Low Coolant - is a coolant leak covered under powertrain?

abaron

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta Trendline+
So I've been smelling coolant here and there from my car and when I checked today it's well below the min line.

Given that it's supposed to be a closed system, and I've been smelling coolant there's a leak somewhere.

I had something like this a year into ownership of the car but I don't think the dealership fixed anything, likely just did a coolant flush and said it's fine (might have also said something about losing a bit is natural).

So, on a 2015 with 55,000KM (34,000 miles) is the cooling system covered? I'm out of the comprehensive coverage (bought July 2015) but still in the powertrain coverage period - is this considered part of the powertrain?

If it's not covered under warranty I'll probably take it to a 3rd party mechanic locally who's got a great reputation on these vehicles.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
I think I've read on here that some of the later common rail cars had a bit of weepage/leaking of the water pump, around in the timing belt area. Folks have gotten their water pumps replaced under warranty if found to be leaking.

I don't know whether it would be considered "powertrain" although I would hope it is. You may want to check with your dealer.

FWIW, I too detect an antifreeze smell sometimes right after shutting it off and parking it, walking around the front end. I see no leaks under the car, no coolant in the oil, no visible leaks from any hoses. I've topped off the coolant once when I first bought the car this past winter and the level is still within the hash marks on expansion tank.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
I was smelling a little coolant on mine. But couldn't find any leak until it got worse months later. Found the leak in the small hose on the bottom of the coolant bottle. A hose might be considered normal wear and tear so not covered by warranty.