Ball joint replacement? How bad?

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
Anyone replace their front ball joints recently? How did it go? What else did you replace? I've been thinking about doing the ones on my B4 and am just wondering what kind of job I'm looking at? Also any specials tools needed?

Also what's with these "second design unthreaded" ball joints??

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Aside from corrosion, the B4 front suspension has to be one of the easiest I've worked on. The ball joints are probably the easiest part.

If you suspect the ball joints need to be replaced, I wouldn't hesitate to replace them. Easy to do.

Make sure you use jack stands and be careful!

Tony

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Agreed. I love the design, so easy to replace.

Undo the nut and bolt near the top (the horizontal ones, and you have to remove the bolt completely), then remove the three bolts from underneath, remove ball joint, reassemble with new parts.

Most of the time it's quick & easy.

The second design unthreaded ball joint is great, basically it's a ball joint with no top threaded portion. The one in your picture has the threaded portion on it, and the problem is if the tapered fit comes loose, it is difficult to hold the top portion from spining if the nut isn't all the way off. On the second design, there is a recessed portion on this top piece, and the bolt that goes through horizontally uses it as a keeper, so it won't come off. It also clamps the top portion together, which is easy to spread with a chisel or ply bar making the joint removal MUCH easier. No special puller is needed.

Last edited:

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
Ok I'm just going to get the threaded ones like whats on there and be done with it. Anyone replace any bushings or other things on the front end while down there?

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
As long as you dont' have corrosion you'll be okay. Brearing press kit for an impact wrench for the bushings, hammer and pry bar for opening the ball joint socket, and a little patience. Took 15 min to get my 2nd ball joint off and it had corrosion. Control arm bushings took about 30 min because I never had pressed bushings before. It really is pretty simple.

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
Now looking at mine they don't look like the one above. It seems mine have a part that clamps around the top of the ball joint? Does this mean I'll need the non-threaded ones? Actually I can only find those.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Super easy job and replace your rear factory " garbage" rear a-arm bushings with Audi TT ones while you're in there.

slapshotjh

Veteran Member
TDI
97 GLX B4V
I did this job this past weekend. I got the harbor freight tool for the inner ball joints and it made the job quite easy.

the hardest part was getting the boots on. If the control arms had been out it would have been easier I think. Each boot took about an hour to wiggle on there - there just isn't any room to get your hands or a tool in there..

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I forgot how I changed the one on my A3 yeas ago(I think I did it while replacing axle). Can the wheel be on ground(as in on car ramps)to remove ball joint,or does the wheel have to be in air? I'll be doing both sides,then hopefully an alignment check tomorow after work.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Does the driveshaft actually have to be disconnected from tranny? I'd rather not mess w/ those bolts if I don't have to(12pt)-I don't own the best bit for those,and the bit broke 1/2 way through last timeI was putting axle in-got a replacement one,but of same quality(Autozone warranty)......

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Does the driveshaft actually have to be disconnected from tranny? .....
Not necessary to disconnect the driveshaft.

I'd mark the nut plate and bolt head locations on the LCA so you can at least be close when installing the new ball joint. This keeps your alignment close enough until you can get it to the shop for a proper alignment.