Shop put the wrong oil in...

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Anybody ever hear of the WolfsHead oil? It's synthetic and apparently 505 and all that jazz. I just got the car back from the shop after going through the engine. The car lost it's first turbo at 190k, the side to side shaft play was bad, it was smoking at idle. It probably would have had a spectacular ending after another 500 miles or so. I decided to replace the turbo and clean the intake manifold. After seeing inside the intake, I decided it was time to pull the head and have it cleaned. Since the head was off, I had a fully rebuilt. I decided to leave the bottom end alone due to 495, 490, 490, 495 compression. Anyways, long story short, I went to pick up the car and noticed they were putting 5-30 oil in it. The manager (a good friend of mine) thought they were putting 5-40 in it, but he seems to think the 5-30 would be fine anyway.

I'm not exactly satisfied with the prospect... I'm vary particular about oil, I'll only use the 5-40 Rotella stuff, or TDT depending on price. I just wanted to pick your brains... is the situation dire? Should I change it asap or is it alright for a few days? Damn Wal-Mart was out of stock and I'm not paying $28/gallon at Autozone.

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Its not worth losing a friendship over.You have an oil that is somewhat thinner, but it still lubricates.

I start my car every winter morning. Every start, the oils is much thicker than it should be, but do any of us worry?

16vjohn

TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Good point about the thickness... though I don't think less of the guy, haha. He knows his stuff. I just tend to be very scrupulous when it comes to oil and filters. The previous owner a had "Quaker State 10-30" oil change sticker on the inside of the windshield, clearly the reason the turbo was shot. Amazing it lasted this long.

JasonG

Veteran Member
TDI
1994, 2003 JSW (sold), 2012 Jetta
Hate to say it but that makes me worry that the TB was propperly installed.

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
Just got the freshly rebuilt head back and they're starting out with the wrong oil?

Hmmm.....personally, I'd change it for a break-in period.
+1.

I had the same thought. Use the present oil for a break in and change it to your preferred oil in about 500 miles.

16vjohn

TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
That's what I thought... I'm going to change the oil out today. Parts are fine, I got the old poopie kit from bora parts. I already checked the belt and rollers as I do any time I use a shop for work that I don't want to do. Shop used a VCDS, and it runs great otherwise. Thanks for the ideas.