High speed left turn shudder and traction light

Boostedballs

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI 5pd
I think I might have a damaged speed sensor wire or wheel bearing somewhere. When I make a hard left turn at 70mph or so, the fuel seems to cut and the traction control light comes on, shudders for a second then goes away.

I havent had a chance to look at it yet and it doesnt happen but maybe once every day or two.

So how far would the reluctor on the hub have to move away from the sensor before it loses its signal?

Will the computer store a code that would point to one wheel?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If the ABS/ESP is working as designed, then no DTCs will be stored. The ABS just thinks there is a loss of signal on one of the wheels, and is responding appropriately.

Unfortunately, I assume for safety reasons, most of the ABS modules will not allow data viewing through the DLC over a certain speed, and that speed is typically very low (like 10 kph). So it isn't like you can just drive the car and watch the data with a laptop when it is happening, and see which of the four wheels drops out.

So, the only thing you CAN do is first do a good visual inspection with the wheels off the ground, and wiggle the wheels for any slop in any of the wheel bearings. Then, if you do not find anything obvious, take all the rotors off to access the wheel speed sensor tone rings. Chances are one of the rings is either cracked, full of debris, or in some cases the sensor itself has a broken tip.

You can also use a very high refresh rate scope to watch the signal generated from the sensors, but you may not be able to spin them fast enough to see anything.

Last edited:

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
He doesn't mention this happening during braking. Is wheel speed even monitored if brakes aren't applied?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I didn't know they had active braking in 03.

Learn something new every day. But that's why I'm here.

oilhammer

TDI
ESP was a rare option on late ALH cars, yes. It was still an option on BEW cars at least early on. Not sure when it became standard.

My otherwise stripper 2005 Beetle, with the base 2.0L gas engine, manual gearbox, no sunroof, steel wheels, no fog lamps, etc. had ESP. But it may have been standard by 2005 on that model.

Boostedballs

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI 5pd
I guess I’ll have to jack up the front end and have a good look around, then the rear if I find nothing in the front.

oilhammer

TDI
And just to clarify, a follow up to KLXD's question, your car does have ESP, correct? There is a button on the center stack?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
ESP was a rare option on late ALH cars, yes. It was still an option on BEW cars at least early on. Not sure when it became standard.
My otherwise stripper 2005 Beetle, with the base 2.0L gas engine, manual gearbox, no sunroof, steel wheels, no fog lamps, etc. had ESP. But it may have been standard by 2005 on that model.
ESP is the only option I did not get on my 03 Jetta because of availability. I wished i had it as it probably would have helped me when I slipped off the road this past February. IIRC, it was only a $250 option.

oilhammer

TDI
It does work pretty well. And it really doesn't add much more complexity to the car beyond the ABS, which was by then standard equipment. All gov't mandated now of course.

Normally I could do without that sort of nannyware, but I have to admit is DOES work, and there were a couple times in my Beetle that it intervened before I even realized there was a need for it to happen. Can't say for sure it would have prevented anything, but it certainly didn't hurt. I've never wrecked a car once, my wits (and my cars kept in good order) have served me well thus far.

The Sprinter's ESP is also tied into something called Crosswind Assist. And boy, that setup works awesome. I have had that come active on me a couple times already, and it is like the hand of God himself reached down and stuck the van to the pavement all of a sudden during a massive wind gust. :eek:

Boostedballs

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI 5pd
And just to clarify, a follow up to KLXD's question, your car does have ESP, correct? There is a button on the center stack?
Not sure what you mean by “center stack.”

Anyway, I cleaned the iron filings off the front sensors and the issue is still there. I guess I’ll do the same for the rear sensors (assuming there are sensors back there)

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
"Center stack" would be the center console dash area (where your hazard switch and others are located).

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
On a Jetta the ESP switch is to the right of the left seat warmer switch. If you don't have it, it's a blank button. On the New Beetle it's located on a button to the left of the hazard lights switch.

Boostedballs

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI 5pd
Ah, I do have an esp button. My phone usually covers it up.
I’ll take another high speed left turn with the system off to see how it responds.

Boostedballs

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI 5pd
Wow! I cleaned up the rear speed sensors, another easy job, and one of the sensors had some serious metal chips. I am astounded that the sensor worked in the first place. I have not driven the car yet to test it. I’ll try to test it tomorrow...

Boostedballs

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI 5pd
The issue seems to have been resolved by cleaning the iron filings off the rear speed sensors.

The car is now for sale as I just got an electric car because I have free charging at work. The car is near Sacramento. I’ll see if I can figure out how to post pics in the classifieds.

Thanks everyone for the info!!!