View Single Post
Old August 30th, 2005, 19:24   #7
frugality
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 33mpg
Default Re: Manual transmission fluid change how-to with pics

Quote:
Regarding that upside down photo. I'd be careful with those... some of us take these postings too literally...
Sheesh. Then SOME people oughn't be doing their own car work... Just kidding. Done.

I didn't notice any difference in shifting. Still, I sure hope the oil they sold me is the right stuff. The label was all in German, so it didn't seem to have the GL-4 rating, but I'll assume it's the European equivalent since it's VW/Audi tranny oil.

I'm not an expert, but I'd have to say the drained oil looked darn good. Still transparent and maple syrup colored (or the color of a nice bock beer, if you prefer). No metal shavings that I could see. The drain plug didn't seem to have a magnet in it that I could tell. Maybe there's one elsewhere inside the transmission. I try to be very nice to my transmission, but have ground the gears a time or three. (I don't know if anyone else has had the same experiences, but the times I've ground the gears seem to be times when I've 'hurried up' too much with the shifting. Like when someone waves you through at a 4-way stop and you try to hurry it up, and end up grinding gears in front of them.)

Jason, your tranny looks way too clean.
frugality is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.07119 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 15.95 Kb. compressed to 14.44 Kb. by saving 1.51 Kb. (9.49%)]