2004 West Coast TDIFest! (Let's Start Planning)

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
2004 West Coast TDIFest! (Let\'s Start Planning)

Ok folks, the original thread and idea was from Kerma in this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?C...rt=1#Post653653

We want to seriously start the discussions flowing and begin some planning on holding a West Coast TDIFest sometime this year. So, we need ideas, possible locations, volunteers, and anything else we can think of. There's a huge population of TDI owners on the West Coast, so we're hoping the turn out will be huge. Let's also try to include some family activities to get everyone involved! Let's make this the GTG of the year! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

peter pyce

Veteran Member

Can't remember who suggested the New Dimension as a host, but I am not sure they are that TDI-friendly, therefore I am not so sure they will be so excited about hosting a big TDI GTG. Of course, we can always try, but just kind of can't picture "ND" and "TDI" in one sentence...

Tim Tomas could be possible game, because two days ago I asked him about having lots of TDI people for possible summer GTG with BBQ and he was positive. The thing is, that place is kind of "isolated" and not so good looking neither...

I guess this event will be more than a day, probably two days (Saturday and Sunday), so Tim could be just a part of the event, like the Tech. Part would be in his place for few hours, etc. The thing is, the whole SFBA is full of people and traffic and moving around with 50-100 cars will be pure pain and will cost so much trouble..... I really think that we have to plan something little bit "out" of the SFBA. Perhaps a winery in Napa (or Sonoma) LOL /images/graemlins/grin.gif where we can have drinking contest too, with lots of parking on the grass, great weather and food and fantastic roads to go for a Drive. Plenty of motels and B&B too.

To think about it, Reno-Tahoe area is not bad either! A lot more space, cheaper to eat, sleep, etc. and kind of more "central", so we can get more people from Utah, Colorado, Arizona, etc....

Beside this, I like also all the ideas people had on that topic, the only problem is we have to try to stay "central" and the SFBA-Reno kind of falls in there, even if for the Seattle people our land is not central at all compare to our LA members.....

Let's see what people will come out with for the next few weeks and then I guess we will have better picture.

DaveC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL, 5 spd, Mohave beige, 2015 Golf TDI red!

Hi Peter,
You might give the town of Fairfield CA. some consideration. It is 1 hour from SF, and 3 hours from Reno.
The wine country is 30 minutes away, and it is out of the bay area congestion.
Hotels can be had at a resonable price also.
There are several large parks that can be rented for special events.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dave

peter pyce

Veteran Member

Dave, it is not really me who's making the decisions, we ALL will decide and try to suit as many people as possible /images/graemlins/smile.gif I personally have no problem to drive even to Alaska for a West Coast GTG, but guess many people will simply chose not to come if the location is not so suitable for them.... Also, beside location, the main issue is WHO is going to take the "heavy" task to be the main supporter of the GTG. I mean, if there are 50-100 people coming, we better offer way more than simply a parking lot or a drive way. A dealership is simply one of the best solutions, but our best dealerships are in South California (Harv & Capo). Of course, an individual can do maybe even better, but it is really huge task for a member to organize such event around where he/she lives. Just thinking of where and how to park 50-100 cars is headache alone /images/graemlins/smile.gif If I owned a winery in Napa, boy, you all be my guests, but I am far from having that pleasure. Dave, do not get me wrong, the place you suggest is great, I know it too, the thing is WHO is going to take the task on the shoulders? I really think it is huge, almost impossible work for one private person like you. Of course, we may help, but even then, it is going to be one heavy task as we all have plenty of other things to do in life too. Well, I guess at the end, if we really can't find a bigger "sponsor" for this event - then perhaps we will go Plan "B" and do something more simple on our own, but believe me, it is better we try to involve somebody "bigger" first, because you really do not want to do this alone. Hope I did not sound too negative, just trying to be realistic. Organizing a small in town GTG is already way too much time, which many of us do not really have, so I may not even be able to imagine what would a Mega GTG become /images/graemlins/smile.gif

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI

If this gets big, then some sort of sponsor is needed. Things like this can be expensive, especially if we decide to include any track, drag, or dyno times for a large group of people. In the SFBA, the actual amount of shops who would even be interested and have the know how to help is very limited. I mentioned ND since they have the experience with these types of GTGs and would know how to gain access to any track or drag strips since I have no idea how to do that. However, I agree, their experience lies in gassers and not diesels. Tomas may help but as you said, their location is so so. Fairfield or Sac is possible, or even Reno or Vegas. I myself like the idea of Vegas since there's probably lots of options there, things will be cheaper, and there's things to do for those family members who don't live and breath TDIs. But we need club members from those areas to assist and scope things out. I'm hoping we can get several sponsors, and perhaps even the help of some who worked prior TDIFests in the past.

Vancouver, Canada or Seattle is another option, since there's lots of members in the PNW, and the B.C. area, home of Fred. Again, this takes lots of help, and some money to get something like this going, at least in my mind. Thoughts?

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black

What about Karmart, the newish VW dealer up in WA state near the border? In Mt. Vernon or Burlington? I know they hosted some kind of GTG in the past and were fairly friendly...

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant

Quick note guys.... There can really only be ONE TDIFest a year, BUT, if we are serious, 2005 hasn't been chosen yet..... Hint, hint, nudge, nudge. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta

We should collect funds for this "west fest" just like for the "real" FEST.

FRED, dude, you live on the west coast!! You're welcome to come to this one too! It will be a few weeks earlier thatn the "real" fest.

SLC is doable (for me!!) There is a track, several dynos, Salt Flats. but, not the most convenient for the Cali crowd, and I'm not sure I will have the time to coordinate.

BUt VEGAS may be the most central location. FOr sure that town won't even flinch at us. There is a track, dynos, Diesel Dynamics, etc.

Harv has offered to host an event at his new 4-bay facility. But, it's not very central. Reno probably fits that bill.

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Fred: I think the original discussion/idea about this whole thing started since the last two fests were located far away from the west coast. Many didn't want to or couldn't drive the distance and with the doubling of the club in the last two years, it seemed to make sense to try and organize some sort of huge GTG for the west coast folks. Hence this thread.

mackwood

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta grey

Vegas sounds perfect!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/crazy.gif /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Heinz57

Veteran Member

The suggestion for Fairfield sounds reasonable for a West coast GTG. We would have to have access to a large parking area so a local park would be great but we would still need a place to do some wrenching. A (2)day event also sounds good with the first day meeting at the park, making minor mods, BBQ and every one gets to meet followed by a late afternoon cruise ?? Sunday could be a wrenching day or speed day. Since many people will have to drive 8-12 hours to get there Sunday noon might be sparsely attended.

DaveC

Veteran Member
TDI

Two problems I can think of with Vegas are: it is quite a ways south, (10 hour drive from the SF bay area)and the second thing is the heat in the summer. Do you really want to be out wrenching on your car or even outside in 110+ degree heat? I think it would be a good idea if we had it somewhere near the SF bay area. That way it is about equal distance from LA area and the folks up north.

Regarding Fairfield CA. Here is a short list of things to do FREE for the significant other and kids that do not have an interest in TDI's.
The Jelly Belly factory is in town. Free tours are given daily along with samples. Tours of the Budweiser brewery and free beer tasting. Thompsons Chocolate Factory, Wooden Valley Winery tours and tasting, and a large complex of Factory Outlet stores. Napa valley is 30 minutes away for wine tasting or sightseeing.
Vacaville Volkswagen is 10 minutes away.
Thompson's sport tuning shop is 35 minute drive away, so they can participate somehow.
(Honestly, I do not work for the local Fairfield Chamber of Commerce /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta

Yeah, forgot all about how it gets in Vegas in summertime.

Somewhere in Cali is probablby best for the majority.

Foremost in my mind is a track. We need bragging rights.

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon

So far, Fairfield sounds like the best so far. Depending on the date, it could still be 90+ degrees even there. & I assume this is going to be on a 3 day weekend???
Gheeze, I'm still eating food from the last GTG~~~Dan, your Korean chicken(didn't have any @ the PAGTG) is FANTASTIC!!!! That is, from the waist up /images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/eek.gif!!!

DaveC

Veteran Member
TDI

The only track I know about for public use in this area is the Sears Point Raceway (Now offically called Infinon Raceway). It is near Vallejo, about 40 minutes from Fairfield. They rent track time to the public. I do not know how much that costs though.
One park in the area is Lake Solano. There is swimming and fishing there for the kids. They have a large lawn area with trees for shade with lots of parking. They reserve areas for groups.

A question that comes to mind, is that do we all want to do at this GTG?
So far I have heard track for racing, barbecue, and wrenching. If we can get general concensus on the activities, we can focus on finding a spot that can accomidate all of these activities. Finding a race track is going to be somewhat of a challenge, since there are not a lot of them around, and they are expensive.
Of course we have to stay with a budget, since we do not have any wealthy benefactors that I know about. /images/graemlins/wink.gif
Perhaps we can find a few local businesses to help sponsor this event.
It seems sort of ironic that we are celebrating a car that is not even legal to buy in California presently.
Perhaps we can talk a local VW dealer into having a couple demo 2004 TDI cars for us to drive and look at. Us California TDI enthusiasts would like that.

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Dave: You're doing a great job of convincing us about Fairfield! With Marine World and the other activities near by, it sounds like it meets the requirements of many! Those with families and kids will have things to do. I'm hoping we can get some vendor booths at this large GTG, like Elite Motorworks, Tomas, Dent Wizards (paintless dent removal), and other shops in the bay area/sac region. Perhaps even some biodiesel discussions/vendors as well. Maybe mdt (Marshall) can help us with the biodiesel part. Lining up guest speakers, in addition to Bosio, would be great. It sounds like we'll need a drag strip/track of some sort, so we'll have to do some research on the costs of renting time at Sears Point. I'm wondering too if anyone knows of any shops with one of those mobile dynos. I've seen them at a few car shows and think that would be nice to have as well. I suppose if there's interest we could also have a car show with judging, but I'm not too sure if there would be too much interest.

Those are just some random thoughts on a Sunday afternoon...

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon

More random thoughts~~~just how important is a track & dyno? Personally, I would prefer a run on something like Mountain View Rd~~~seems it would be more fun. We could even do something like a rally but that's just me. I wish I could offer up something up here on the coast~~~like Manchester State Park with a KOA near by, but it would be @ the height of the tourist season:-(.
What does anybody thing about Sacramento? I-5 goes right by it & it should have ALL facilities we would need. Anyone from Sac want to chime in?

zebrajeb

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 02, Silver, AT

I certainly like Sacramento but would come to Fairfield. Don't know what is in Sacramento.

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta

We could always plan the track event around an event that is already happening, like we did at the 2002 fest. We all got track time because there was alreadya a race going on, we just jumped om the bandwagon, just got included as a separate "class"

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta

Example: Every other Friday here in SLC there is the "midnight drags" where all the ricers come out of the woodwork. People just bring their car off the street and race.

DaveC

Veteran Member
TDI

Just a thought about a drag strip.
There is a nice park called Lagoon Valley Park between Fairfield and Vacaville. It is right off Hwy 80. Group picnic rental areas are available.
Alongside the park is a long straight road that is a dead end. There are a couple of houses on the end of it up in the hills. I wonder if we could informally block it off for a short period at a time and do some 1/4 mile drag races there. It is a two lane road, with probably 5 cars a day passing along it.
If we could pull of this idea, it would be a lot cheaper than renting a drag strip. I realize that it is technically not legal, but it sure would be convenient. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon

Dave, BAD idea~~~all it would take is 1 person with a cell phone & a CHP. Those observed racing would be cited for partipating in a speed contest & the others would be cited for aiding in a speed contest. Both 2 point tickets with HEAVY fines~~~you could even have your license suspended.

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Doyle's right, racing on public streets is a no no. Plus, I think Kerma and others are after the timeslips one gets from the drags to prove what times they ran. I just checked the Sears Point track schedule and guess what, they're all booked the entire year already. They recommmend booking 6 months to a year in advance! Perhaps AtomicSushi, Ducatipaso, or TdiCa can chime in on what they know about Sacramento Raceway...

By the way Doyle, glad to hear you liked the korean chicken! Still feasting on all the leftovers, huh? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

AtomicSushi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Golf GL

[ QUOTE ]
I certainly like Sacramento but would come to Fairfield. Don't know what is in Sacramento.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regarding Sacramento, for sure there is the Sacramento Raceway Park, which has a 1/4 mile track. I also know of some shops in town that may be able to host Dyno sessions.
So far as a good meeting place we could have it at Cal Expo if we can get a sponsor to cough up enough Money because I'm sure it won't be cheap. Maybe any one of the sac area VW dealerships could help, plus I'm sure some of the local VW clubs might wanna help out.

I'd be up for anything in Cali though, but I'd certainly nominate Sacramento for this or TDI Fest 2005.

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta

COnsider this a "dry run" for 2005!!

Another suggestion: we dont neccesarily need to invent our own event- we could "piggyback" with another already established event. Less legwork. Ideas? NorCal has gotta have something happening in August.

peter pyce

Veteran Member

Charlie, have you been to NorCal events? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif It is really hard for me to picture 50 mid age TDIers talking about how to lift their cars by 2 inches - together with a big group of youngsters talking about how to slam their rides by at least 3 inches /images/graemlins/grin.gif They are really fine folks, but I think the whole TDI community may not really "click" with them in one day /images/graemlins/grin.gif Do not get me wrong, I will have great time with both as I know half of them and half of you here!

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI

"Yo, dude, check out my Jetta. I got me some 22 inch rims, dope, huh? Yeh, they're chrome. My car is slammed too. You can never be too low, you know what I mean? My blow off valve is waay cool too. Whistles when I rev it above 3k. Oh, did I tell you about my Wings West spoiler? It's 3ft high and tilts when I go above 40 mph. Did I show you my interior? It's custom. I painted the dash jazz blue to match the exterior, and took out the passenger airbag to put in my 13 inch dvd screen. I got me 5 Xplod amps in my truck and took out my back seat to put in my 18 inch custom sub. That system hits hard! My headlights flash when my sub hits too. Oh, check out my Boser carbon fiber hood, and shaved handles. I joey modded my headlights and painted my headliner black. Finally, it took me 5 hours to put those 200 stickers on my car. So, what's your name again, Baazio? Nozzles? Will they make my car look lower? TDI? Dude, those cars are soooo slow and weak!" /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

peter pyce

Veteran Member

Yooo! U phat, sick Dan! U doin OK with that FMIC thou! Just need 1.8T badge! LMAO! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

michael.

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2K, silver

Looks like this is going to happen in Cali - bummer. I will drive down to Oregon or up to Canada, but not much further - pretty much a 3-4 hour drive from Tacoma. Anything more and it's a lot of work...

Just my .02
michael.

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon

Dan, LOLOL!!! Reminds me of the Dyno GTG about 4 yrs ago in Mt. View~~~there were some "prominent" VW Vortexers there with lowered cars, fake spoilers, pimples, trying to look cool smoking, & painted calipers. When I asked Peter, Alan & Norman why they painted them, they looked @ me as if I was from Mars. Did anybody forget a BIG mechanical thing with solar panels on it @ the last GTG??? It was moving around sloooowly in the firing range area & upsetting Blondie, so I fired one of those magnum slugs into it & it hasen't moved since /images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/eek.gif!!!
& yes, I'm still eating leftovers from the GTG~~~believe it or not, the Korean beef is still GOOD~~~had some last night~~~YUM!!!