear got an earlier replacement because I got reckless with the ice scraper.

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
Just bought a set of Goodyear wipers at Costco ~$7-8 ea IIRC. My originals were still operational for the few times per trip I use them with the Rain-X but it seems like a good idea to try some new ones, especially at the price.

Last edited:

cornfed

TDI
06 jetta
My 06 Jetta has 134000 mi and the original blades. The passenger side just started to streak. Does anyone know what blades were used from factory? Would like to replace with exact same blade.

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
I replace them whenever the wife complains, usually after the first rain in spring or fall. Dirt, ozone and UV seem to kill them here because the tend to take a set. had some silicone ones, cant find them now, run Bosch supers from wallyworld.