HPFP bypass kit

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
Interesting concept, wonder if it really works. Only then would I say for certain not needed.

ewdysar

TDI
2014 JSW TDi 6m
While HPFP failures are not particularly common in our cars, if a failure occurs, it is typically a $8k -10k repair. Obviously, the Ford Powerstrokes have a similar failure mode, which might be more common. But since not all HPFPs are the same design, while the CP4 has a “bolt-on” solution to isolate the pump crankcase flow from the engine fuel supply circuit, doing the same to our VW HPFPs may not be as easy, or even possible.

As an aside, the DS4 pump in my GM 6.5 TD does not fail this way, the IP fails and is a costly replacement, but the rest of the fuel system does not get contaminated. It all depends on the design.

ewdysar

TDI
2014 JSW TDi 6m
And I can understand why someone new here would be concerned about HPFP failure, just look at the “sticky” HPFP failure FAQ thread. When I first got here, I was worried about the long term reliability of my car because of various threads here, but the FAQ thread is old, and the problem seemed more prevalent with the early CR engines. As most of us here know now, the later CR engines like mine do not appear to have this problem.

ewdysar

TDI
2014 JSW TDi 6m
I’m not saying that it can’t happen, just that every VAG CR TDi owner shouldn’t expect that it is inevitable that this will happen to them. But more to your original post, just because the Ford CP4 HPFP has a similar failure mode and a “bolt-on” fix doesn’t mean that a similar fix is even possible for the VAG CR HPFP. I, for one, have never seen one mentioned here or elsewhere.

One thing that you can do right now is use a quality diesel lubricant additive. There are many different brands available, I use OptiLube, either the Summer + or the XPD formula. I get mine online.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
If you worry, go CP3 and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
I'm not new here and it is something in the back of my mind. Not that it will happen, but could. I'm more confident I'll have another heater core failure.
And for the record, the HPFP in 2009-2015 VW 2.0L TDI CR engines is a CP4, as in some Duramax and Powerstroke engines.
A simple bypass like this, if it really works, would be cheap insurance, once I'm out the warranty period. After that, if it failed, and if the kits are still readily available, I'd switch to a CP3.

I found this, it is something that has been looked at before.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4030853&postcount=18

Last edited:

ewdysar

TDI
2014 JSW TDi 6m
yep, i’ve seen the posts from the early CR HPFP problems, and acknowledge that the 2009-2010 pumps had a notable failure rate. But what I’m not seeing is reports of rampant failures in later cars, like my 2014 JSW. Has the failure rate dropped, or are are most of the people with failures just not talking about it?

Does it make sense to replace the HPFP regularly, before any sign of failure, like a timing belt? Are the failures usually in engines with over 100k miles, or is it more random, i.e. unpredictable?

I’m not questioning the collective wisdom here, just looking for objective input.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
It can happen randomly at any mileage, can be caused by poor fuel quality due to low traffic station. I had 5 HPFP failures and on the 5th time mechanic was like why not check the fuel tank as he noticed the fuel filter was caked in black stuff in 5k miles since fuel filter replacement along the 4th HPFP. Ao he opened the fuel tank and BEHOLD! It was covered in mold! It was from sitting 2 years during buyback program before finally sold to me.

Ever since, she ran flawlessly since 35k miles as I bought her on Sept 2018 with 27k miles. Now 51k miles and CP3 has been installed last Friday and she runs beautiful.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
As for my old 2011 JSW, she ran flawlessly on all original everything to 180k miles, I decided to go deleted DPF exhaust and kept original turbo, CP4. Until 235k miles, went for CP3. Made me wish I did that a long time ago. Now I am not repeating the mistake and do it early on this 2014. I let the 2011 go due to DSG ecu was failing shortly at almost 300k miles after getting rear ended so I decided its her time to go and processed the buyback and she is sorely missed.

ewdysar

TDI
2014 JSW TDi 6m
ok. After reading another couple of hundred posts on the topic, it seems that 2micron/andrew was making and selling a bypass and filter kit that would protect the rest of the fuel system from contamination when the CP4 pump failed. Unfortunately, this solution appears to be NLA.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=375803&page=56

on 1/08/2019, Kriesel posted that he had a pump failure and the installed 2micron system worked as intended. too bad they’re gone.

So now, the long term solution appears to be to swap in a CP3 pump. Is there a source for a one-stop CP4 to CP3 conversion? Some previous contributors have said that the CP3 swap requires an updated tune to work correctly, is that correct?

In any case, I believe that the general consensus is to stick with the stock system as long as the original or the “fix” warranty covers the fuel system and to hope that the dealer doesn’t try to weasel out of a the major repair in the case of a HPFP failure.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
No, no tune are needed for CP3. It only brings smoother acceleration and quicker starting and makes its own beautiful sounds.

My set up is direct from original fuel filter to the CP3 pump.. I am gambling on it.

CP3 pretty much are bulletproof to anything you throw at it.

Andrew aka 2micron still have few MK6 kits and MK7. You can contact him on his screen name. I just sent him the link of this thread.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
Ive had the 2 micron (think he called it the pure flow or fuel) kit on my car since 2012, no issues, no failures, pretty easy install. I think the buyback / extended warranty really knocked the bottom out of the market on a lot of these engineering fixes.