Deeds' Q5 TDI Ownership Log

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Well my shop just sent out their New Year's specials on performance upgrades. Time to make some calls and see what they suggest on the Intercooler for the A6.

Pittdawg you the only one who made that SQ5 upgrade?
As far as I know. I found some blog post from Slovakia describing the process and just went for it.

Brokein2

TDI
2015 Q5
Why wait for Spring? Found a great deal on a Wagner intercooler...

Car definitely likes breathing cold air. Hardest part of the install is getting the old hoses off as this one comes with new ones.

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI S-Line + Black Optics Package
Why wait for Spring? Found a great deal on a Wagner intercooler...

Car definitely likes breathing cold air. Hardest part of the install is getting the old hoses off as this one comes with new ones.

Nice- That looks awesome! Install was pretty straight forward after the bumper was removed right? My next project is having a custom fab crashbar made to replace the huge one that blocks off a huge part of the intercooler. I have a close friend who owns an engineering and fab shop and I’m hoping (as long as he doesn’t charge me for too much [emoji2955]) to get something fabricated like the one below—>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brokein2

TDI
2015 Q5
Yep...bumper comes off no problem. I have looked at the area blocked by the actual aluminum bumper and even with it there, the area of the new intercooler is still more than twice the original. As seen in this picture below, even if you removed the aluminum bumper, the external plastic "bumper cover" that holds the license plate would still block the air from a direct shot through that part of the intercooler.

A bar like that might ok as long as it still ties into the sacrificial mounts on the front of the frame but the small diameter would have a hard time transferring the kinetic energy of an impact over a long distance. Maybe if it was 2.5 OD with a .250 wall, it could do the job. That is a great idea though...

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
Very good point and I’ve thought about that. I’d be upgrading to a honeycomb front grill if I made the crashbar step!

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI

The next mod has come! Vogtland springs that lower 1.2 front and 1.2 rear. From talking to a guy at Urotuning (which has the best price btw), he said the springs are slightly stiffer than stock and not nearly as stiff as h&r. I’ll be installing them these next few days and will give you my reviews.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
Nice man. Love the idea of the springs. Any reason you didn't get bilstein b8's to match them ( I think it's the b8s that's for lowering.... if not it's the b6s). I've heard that the bilsteins make a world of difference w/o sacrificing comfort.... Also when your good to go can you please comment on comfort, handling, and MPG... I've heard that it can help highway. I know looks and all... just curious.

Keep up the awesome work!

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Daemon,

I went with just springs rather than springs + bilsteins for a few of reasons.

1. I wanted to keep my stock struts because they offer the adjustable ride dampening (comfort, auto, dynamic, and custom). If I wanted to keep the adjustable ride dampening and get new struts, I would have to go with some pretty expensive struts as I think the only adjustable ride dampening struts I found for the Q5 TDI were $250 more than the regular struts w/o magnetic dampening. When the time comes and I install the spring that I just bought, if they are too stiff and I am not pleased with the ride quality, I will look into getting the adjustable dampening new struts for my springs or just revert back to stock

2. I don’t want to drop my ride height a lot. Even with h&r’s drop height being 1.6F and 1.5R, I was almost seeing that as barely too much of a drop. Seeing as Vogtland springs only drop 1.2 front and rear, I saw that as the perfect middle ground for drop height. I know the difference is very minimal but that’s slightly more than 1/4 inch in the rear and almost 1/2” for the front.

3. This is The primary reason I chose Vogtland. I think the springs could be a “undiscovered” gem in the Q5 TDI world as I never see discussions around them. They could be perfect for people who don’t want much of a drop or too harsh of a ride. I’ve read a lot of people (almost all from what I’ve read on forums) have gone with h&r springs and I’ve heard mixed results from “they’re amazing” to “they’re too stiff so I went back to stock”. From everything i’ve searched on the Internet and forums (and I’ve been looking around for about a year), I have found nothing on the Vogtland springs. So I’m partly doing this is as a guinea pig and I’m hoping to have good results to share for those people who are similar me and don’t want too stiff of a ride. After talking to the guy at Urotuning, he told me they’re very similar to stock and not nearly as stiff as h&r, which is exactly what I’m looking for. In the end, if they’re too stiff or I don’t like them, I’ll go with bilsteins or revert back to stock if I don’t like them.

Last edited:

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
Diesel,

That makes a ton of sense. I didn't even consider the adaptive.... hahaha I don't have them so for me it's an easy and cheaper jump. Looking to hear on the vogtland springs. I'd rather do a minimum drop as well... like having good ground clearance....haha. Plus the other half doesnt agree with dropping it at all "Its an SUV, kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?". So I have to find minimum drop when I do mine... hahaha

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Diesel,
That makes a ton of sense. I didn't even consider the adaptive.... hahaha I don't have them so for me it's an easy and cheaper jump. Looking to hear on the vogtland springs. I'd rather do a minimum drop as well... like having good ground clearance....haha. Plus the other half doesnt agree with dropping it at all "Its an SUV, kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?". So I have to find minimum drop when I do mine... hahaha
Now I am thinking of a mild raise to throw on some big tires for the zombie apocalypse!

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
Plus the other half doesnt agree with dropping it at all "Its an SUV, kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?". So I have to find minimum drop when I do mine... hahaha
Haha totally man! My brother is the complete opposite of me- he lifts everything he’s ever had, which is totally fine. I just don’t have a reason to lift any of my rides as the most adventurist I get is heading up to the mountains to ski and driving some groomed, bumpy, national forest dirt roads that lead up to a hike.

Now I am thinking of a mild raise to throw on some big tires for the zombie apocalypse!
Oh nice! I’d love to do that but I just don’t have a reason to. There’s a Touareg on these forums that has a lift on his- it looks amazing

Last edited:

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
Alright- Vogtland springs are installed! I put them in yesterday with my neighbor. I will outline the steps we took (with pictures that I took during removal and installation) at a later date but for now, here is the before and after.

Before:

After:

Initial thoughts after installation:
I took the Q5 out for a drive and noticed driving on the road hasn’t changed much during normal, everyday driving, when in auto or comfort (maybe a smidge stiffer in auto). When I put the car in dynamic or auto and hit turns hard- the difference was huge! Especially when in dynamic. The car is much more fun to drive and sits perfect (in my opinion). I will post steps with pictures later :)

Last edited:

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Diesel,

My other half and I were looking at the pictures. Looks really nice man. Even she doesn't mind the mild drop. I got to say though, that black optics package looks damn nice on that car. I never noticed it before / even thought to look since I was just trying to get any q5 diesel at the time... hahahaha... Looking at your car it amazes me how much chrome is on mine now. So funny.

I like the look, still not sure about dropping it or not myself. But you've ratcheted me 1 point in that direction... hahaha I'm curious about your alignment after and such.

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Daemon! I just dropped the car off to get an alignment and I had the alignment checked beforehand too about a week ago so I’ll post before and after results.

As far as the black optic package, a buddy of mine plasty dipped a bunch of the chrome parts that he had it on his car and it looks about the same as the black optic’s package and he told me it wasn’t too complicated of a process once you tape the parts off that you don’t want to paint/dip. And the great thing with plastic dip, is if you don’t like it or you make a mistake, you can just peel it right off.

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Pittdawg and yeah I agree- for OEM, they’re my favorites. I have a set of 20” Vorsteiner VFF 102’s waiting to be put on when UPS delivers my 4th wheel and tire.. they lost one of the wheels+tire during delivery a month ago and just found it.. sent it back to the sender, and now it’s finally (and hopefully) on it it’s final trip to my garage. ETA April 6th.

Next on the list:

1. DTUK TCU tune, delivered yesterday- just need to install
2. Change center diff fluid, just waiting on special unicorn Audi center diff oil to get here (just did front and rear diff fluid a week ago)
3. Put 20” Vorsteiner VFF 102 wheels on

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Awesome. Please post your results on the DTUK TCU tune. I have a Sprintbooster which I enjoy but not the same as a TCU tune.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
Diesel,

I agree, and thanks for the advice on the plasti. Also how'd the alignment go? You have a build thread that largely matches up with mine.... hahaha... later in the spring i plan on getting these: https://www.moddedeuros.com/product...-light-weight-wheel-satin-graphite-5x112-et40 w/ Conti DWS 06 255/45/20 ( currently rocking 19" stockers and this combo is almost 9lbs per corner lighter )... hahaha.... Looking at Bilsteins, and either your springs, or new stockers. And would be curious to hear about the tranny tune. Something more extreme that I am considering... is to remove the moonroof, source a stock metal sheet pan, they exist obviously because you could get the car w/o it, and the headliner. A little more head room, but I've read that is is approx on this vehicle a 200 lbs weight reduction at the highest point in the vehicle... handling, performance, and mpg's anyone?

Last edited:

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
Moonroof delete? Yes please! I’ve been wanting to delete my moonroof forever with all the damn noises it makes. I’ve looked into getting an insert (metal, plexiglass, poly, etc) that just goes in the glass’ place but can’t find anything- it’d have to be a custom job. Where the hell do I find a new roof pan?? Cheers

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
8R0817111D is the manufacturers part number. Expensive as hell, and you'd need a body shop to do it and paint. Here is the full section w/ the re-inforcements as well listed: https://parts.audiusa.com/a/Audi__Q5/49158383__6010324/ROOF--COMPONENTS/1385495.html

and this is the black headliner w/o sunroof https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi_20...LINING-WO-SunRoof/65149963/8R0867505TK23.html

There are other ones in other colors, depends on your trim color as well ofcourse.

Alternatively for that kind of money for 2k, you can find a custom body shop that will just make it for you, and have them do a headliner for likely less than audi will charge you for the parts. But its' a ton of weight for the glass and motors, vs just the sheet metal.

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
Installed 20x9.5 ET37 Vorsteiner VFF 102

I shaved about 8lbs per corner and increased wheel width by 1”- the handling has improved tremendously

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking real good. Sounds promising for me going to 20's. 2 questions....

1. Are you still running 255/45/20 or did you go bigger with the rims?

2. After the vogtland drop were you able to get the alignment 100% back into spec?

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking real good. Sounds promising for me going to 20's. 2 questions....

1. Are you still running 255/45/20 or did you go bigger with the rims?

2. After the vogtland drop were you able to get the alignment 100% back into spec?

Thanks Daemon!
1. Since I increased the wheel width and I didn’t want to throw my speedometer off from my stock size tires and wheels, the best size tire to go with for a 20x9.5 wheel is a 265/45/20 (the difference is like 65.7mph when you’re actually going 65mph if I remember right). Any other tire size throws the speedometer off more. Like you mentioned though, a 255/45/20 would be the most accurate for a 20x8.5 wheel.

2. I took it over to Les Schwab since it’s about a block away from my house. I drove about 40mi with my car not aligned to with the new springs (although I had my alignment checked a week beforehand and it was as good as it could be then so I don’t think they had to do too much adjusting). The manager said the toe is typically out of wack when someone drops their car. I think the camber is only adjustable to a certain amount with the oem control arms? I honestly have no idea and don’t understand what toe and caster are so I’d be the wrong person to ask lol. Here’s my spec sheet AFTER I did my drop and had it aligned:

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Diesel,

Isn't too bad, just looks like you need camber adjustments to bring it back into spec. You probably need something like these: https://store.034motorsport.com/034...cting-b8-audi-a4-s4-rs4-a5-s5-rs5-q5-sq5.html

It looks like your still in spec in the rear( barely ) but I don't see anything anywhere for getting those into spec. Atleast the fronts are out a decent amount, and if it bothered you, you could get them back into spec... Tires might wear wierd, and won't contact the ground as well w/ negative camber out of spec... Your call ofcourse... hahahaha

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh nice! Like I said before, I have no idea what is considered “significantly out of spec”. You seem to know more about that stuff than I do. Is my car alignment significantly of out of spec? If I’m going to chew through tires every 20k miles, then I’ll definitely get the control arms that you posted with the adjustable camber kit.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Diesel,

Its' really a matter of who you ask to some degree. The stance guys would tell you more more more. But heres the reality in my view... The engineers at Audi know what the hell they're doing and spec for your car is 0 to -.8 .... So most that i know of suggest getting as close to 0 as possible, or at the very least in the middle of the spec... so in your case -.4 for the middle. You left front is -1.3 so almost 1 full degree off from "ideal" and your right is -.9 so about -.5 degrees off of idea. The more concerning thing to me at the very least is that the two sides are not equal, which means 1 wheel is leaning an extra almost -.4 degree from the other. I don't know I guess my though is the more you can make things equal out the more predictable it is. If it was me it would irk me and I'd order the the adjustable control arms. Something to consider if it meets your budget and seems interesting to you is if you have enough miles... you may want control arm, balljoints and etc... refresh w/ something a little more solid.... You could go w/ https://store.034motorsport.com/den...rol-arm-kit-b8-b8-5-audi-a4-s4-a5-s5-rs5.html --- They have a "camber correcting" set which gets you those arms and the rest. But if you don't believe there is enough wear on the extra components and such I'd skip it. ( This is their "Density Line" so the rubber is a little more solid than the factor rubber giving much more precise and agile steering inputs, and less flex but not quite to the level of poly. This is the kit I'm going with when i get closer to 75k I plan on doing this full set, bilstein, and the vogtlands.... all at once. #CorneringBeast ... especially since i have the roll bars and etc... anyway...

Last edited:

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
You probably have not driven much like all of us but have you had any opportunity to test out the DTUK TCU tune?

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
You probably have not driven much like all of us but have you had any opportunity to test out the DTUK TCU tune?

Hey Pittdawg- I have! I’ve had it on for the last ~80 miles and love it. The shifts are much better: they are faster, the gears are no longer held at awkward RPMS (which happened after I deleted, straight piped, and tuned) and they don’t jerk nearly as hard as before when going from a stop to driving; the car feels much better and overall more refined. When I put my car into dynamic mode, the difference is huge. The car shifts incredibly fast. Apparently the car is still “learning” during the first 100mi after the TCM tune is installed. One of the biggest reasons I got the TCM tune is because I plan on getting a bigger turbo along with an upgraded fuel pump in the future (I’ve already communicated with Darkside Developments regarding the specific pump upgrade) and wanted to make sure my transmission could hold the increased torque and hp. I believe the tune was worth the money and install was very simple. Install took about ~7min total which includes the 5min idle time after installing.