How many ways can you try to reset the computer in an 05 Jetta

dgetta

TDI
2005 getta
I have tried disconnecting the battery and I've tried disconnecting both battery cables and connecting them together (a Chrysler mech said he does this to reset the modem) , so far nothing works. I've got the fault light on on the dash for the airbag and the ESP sensor. I have an Actron OBD II scanner but this doesn't even connect properly. Do I have to get to get a Vag-Com ?

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
CEl codes

dgetta said:
I have tried disconnecting the battery and I've tried disconnecting both battery cables and connecting them together (a Chrysler mech said he does this to reset the modem) , so far nothing works. I've got the fault light on on the dash for the airbag and the ESP sensor. I have an Actron OBD II scanner but this doesn't even connect properly. Do I have to get to get a Vag-Com ?
Yep, you sure do need VagCom/VCDS from Ross-tech. Don't even waste your money on Ebay!
Ross-Tech: Home
You could try the Vagtool locator in my signature to find someone near you.
If you don't fix the problem the CEL will come back on after you clear it!

Last edited:

dgetta

TDI
2005 getta
I know alot of people suggest the Ross scan tool but what about the ScanGauge II or is that one of the ones you warn against on Ebay. There is a person that has posted a positive comment about that . If not I guess I'll have to go with Ross.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
You could go to Autozone and have it scanned for free and then go to the Ross-Tech site WIKI and look up the code(s) you got.

STARWARSTDI has some good ideas, as well, especially about finding some one with VCDS (Vag-Com) in your area.:cool:

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
dgetta said:
AIRBAG Light (fault) = Dealership visit AUTOMATICALLY!

dgetta

TDI
2005 getta
I'd rather not go to the dealer, I feel like I walk funny when I leave. Seriously though, I disconnected the passenger side without realizing and I can only hope that it's needs to be reset .

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
You NEED a proper scan tool in order to clear the fault codes (and you need to fix the underlying problem first, otherwise it will come back).

Whoever told you that the codes could be reset by disconnecting the battery is out of touch. Every OBDII-compliant ECU is required to store trouble-code information in non-volatile memory, and that has been the law since 1996. Strictly speaking, it's only mandatory for the emissions-related stuff, but for practical reasons, it's done the same way for every important subsystem in the vehicle.

dgetta

TDI
2005 getta
I'm coming to the realization that I have to get a scan tool.I would like to make sure that I get the most for my money. Most everyone mentions Ross, I've heard the name ScanGauge II; I'd like to find out if it's possible to purchase one of these and then later apply it to other vehicles even if it means different software. Of course the main priority is to get the best tool for this job.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
VCDS will be able to tag all the modules in the car, will work an any PC even a slowish one, and is a bargain. :)

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
dgetta said:
I'd rather not go to the dealer, I feel like I walk funny when I leave. Seriously though, I disconnected the passenger side without realizing and I can only hope that it's needs to be reset .
Please Note:

The VCDS (VAG-COM) cannot reset Air Bag faults.
Only the Dealership can reset those faults.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Tim Birney said:
Please Note:

The VCDS (VAG-COM) cannot reset Air Bag faults.
Only the Dealership can reset those faults.
And how much money would you like to wager on that? Who told you that one??? :confused:

You can read an SRS module, clear DTCs on them, even recode them when you replace them with VCDS. So I am not really sure what you are talking about. Only thing VCDS cannot do is reflash a module's memory, and it cannot extract SKCs.

Everything else, it does faster and easier than the factory level scan tools.

I just used mine this week to find a faulty seat harness connector in a 2006 Jetta's passenger seat harness.

Last edited:

Lee_Taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 1.4 COD
dgetta said:
In the interest of fairness you don't have to get a VCDS cable. You could get a cable off Ebay that you may be able to get to work. However it will only work with the older version of their software and in order to get it to work properly it will cost you $100 to register the software (which they will credit toward a purchase of the real McCoy) Buying the genuine article saves a lot of grief and most of us have gone this route, but you have the option to try the Ebay route. It is a case of caveat emptor though.

dgetta

TDI
2005 getta
Mr. Taylor I believe you had mentioned the USB before on a previous thread is this correct ? This is an 05 Jetta TDI and I just want to make sure I'm ordering the right wire. Thanks

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
dgetta said:
Mr. Taylor I believe you had mentioned the USB before on a previous thread is this correct ? This is an 05 Jetta TDI and I just want to make sure I'm ordering the right wire. Thanks
A 2005.5+ Jetta requires a CAN type cable. Contact Ross-tech and get the real thing. The ebay cables are for the older cars IIRC.

Is your car the newer body style? (A4=old, A5=new style) Go to this site (call if necessary) to find out what you need.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/interfaces.html

I no longer leave town without my laptop w/VCDS.....

USB vs. SERIAL has no bearing on what car you have, only how your computer is configured.

Bill