Buyback scheduled in the morning; just got "fix" offer

tgeliot

TDI
2012 Golf
The timing couldn't possibly be any closer. I'm scheduled to do the buyback tomorrow morning, and just received an email saying that my 2012 is now eligible for a "fix".

I already own another car, and don't really want to keep the Golf. Is there any reason to not do the buyback as scheduled? I'm paying insurance on the car, so delaying will cost me some just from that. My impression is that I won't be able to sell the car for enough to make it worth getting the fix and then selling it, but if I'm wrong, please tell me :D

Thanks for any advice you have.

tgeliot

TDI
2012 Golf
There is no obligation whatsoever for you to change course.
Thanks, I do understand that. I'm just wondering if there's an advantage to changing course. If I do, I expect it would take another 4 weeks or so to get another buyback appointment.

I just took a peek in craigslist. Of course I have to read between the lines to estimate the value of a fixed 2012 TDI, by looking at the prices for fixed 2015 TDIs and various gasoline models, but it appears it may be worth my while to fix the car and resell it.

CarlosF

TDI
2010 GSW TDI DSG Blue Graphite
Depends upon the condition of the car, mileage, etc. and whether it'd be worth more fixed and then sold versus the buyback. You'd be selling a TDI with a damn good extended (and fully transferable) warranty, possibly keeping it in use and out of the crusher for someone else to enjoy...

walterwood

TDI
2009 TDI Jetta Sportwagen
"modification" vs "buyback" 2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagon

Subj: "modification" vs "buyback" 2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagon

I just received a "recall" package describing the "modification" for my 2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagon located here in California. VWcourtsettlement.com is reporting they will pay $21,136.73 if I return it on 4/2/2018 or if I do the "modification" on that same date a payment of $6011.73 but the "modification" is described as reducing fuel economy by an estimated 2 miles per gallon and also effecting engine noise and performance. I'm considering 4/2/2018 because that is the month the registration will be due along with a CA required "smog test" that I am presuming would be failed without the "modification." An earlier "modification" or "buyback" date 8/26/2017 results in a smaller restitution payment of $5906.73 for "modification" and $20506.73 for "buyback." So it seems like it is better to delay until shortly before the required "smog" test.
I'd be interested in any engineering assessments about what exactly the "modification" does that reduces fuel economy and performance.

rsiegfried

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2009 Touareg TDI, 2014 Passat SE TDI
I'm still on the fence with my 2014 Passat. Not ready to give up on diesel. Considering fix and keep or sell back and find a new 2015.
Has anyone had the FIX performed any able to report the results???

Fireman554

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI - SEL
Hi there,
I've had the fix performed on my 2015 Jetta TDI SEL. I have not noticed
any loss of mpg or power degradation and the car runs great. In have noticed more power on the top end and I'm definitely keeping my car. My
1st diesel was a 1971 Jetta coupe diesel. It wasn't quick, but got almost 60 mpg.
Incidentally, that car is still on the road here in Pennsylvania.

Nurse Diesel

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen 6-spd. MT
Hi everybody! New to this site but am absolutely agonized over the whole "Dieselgate" affair! I wish VW would have told Uncle to take a flying leap! I love my 2014 Sportwagen, the Teutonic Titwillow, just the way she is!

But anyhow, I have initially opted for the fix; but after reading many comments from owners in Europe, I'm having second and third thoughts. Any additional feedback from those who have it done will be much appreciated.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The fix in Europe has nothing to do with the fix in North America. The fix in Europe was rushed into production to appease the regulators who didn't care about side effects. The fix in North America was developed under threat of "thou shalt not adversely affect performance, driveability, ..." by the EPA and CARB, and it took so long to show up because all of the involved parties have put it through plenty of testing.

Now, the Gen 1 fix has JUST showed up in the real world a week ago, so there is obviously very limited real world long term experience with it.

kVox42

TDI
2010 Golf
I have a 2010 Golf; purchased new. "In theory", my intention was it would be the last car I'd have to purchase. It has 80K on it now and is in excellent shape. It's been a great vehicle and I don't want to get rid of it. I also just recently got the notification about the modification being approved and now available. I won't restate what is already posted on this forum about what VW says will be the impact of the fix (2mpg, some additional noise, etc.) However, I am concerned about making a decision to go with the fix without having any long-term track record to go on. How will it perform over time? We simply don't know. Putting the ethical issue of environmental impact aside for the moment (which is not an unimportant issue for me) I'm wondering about two things: 1) If I get the modification done and it turns out to substantially reduce the car's appeal, can I get it put back to where it is, pre-fix? Basically, revert back to square one? 2) If I decide not to get the modification done and keep the car as-is, is it a vehicle that can be legally registered over the years to come? (It's registered in NC).

Last edited:

walterwood

TDI
2009 TDI Jetta Sportwagen
I am also fence sitting on the decision to repair or accept the buy back offer for my 2009 Jetta TDI (generation 1). I'm in CA where the state bureau of air quality management is highly likely to require the fix to pass the smog test required every two years for registration. I'm expecting to have to decide by April 2018 because that is when the registration is due. Unless I hear bad things from those who get "the fix" I'm probably going to choose fix and keep the car. However, the amount of money VW is offering seems to grow larger the later the proposed buy back date.

I have a 2010 Golf; purchased new. "In theory", my intention was it would be the last car I'd have to purchase. It has 80K on it now and is in excellent shape. It's been a great vehicle and I don't want to get rid of it. I also just recently got the notification about the modification being approved and now available. I won't restate what is already posted on this forum about what VW says will be the impact of the fix (2mpg, some additional noise, etc.) However, I am concerned about making a decision to go with the fix without having any long-term track record to go on. How will it perform over time? We simply don't know. Putting the ethical issue of environmental impact aside for the moment (which is not an unimportant issue for me) I'm wondering about two things: 1) If I get the modification done and it turns out to substantially reduce the car's appeal, can I get it put back to where it is, pre-fix? Basically, revert back to square one? 2) If I decide not to get the modification done and keep the car as-is, is it a vehicle that can be legally registered over the years to come? (It's registered in NC).

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE

A little reading would have answered these for you, but the short answers -
1) - VW will not undo the fix that is applied. HOWEVER - if you want to put an aftermarket tune on there is nothing stopping you. You will probably lose any extra warranty as a result of having the fix done.

2) - You can drive your unfixed TDI in NC FOREVER. Period. as long as it passes the annual safety inspection. NC doesn't even do OBDII checks on light duty diesels (like our cars). I do not own a single vehicle that requires emissions tests in NC ( :) ) - 1988 Acura Integra (pre-OBDII), 1998 Honda Valkyrie (GL1500C motorcycle), 2000 TDI New Beetle and 2015 TDI Golf.