Need help on installing amplifier and subwoofer.

Greg82

TDI
Jetta 2000 GLS TDI
Hi

I have a Jetta 2000, and i would like to install an amp and sub. Whats the best way to pass amplifier wiring trough the dashboard.

I used to have golf and it was easy, from a first glance it seemed complicated on a jetta, and i dont want to break anything.

Thx for your help.

02DslPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, TDI
I passed my wiring through a rubber gromet under the dash. If you look under the dash behind the pedals, at the top edge of the carpet there is a rubber gromet with nothing coming through it. I pulled the gromet out, drilled a hole in it, then put it back. Wires slide right through. So does everything else, so I would say only big enough to get the wire through. I have a few wires and my boost gauge tubing coming through there. Its perfect for routing it to anywhere in the car.

If I remember right, the hole is at least 2" in diameter which should be big enough to get even a 2 gauge wire through.

Hope this helps.

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
The grommet above the pedals is the best location tro pass the power wire. You'll need to remove the lower dash panels to get access to it. I've removed mine about 100x so I can get it all apart pretty quickly. If you pm me your location I could give you a hand if you like.

cosmic

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Silver Arrow
Yes, the factory empty grommet on the firewall almost directly behind the "go" pedal" is the best location to bring the power cable from the battery.

I am guessing you are going to locate said sub and amp in the trunk?

If so, then you will need to get the power cable back there, as well as determine how you are going to get signal.

I would run the power cable over to the driver side sill, and then down the sill trim to get it to the back and into the trunk. You'll be pulling off much of the lower trim when you do this. Not a big deal, but it takes some time to be thorough and not break anything. A Bently manual and its pics are a great asset in this endeavor.

Once you get the power back there, you will run a ground wire from somewhere on the frame, as short as possible, to the amp. when you get all that trim off, you may find a threaded stud or two that may work for your application (low power, higher gauge wire) with some sanding, or you may wish to drill and sand a location somewhere on the sheet metal (higher power, lower gauge wire).

Lastly, you have to get signal back there. You may be pulling this from speakers, monsoon amp, or direct from an after market head. If the latter, be sure to run it down the OTHER (passenger?) sill so its not running parallel with a power cable for a distance.

Good Luck!

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI PD, Tiptronic
I tapped the terminal strip under the D/S of the dash, there is a large-ish (#4?) wire on the terminal strip there, and I just attached a #8 wire with a ring terminal directly underneath it. Ran it under the driver's side door trim and all the way back to the hatch.
I tapped both rear speakers at the B pillars and used the high level inputs on my amp.
I tapped the remote turn-on wire for my phatbox to trigger the turn-on on my amp.

I also use the #8 power wire to feed my trailer lighting controller as well.

I have a rockford fosgate 10" punch stage 1 in a 0.6ft^3 sealed box with a small clarion mono amp on the top. Extremely small footprint, but it still pounds hard enough to mess with your voice :D

A_Shifter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Zero10 said:
I have a rockford fosgate 10" punch stage 1 in a 0.6ft^3 sealed box with a small clarion mono amp on the top.
Now this is the kind of info I've been combing the threads for. What kind of power are you running on that amp?
Anybody else?
Any box, woofer, amp (size/make) recommendations for adding on to a Monsoon system?