Just got my CPO 2012 JSW TDi

Biggus

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Held my nose and bought it from our local Audi/VW dealer who had just what I was looking for in stock. I swore I would never buy a car from them as I have had many issues with the Audi side including catching them lying to my face , cheating on warranty claims and basically being shady as hell on our Audi vehicles in the past.

The Jetta purchased with 42,119 miles, shows a CPO inspection and dealer receipts for an oil and filter change, fuel filter, cabin filter, the 40k service not including the DSG service as being done at 42,110 miles. As part of our negotiations I required that the DSG service be done as it had not been and the sales manager agreed to have it done and provided the invoice for the completed service at the time of sale.

After driving the car for about 150 miles post purchase, I pulled the oil dipstick and the oil is very dark and half a quart low. Now I'm questioning if the oil was changed at all and if the DSG service was actually done. Given the shady nature of this dealership it would not shock me at all if it wasn't.

Is there an easy way to check if the DSG fluid was done? Can I just pull out the filter and inspect the fluid? Does The DSG fluid change color over 40,000 miles so it would be obvious if it hadn't been done? How bout the filter? Will it be obvious? Should the engine oil be black as hell after only 150 miles?

Last edited:

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
After driving the car for about 150 miles post purchase, I pulled the oil dipstick and the oil is very dark and half a quart low. Now I'm questioning if the oil was changed at all and if the DSG service was actually done.
The oil turns black pretty much immediately after a change. Regardless of that, there is no reason to ever set foot in that dealership again if you don't trust them.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Oil will be black as sin after driving around the block - typical. No clue about the DSG, manual all the way!

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
There’s no way to check the DSG. You can purchase a kit to change the fluid for $70 from CascadeGerman.com. They have an eBay store too.

CDKJudoka

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
If anything happens to the DSG, and they invoiced that it was done, it would be covered under the warranty.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
If anything happens to the DSG, and they invoiced that it was done, it would be covered under the warranty.

This.

Its crazy to me that you can get a 2012 as a CPO. Its 7-8 years old at this point. There are getting to be some great deals out there.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
This.

Its crazy to me that you can get a 2012 as a CPO. Its 7-8 years old at this point. There are getting to be some great deals out there.
Agreed, I think the VW threshold is 7 years for a CPO car. My dealer moves quite a few fixed diesels, most of the cars turn out not being able to be CPO'd. They had a pretty rare '12 Golf TDI two door, six-speed manual with the tech pkg come in recently and it could not be CPO'd because of leather seat covers and the concern it would effect the side air bag deployment.

Last edited:

Biggus

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Yes, I was surprised as well that they were able to CPO it, but I got it bought on the last day of 2018 so maybe we just slipped in under the wire. Love the car, don't trust the dealer....

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
This.

Just bought a 2011 Jsw CPO this week. 69000 miles.

Must be 1 owner, low mile to quaifyy???

atsffan

TDI
2013 Golf United Grey 6M 2 doors, no waiting.
On the other side of the coin; my daughter just bought a 2012 w/full tech package and less than 20k miles. All maintenance done/documented at VW dealers.

And yet - no CPO! But, full dieselgate warrantee to 100k.