How often to change timing belt? Looking to buy a 2002, need help.

njcristovao

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I'm looking to buy a TDI and join the TDI club. :) I'll be looking at a Jetta and a Golf tomorrow, both 2002 model years.

My main question is in regard to the timing belt. The Golf had it changed at 60k miles, and the Jetta at 76k miles. What is the recommended interval for changing the timing belt for a 2002 model?

I believe prior to 2003, timing belts had to be changed more often, is that right? Is there anything that can be done to only have to change the timing belt every 100k (?) miles like 2003 and greater models?

Also, what are the main things I should ask, or check in regards to buying a TDI?

Any information would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

revkev73

TDI
2002 vw golf
I am a driver of a 2002 Golf TDI and am not a mechanic. I waited 161,000 miles to have mine replaced, along with the water pump, etc. It was WAY too long, obviously. My timing belt had skipped two cogs and was running poorly. I think the new deluxe kit that Jason TDI of Madison, Wisconsin installed from DieselGeek is rated for 100,000 miles.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
2002 TDIs came with an 80K TB setup. Change with one of the deluxe kits our fine vendors sell to get the 100K setup.

Can't answer about a "standard" belt. There are belts systems with 60, 80, and 100K ratings. These are dependent on belt material and bearing sizes of the rollers used.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
TB change intervals

revkev73 said:
I am a driver of a 2002 Golf TDI and am not a mechanic. I waited 161,000 miles to have mine replaced, along with the water pump, etc. It was WAY too long, obviously. My timing belt had skipped two cogs and was running poorly. I think the new deluxe kit that Jason TDI of Madison, Wisconsin installed from DieselGeek is rated for 100,000 miles.
Just another example that the TB has a pretty good "safety factor" built into the change interval.

Of course, the safety factor would seem to be directly related to the rated milage of the particular TB that is installed. i.e. 40k, 60k, 80k, or 100k.

So, it would seem that those who change their TB "early" to be on the safe side may just be jumping the gun!

revkev73

TDI
2002 vw golf
I am sure a lot of it depends upon how strenuous the miles were, how old the belt is, were there extreme conditions, etc. Mine, at 161,000 was on the outer limits, having slipped one cog before arriving at the shop and another cog while driving it to the motel waiting for parts for the next day. My new one is rated at 100,000 miles but I will change it at 80,000 just to be sure the next time. 50,000 seems like jumping the gun a lot.

JASON TDI just replaced my intake manifold and wow, what a difference. That engine now has the "governor" off of it and it really screams again. There was about a 85% blockage in two places which caused the RPMs to cut out at about 3,200. The blockage occured slowly and my wife usually drives it so it was tougher to detect for me. If I could figure out how to post a picture on this forum I would send it. Any suggestions?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Seem easiest to use photobucket or flikr, then link to it from here.

revkev73

TDI
2002 vw golf
I don't understand flicker or postbucket. Sorry. The pictures are on an e-mail and I try to copy and to past into this field and it won't do it. Any other help?

The insert image option (above) needs a URL.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
flickr and photobucket are photo/video sharing websites. Once your account is created and photos uploaded, they provide the URL to put into that box.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
As stated above, the 2002's have an 80,000 mile rating for the timing belt system... And when the belt's changed, one should also replace the tensioner, 3 idlers, water pump, and a bunch of so-called "stretch" bolts...
Often it's not the belt that gives up but the bearings on one of the other components that fails...

Please go over the "how to buy a used TDI" threads:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=708161
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=75359

You don't say where in CT you are, but there are a few veterans around and you may find it advantageous to have one of them accompany you to inspect the vehicle.

All the best,

Yuri.

revkev73

TDI
2002 vw golf
I have the picture on photobucket but when I paste it into the box for the forum it shows a box with lines and no picture. When I paste it another way all it shows are the URL letters and numbers. I must be stupid but this is driving me nuts.

captain jack

TDI
2002 Jetta
njcristovao
I bought a 2002 jetta w/ auto-trans this past summer with 65k @ $14k. Knew nothing about them. Been lucky, runs great. But follow that Yuri's advise. Make sure you read those "how to buy a used TDI" threads right now before you check out those two 02's.