TDI Fest 2015

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I'd love to see a Fest in Montreal. I've never been there, but heard it is nice. It would be an excellent excuse to head up there.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Last time Anita and I were in Montreal, customs was just fine. Asked us why we were going to Canada: Answer - Family. Next, When was the last time you were in Canada: Answer- 2 years ago. End of questions.

The real pain was driving back into the U.S. in N.Y. state. Some very small border crossing with a 2 car wait. They insisted everybody open their trunk and looked 2 or 3 times at everything. Those customs fellows had WAY too much time on their hands. I live in San Diego. San Diego is the busiest border crossing in the country. We may wait in line for 4 hours each time we come home, BUT customs does not rip every car open. And the San Ysidro border crossing is 24 lanes wide just for cars. Plus we have a second border crossing in Otay Mesa that is mainly for truck, so it is another 4 lanes for cars only. End of rant.

Canadian customs was just fine! Have your passport or passport card and there will not be an issue.

BTW, am I the only one who noticed that April Fools day could be the big announcement date for the 2015 TDIFest?

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Tomorrow is suppose to be announcement day! :D

No Fools Day announcement, please!:eek:

Side notes:

I crossed the border going north in North Dakota last summer ...... no problems at all (memorize your license plate number).

I crossed back into the USA on the west end of Montana (near Glacier National Park, no issue at all!

And, in 2013 after the TDI Fest in Bethel, Maine, we went to the coast of Maine eventually crossing over to Campobello Island, Canada (do a Google, interesting). No issue going or coming back. Then we went on to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia and then back to the USA ......... no issue crossing borders.

As John Jackson said, just make sure you have your Pass Port ready as they will ask for it. Also, other papers should be readily available in case they ask for them: title, registration, insurance, driver's license, etc.

Happy motoring....:D

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
We've got the location all figured out and pretty much ready to roll, but there are just a few more t's to cross and i's to dot before we can post the official announcement. Since this would lead us into April 1st and we want to avoid the whole April fools thing, we'll post details on April 2nd :)

Sorry to keep you in a couple more days of suspense.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
In order to request early vacation for summer, I'd need to put in the request no later than tomorrow. Is the date range still Labor Day weekend?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I feel quite certain the event will be over Labor Day weekend!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
We had a great site visit this weekend (I just got home 20 minutes ago). Expectations were exceeded and we are really looking forward to Fest this Labor Day weekend! Dates will be September 4th, 5th, and 6th. I recommend adding a day or three on either end to make the most of your vacation. :)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
If you're driving from California, you may want to set aside two full weeks. :)

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The anticipation is killing me since I can and will attend this year. I have to work every other weekend and this year the schedule falls just right so I have it off.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Two weeks from California? Tells me it is on the east coast, possibly New England. Not D.C. area. Montreal is a nice 2 week trip for those of us in Southern California. Our last trip to Montreal was 6000 miles round trip and 18 days.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
And since one of the clues was that it was in the Eastern Time Zone, it's in the wrong one. Not that I wouldn't love to go, mind you.
I must have missed the bit about the Eastern Time Zone...

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Dates will be September 4th, 5th, and 6th. I recommend adding a day or three on either end to make the most of your vacation. :)
Just had another thought...What if the site is Orlando, Fl...DisneyWorld? Kind of fits withe the above comment about 3 extra days to make the most of the visit, doesn't it?

My kids grew up 2 miles from the original Disneyland, thinking fireworks were an every night 9:00 thing. When we moved from Anaheim to San Diego, my son asked where were the fireworks.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
A side note IF it is Orlando, I heard on the news awhile back that Disney had raised their prices again so the cheapest day pass is now over $100! That makes EVERY ride an "E-ticket" ride. :(

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I must have missed the bit about the Eastern Time Zone...
Makes perfect sense then...Posts 37 & 43 had clues.

I just got back from the Florida Keys, which was 1,806 miles one way but still in the Eastern Time Zone. I hope it's a little closer to home, personally. Key West would be HOT in September but Maine is perfect.

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Makes perfect sense then...Posts 37 & 43 had clues.

I just got back from the Florida Keys, which was 1,806 miles one way but still in the Eastern Time Zone. I hope it's a little closer to home, personally. Key West would be HOT in September.
Aha! I did miss that.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I no nothing.....

Although it is officially April 2nd (in the Eastern Time Zone), I ain't saying nothing!:D << (I believe that is a double negative!)

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
West of the Mississippi is a bit out of my reach this year. Oh well. The community lives on!
Um, you live west of the Mississippi. :p

If you meant east, just fly in, although I want to check out your car.

I don't have the patience of AndyBees, so someone fess up!

VeeDubTDI said:
We had a great site visit this weekend (I just got home 20 minutes ago). Expectations were exceeded and we are really looking forward to Fest this Labor Day weekend! Dates will be September 4th, 5th, and 6th. I recommend adding a day or three on either end to make the most of your vacation.
I know VeeDubTDI was in the Western Maine mountains at Sunday River the weekend prior but I'm skeptical it'd be held there twice in a row, especially without hearing local chatter about it in the ether.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Even though by study, geography and geology was my field, I do get a brain flip occasionally relating to orientation as well as my left and right flipping (must be the semi-ambidextrous kickin' in!)................:rolleyes:....:D

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Um, you live west of the Mississippi. :p

If you meant east, just fly in, although I want to check out your car.

I don't have the patience of AndyBees, so someone fess up!

I know VeeDubTDI was in the Western Maine mountains at Sunday River the weekend prior but I'm skeptical it'd be held there twice in a row, especially without hearing local chatter about it in the ether.

He could of been in Canada.:D