1966 Ford F100 ALH build

smelly621

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Tacoma
Sorry for my question on the hose routing - it was an effect of the engine cover and the angle that made it look like it may be switched.

Hottest point is coming out of the back of the head - so may as well measure close to there.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Just to make sure we are on the same page ... The TDI engine is not "reverse flow", the coolant comes out the top/rear (top/right, in this case) of the head as described. The thing that could seem odd to someone used to how traditional cooling systems are arranged is that the thermostat is at the water pump housing (bottom/front/left in this case) and it regulates the inlet temperature of the water pump.

You need to have the bypass loop connected - the flow through the heater core, which also goes out the top of the engine and returns back in at the smaller connection at the thermostat/water pump housing.

The spherical bottle is part of the pressurized part of the system.

If you hook it all up the way it was in the original VW installation and use as many of the original bits and pieces as possible (including the coolant bottle but obviously the radiator will be different), it will be fine.

Best spot for a coolant temperature gauge sender is the outlet from the cylinder head (top/rear/right). Best spot for a cooling fan thermoswitch is in the return flow from the bottom of the radiator to the water pump and have it set a little below the thermostat opening temperature. That way the cooling fan will only come on when it really has to, i.e. when you are actually stopped with no air flow. When you are normally driving, the return from the radiator will be well below the engine temperature.

smelly621

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Tacoma
Constant flow through the heater core is not needed, there is continual flow through the oil/coolant heat exchanger.

Same goes for the coolant bottle - it can be deleted and a normal pressurized radiator cap and overflow bottle can be used. Working just fine this way for a number of conversions on here.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Awesome! Looks great, sounds great- really like what you did with the instrument panel. Nice job!

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
Nice. Are you using a lift pump? I would put some clear fuel line on the inlet and outlet lines to make sure your hickup is not air in the fuel related.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Nice!!! Where's your IQ set? That's some pretty heavy smoke. Fire some logs my way when you get a chance, keen to see this thing running right.

CF-FZD

TDI
03 Jetta
Nice!!! Where's your IQ set? That's some pretty heavy smoke. Fire some logs my way when you get a chance, keen to see this thing running right.
I have absolutely no idea where the IQ is set. Justin said he was going to plug it in and adjust it. It idles a bit rough and has a misfire now and then when it's cold. We will be in touch.

CF-FZD

TDI
03 Jetta
First time at the diesel pump.

I look forward to driving it more and finding out what kind of mileage it gets.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Constant flow through the heater core is not needed, there is continual flow through the oil/coolant heat exchanger.
Same goes for the coolant bottle - it can be deleted and a normal pressurized radiator cap and overflow bottle can be used. Working just fine this way for a number of conversions on here.
this^^ no bypass required

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
You like it..?
Please tell me you know of a super strong clutch that will help put the power to the ground. Toyota r150 trans.

love it ! .... as far as clutches go my current setup with a 10" ctx-107 pressure plate and dtx-136 disc has held up the best but it's started to slip under heavy load ... i'm now looking at the competition brand dual friction clutch as a replacement

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
wow, looks like a ripper. Can't tell if your clutch is slipping or if that is wheelspin. Awesome work.

CF-FZD

TDI
03 Jetta
love it ! .... as far as clutches go my current setup with a 10" ctx-107 pressure plate and dtx-136 disc has held up the best but it's started to slip under heavy load ... i'm now looking at the competition brand dual friction clutch as a replacement
Please post an update when you change the clutch out. I'm running a flywheel from a 22re that's been drilled to fit the VW crank. I haven't completed the brake in period (only 10-15km so far) so I really shouldn't be driving it hard.

What flywheel are you using and have you tried the Marlin crawler setup, the rock crawling guys say they are great but they don't have 300lb/ft of torque at 2400rpm like a big turbo TDI.

-------

In my video I think it was part wheel spin on the dusty road and part clutch slip as it was in the first 5 min of driving on the clutch?. I'll be good to it from now on.

CF-FZD

TDI
03 Jetta
Truck is on the road now, I've put a few hundred trouble free kilometres on it and everything is working a expected. Fuel mileage was 9L/100 on the (166km) trip I checked while doing 110-115km/h with some stop and go traffic. It has more then enough power to move the truck down the road, it's much faster then my 02' Jetta with a 1.5 tune. So far I've had it doing 150km/h. The GTB1756 starts to spool at about 19-2000 and hits 27psi by 2400rpm it keeps pulling right past 4000. I wouldn't change a thing with the performance. To my surprise the clutch I have is holding just fine, it's just a bit grabby when taking off with low rpm. It holds well enough to spin the tires in first and second on dry pavement or a full boost pull up a hill in 5th.
The biggest downfall so far is the exhaust and engine noise. It currently has 3" strait off the turbo, a 4" long 3" fleet pipe then a 2 bolt flange just aft of the firewall. Then about 4' of 3" pipe and a bend then exits just ahead of the back right tire. I have enough pipe and a bend to make another back half. I'm on the hunt for a 3" free flowing muffler that will quiet down the drown. The floor of the truck already has some insulation and full carpet.
The truck had a sturdy rear bumper so I decided to make it into a trailer hitch. I bought a receiver and a 2" ID hitch tube. Cut the hole and welded it in. When the hitch isn't in use I can leave it in but facing the opposite way out of site under the truck. I'll limit towing to 3500lbs or so.

CF-FZD

TDI
03 Jetta
very cool .... thanks for the update... does the turbo feel laggy at all ?
Not at all it spools as fast as my stock turbo ALH Jetta (Malone 1.5). The difference between the two is I may have to drop a gear in the truck where I may have stayed in 3rd in the car. It may all be in my head but in the car I'll turn onto my street and climb a hill, in the car I'll start the pull in 3rd at 17-1800 but the truck needs the drop to second. It will accelerate in 3rd but takes a few seconds to spool and puts out a lot of smoke before the boost hits. I tend to just drop to 2nd and it pulls away smoke free. Other factors may be the truck is 3-400lbs heavier then the Jetta, the gear ratio in the trans and diff are different and I probably take the corner slightly faster in the car. If I give the truck full throttle in 2nd on a corner it will go sideways and that's not a good idea when I'm on my own street. In a strait line it will spin the Goodyear Eagle GT tires in first and second without using the clutch. I have absolutely no complaints about the power and have no desire to squeeze more out of the engine. That said I may have found a Ford Coyote 5.0 and a 6 speed manual from a 14' mustang for a good price. If I buy it I'll be doing another engine swap next winter.

-----
The gearing in the truck 9" rear is 3.31/1 I think. It has 235/55/17 tires and revs about 2400 at 100km/h (62mph). 3800 @ 147km/h (90mph). I may try to find a set or 235/60 or 253/65 tires for the rear and see how it does. The speeds were done with the iphone gps.

Last edited:

CF-FZD

TDI
03 Jetta
A little towing action with the TDI Ford. I plucked my boat (bayliner 2651) from the farm where I store it to my house to get it ready for water. I think it weighs about 5500 plus the 1500 trailer about 7000 pounds. The truck is #3400 on its own 10k in all. 2400rpm in 4th gear, 80km/h, 10psi boost it would sit at 400*C EGT and 500-600 degrees C if I held 80 up any hills. Climbing away from a stop sign up a hill was interesting, trying not to spin the tires at first then a steady 600 on the EGT in first gear at 3000rpm. Plenty of power to go faster on level ground but it was a big load for the truck.

mjensen

TDI
2000 JETTA TDI 2000 BEETLE TDI(GIRLFRIENDS) BOTH 5SPD
Wow! Better than I would have expected for mileage! Looks great and sounds great! Trying to do the same thing in a 83 f150. Gives me some push! Good job!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
well done vid .... a few years ago folks didn't think a lil' 1.9 would even tote a 4x4 yota with ease, now seeing them in full size trucks and mid size pigs like durangos and dakotas :) ... lot to be said for power density