Good places to get a timing belt done?

pnyknight

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 1.9 GLS, reflex silver (pseudo wrecked Apr10/13); 2013 Candy White Jetta TDI
As the title suggest, where's a good and trusted mechanic/shop to get the timing belt replaced for a '02 jetta tdi (ALH)? I was planning on having it done over the weekend. I called Precision and the earliest would be next Wednesday, probably quite busy with his upcoming move, and I don't blame him. Plus it's quite a trek to that end of town.

Are they any shops closer in the Scarborough area?

ik0n

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI
Beerme said:
The Belleville VW satellite shop in Cobourg used to come highly recommended.
I grew up in Cobourg and my parents still live there... I'm SHOCKED to hear that place used to come highly recommended... There are very few VW's in the area, let alone TDI's; I hadn't heard many positive things about the place...

I've been to Brandon (DCB Auto) and would definitely recommend him!

Brett

pnyknight

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 1.9 GLS, reflex silver (pseudo wrecked Apr10/13); 2013 Candy White Jetta TDI
Belleville is further away than Precision and DCB. I sent Brandon a reply, hopefully he can get it in time during this week.

mattds

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta
what's the average price for getting your Timing belt done outside of the dealership? They quoted me $950.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
mattds said:
what's the average price for getting your Timing belt done outside of the dealership? They quoted me $950.
Depends on the model of car... In any case, there are many dealerships that can't be trusted with this!!!! If you're in the GTA, just go to Brandon's shop... you won't do better and you'll save money in the process... http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=61521 DCB Auto Repairs... 141 Oakdale... 416-747-0400

Yuri

Tubber

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5spd
Just got mine done yesterday

At http://vanderheydensgarage.com/

He's on Simcoe St South, Oshawa just off the 401.

$1100 with taxes and he also replaced my ailing alternator pulley.

Dropped off Tues night, Wed afternoon done.

He's under the recommended mechanics sticky for Ontario

mattds

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta
Tubber said:
At http://vanderheydensgarage.com/

He's on Simcoe St South, Oshawa just off the 401.

$1100 with taxes and he also replaced my ailing alternator pulley.

Dropped off Tues night, Wed afternoon done.

He's under the recommended mechanics sticky for Ontario

Is that including the Alternator pulley? I mean that's right inline witht he dealership's $950+ taxes....

Tubber

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5spd
No, I was going to do it myself, but I figured while he's in there for the TB he could replace it. I supplied it to him.

Just go to a trusted mechanic and pay good money for a good job...no sense cheaping out, you'll be worse off if things aren't done right, and you'll regret it. I have no experience with the dealership doing work, but some have and regretted it. The trusted mechanics are on the list just for that, they do a good job.

Is the dealership quoating you 950 taxes incl?

mattds

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta
I didn't ask, but i'd presume that it was plus taxes...although often you can get them to knock off 10% with a bit of negotiation. Your right though, if you find a good guy stick with him...

I have 78K now so i'm a ways off but it's good to know what the costs are.

pnyknight

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm I've never actually called any of the dealerships because of those reason mentioned above. I've been meaning to call Brandon but work is just crazy swamped all week. I've been babying the car ever since...

Tsagoth

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon Automatic
mattds said:
$950 at the dealer is likely belt, WP and tensioner only. Dealer price for a real TB job with all the parts is more along the lines of $1400.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
To give you an outside dealership perspective... I paid $900 a few years back for the full long-life belt kit, with waterpump and everything else, at a highly recommended independent VW mechanic in Ottawa (Advanced Autowerks)

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
pnyknight said:
As the title suggest, where's a good and trusted mechanic/shop to get the timing belt replaced for a '02 jetta tdi (ALH)? I was planning on having it done over the weekend. I called Precision and the earliest would be next Wednesday, probably quite busy with his upcoming move, and I don't blame him. Plus it's quite a trek to that end of town.

Are they any shops closer in the Scarborough area?
Nardi Motors‎
151 Nantucket Boulevard, Scarborough, ON M1P 4R5
(416) 701-0999‎
Talk to Louie/Mario

pnyknight

Veteran Member
TDI
Finally got around to calling Brandon earlier today and got it setup for Tuesday. Arg weather says 28C...and I still got the winters on :S

Madridista

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline 6spd
Belleville VW

I know of TDI owners who will drive to Belleville to save 400 dollars to get the timing belt changed.

mattds

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta
Are there any performance upgrades that can be made when doing this? Can the timing be adjusted at all - to help with a rough idle?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
I know of TDI owners who will drive to Belleville to save 400 dollars to get the timing belt changed.
Not so much to save 400 dollars (Brandon charges even less) but to make sure it's done properly. Belleville VW - or their branch in Cobourg (as well as the other shop in Belleville - Competition Motors) have a good track record... They all use the VW-supplied water pump with a composite impeller, but... that's not a deal-breaker for many...

Yuri

sinc

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I could do my tb myself but I still take my car to Wroth VW in Erin. I've been to many places for all my tdi's as well as my parents tdi's, but I prefer Wroth overall. Has nice free loaner cars too, ones a chipped tdi ;)

Last time I check with him he was $730, OE composite water pump, tensioner, pulleys, long life belt, bolts and coolant.

It's an actual nice shop too, clean and not cluttered full of garbage and parts like most places I've been. Plus Hendrick, Perry and Mark are all awesome mechanics.

It's worth the drive to Erin ;)

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
Finally got around to calling Brandon earlier today and got it setup for Tuesday. Arg weather says 28C...and I still got the winters on :S
I need to do my timing belt...just debating whether to do it myself or contract it out..lol

whats brandons contact #?

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
It woud be closer to go to Newmarket than to Belleville VW.

Here are the 2 highly recommended places

http://www.mittlermotors.com/
Owner: Mark Mittler
Wow, that's a name from the past. Hope Mark is keeping well. Does he still have that super clean MK1 Rabbit?

Did some lapping events at Shannonville with him back in 1996 when I got my drivers licence. Those were the days of VMC. VMC was the Volkswagen Motorsport Club of Toronto. Good times.

kingkos

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon TDI
I could do my tb myself but I still take my car to Wroth VW in Erin. I've been to many places for all my tdi's as well as my parents tdi's, but I prefer Wroth overall. Has nice free loaner cars too, ones a chipped tdi ;)

Last time I check with him he was $730, OE composite water pump, tensioner, pulleys, long life belt, bolts and coolant.

It's an actual nice shop too, clean and not cluttered full of garbage and parts like most places I've been. Plus Hendrick, Perry and Mark are all awesome mechanics.

It's worth the drive to Erin ;)
i've used the Bug Shop now for 3 timing belts. The first one is now going on 120K km and the other two are nearing the 80K and 100K mark with no problems. The price was right, but may be a bit far.

I also like Wroth up in Erin. Smart guys that seem to know their sh*t.

steve

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Both Brandon and Hendrick are great for TB changes.... It just depends on where you are.

If you are up in Caledon/Erin/Guelph area, it is closer to go to Wroth.

If you in the closer GTA area, DCB is your place to call on.

MrVermin

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
most of you guys posting have 06 models or older. can i assume that the tb process is similar for an 09 jsw? i'm assuming all of the recommended mechanics are willing/capable of dealing with newer models because the dealerships would have you think otherwise with scare tactics.