2010 Jetta TDI, Tint.

wofman

TDI
2010 Jetta 6 spd manual
Thanks. Grille or Eibachs/sways probably next. Depends when I sell my AEZ-18 wheels from the audi (RIP).

TDIdea

TDI
09 cr TDi jetta DSG, 84 6.2 chevy c20 no turbo:(
to corvettecrazy , how did you get all the chrome pieces separated without breaking the tabs ? i did the large chrome front and the thin little piece on the lower grill of our last mk5 , but i want to do it perfectly on our new tdi . any tips ?

corvettecrazy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI manual
It is easier to not break tabs when everything is warm, and thus soft. A hair dryer never hurts to warm them up a little bit.

The bottom center grill I actually decided to not remove the chrome piece from the grill as it was so thin and there is enough space to do a nice job without removing it. All of the top pieces came off pretty easily.

Hopefully that answers your questions.

onlyinabeetle

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
wow, you have made some awesome progress since we saw the car at dyno day!

TDIdea

TDI
09 cr TDi jetta DSG, 84 6.2 chevy c20 no turbo:(
thanks , vette , i must be more ham fisted than you, it seems like everty time i get them all set to pull one side they all pop back in . this was in the dead of winter outside . so ....... im goi n to use a bunch of paper clips this time . any recomendations on grit to scuff the chrome for paint ?

corvettecrazy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI manual
wow, you have made some awesome progress since we saw the car at dyno day!
Yeah, thank you! I need to make it to one of the first friday meets again soon. Now that ski season pretty much sucks, that could happen.

TDIdea: I used 3M matte vynal on the grill, so I don't really have any suggestions for paint. If I were to paint the grill, I would probably go with something in the 600 range so the scratches weren't very deep and the paint could fill them easily.

Dr. Engine

TDI
2010 VW Jetta TDI
Hey it looks great! It seems like you did the tint yourself. How much and and how long did it take you? I am looking to do the same but I am not sure whether or not to take it to a shop. After all, I see high school kids with bubbles in there ricers.

corvettecrazy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI manual
Hey it looks great! It seems like you did the tint yourself. How much and and how long did it take you? I am looking to do the same but I am not sure whether or not to take it to a shop. After all, I see high school kids with bubbles in there ricers.

I didn't do the tint myself. I had it done at Solar Solutions in Bedford, MA. ( http://www.solarsolutionstinting.net/index.php ) I highly suggest having tint done by someone who knows what they are doing. The pros generally have large scale vynal cutters so the piece of tint is cut to the perfect size every time. They also know all the tricks to getting a great looking install. Many of my friends and co-workers have had their tint done there and it looked great even after 3-5 years. I'd have to pull the paperwork for the exact cost but it was somewhere around 180. Probably the second best piece of money I spent on my jetta. (First being the blue tinted aspherical mirrors)

Dr. Engine

TDI
2010 VW Jetta TDI
Great thanks for the advice. I have been looking to do mine for some time and just made my appointment there. Will you be at the GTG in worcester this friday?

corvettecrazy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI manual
Great thanks for the advice. I have been looking to do mine for some time and just made my appointment there. Will you be at the GTG in worcester this friday?

No problem. I guess I could swing through for the second friday gathering. I dont think I currently have anything going on.:D

Oh and the summer wheels are back on! :cool:

corvettecrazy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI manual
I got pretty sick of the terrible trunk light and decided to do something about it today. :D

Trunk all lit up.

LED strip in the center

LED bar on one side

And the other side

wofman

TDI
2010 Jetta 6 spd manual
OK -- update time. Here's new look up front:

A little balance to back end (you've aleady seen):

Decision time coming up: Eibach springs/sways or 17s. One this year, the other next spring, presumably.

wofman

TDI
2010 Jetta 6 spd manual
And now with 17s -- Hankook V12s, 225x45 definitely improve the handling.

Wider stance:

I don't know why VW didn't have 17s as standard in '10.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Sharp lookin' car. I agree that the 17 inch wheels have a big effect on appearance. 18 inch wheels tend to be overkill, IMHO, and probably wind up being a harsher ride.

wofman

TDI
2010 Jetta 6 spd manual
These are VW rims from an EOS.

Time to put 'em on - I use stock 16s during winter. (Just drove home from snow in Montreal - talk about a late Spring!)

white09

TDI
2009 jetta tdi
Almost got confused with two different white cars in one thread.

Last edited:

1dieselsteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
Well yesterday I got pulled over for the first time in seven yrs. for having my windows tinted. I was wondering why I got pulled over since I had set the cruise control to the speed limit. The cop informed me that my window were to dark, my response was, that I've never been pulled over for that, even though I have been pulled over for speeding but they never mentioned that before. What an ****hole... He pulled out in front of me with no turn signal, after he ticketed someone else and then he pulls me over.

Paulman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI (buyback at 109,000miles) 2014 Jetta TDI 59,000miles
So, WI is 50% front side and 35% back and rear. What do you have installed that got you the ticket?

I have a daughter taking a car to college from NC to MN and the car was tinted 35% which was legal in IN where I bought it. I dread the thought of her getting a ticket and having to get it all taken off and probably get the MN 50% installed.

Wouldn't a national tint law be a good idea?

Paul

TX JSW

TDI
2012 JSW
I'd want more than 50% in the South. Tint does a lot for heat buildup in the car. I won't drive a car without tint. (Unless the law made me.)

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
I tint mine 95 percent on all windows, front window I tint 5 percent, I live in AZ we need dark tint, real dark...