06 Jetta BRM Starts Then Stops When Hot

TheRagnarok

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I will start off with saying that this forum has been an indispensable resource for all of the repairs that I have successfully performed on this car!
Thanks!

So, I was having an issue where the car would stall at a stop light and not run more than 2 seconds. Changed the EGR Valve and that helped with a majority of the stalls.
When the car is up to operating temp, I can shut off the engine, crank the car, it will start and run for 2 seconds, then the engine dies.
The dash lights all look normal and no codes being thrown.
So I had it stall at a red light yesterday and it wouldn't restart no matter how long i waited.
I unplugged the Crankshaft Position Sensor and it fired up!
Got home and plugged the sensor back in... the issue came back.
From reading the forums harness chaffing seems to be a common problem for the cars.
Im going to dive into the harness under the airbox first.
Also, I read my torsion at -0.5 degrees and it moves to 0.0 when I rev the engine, so i think the sensor is possibly good.
I welcome any input.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Wiring harness is a good guess. Triple check the grounds while you're digging around, that was the issue mine had and would only do it when warm.

Since it's only 10 bucks, it may also be worth it to change out relay 460. It's known to create similar problems.

Last edited: