Shocks/Struts recommendations and help

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
I can tell you what NOT to use. The previous owner of my Jetta had DriveWorks struts and shocks installed, just before he sold me the car. I never heard of that brand. Anyway, they're pretty mushy. I also noticed the front bump-stops are beat up, from the suspension bottoming out. The car feels floaty on the highway, too.

They might be good for an old lady who wants her car to float like an old Cadillac. But that's about it.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Most folks seem to like Koni and Bilstein. Supposedly the billies are less rust prone.

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI Automatic, 2011 Jetta TDI 6 Spd. Manual. Malone Stage 2
Most folks seem to like Koni and Bilstein. Supposedly the billies are less rust prone.
My Konis were delivered today. Anyone know of a clearcoat spray etc.. that would help prevent rust?

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
So far, I haven't seen any mention of KYB dampers. Has anyone used them? The KYB AGX seem to be reasonably priced, and they're adjustable.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
We joke around here that KYB stands for Keep Your Bilsteins.

They are pretty short lived units. They are the ones that supply a lot of Mazdas and other Japanese cars that are blown out by 100k miles, or sooner.

limerence

TDI
Candy White 2003 TDI Wagon
My Konis were delivered today. Anyone know of a clearcoat spray etc.. that would help prevent rust?
Did you install them yet Steven? How do you like them?

Indigo - how firm did you adjust them to when you installed?

Thanks,
John

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
No adjustments on Special Actives. They self-adjust in response to suspension movement.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I had Koni Red's in one of my cars and recall that they were adjustable in both directions. It made for a solid ride but can't remember how it compares to what's out there today as this was after so many years and the car was stolen shortly after the koni's we installed!

I have KW V2/V3 combo in the Beetle and they are dialled in for limited bounce and rebound. The V3's are on the rear to help with rebound primarily when the trailer is attached.

I find that the KW are a bit too stiff when the car is unloaded but much nicer when the trailer is attached.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Unless I've missed something, that's for Specials (Reds), and Sports (Yellows). FSDs had no adjustment, and I've not heard that it changed with Special Actives.

limerence

TDI

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Those are Specials (Reds), not Special Actives. Reds do adjust. I install them as they come out of the box, however. The adjustment is designed to compensate for wear.

limerence

TDI
Those are Specials (Reds), not Special Actives. Reds do adjust. I install them as they come out of the box, however. The adjustment is designed to compensate for wear.
Gotcha. Thank you. Just put an order in for the fronts Reds and going to get the rears as well. I have these on another one of my cars and consensus among the forumites for that vehicle is to set it to max stiffness so I thought I would check with you to see what you had it at for the Jetta wagon. Will try to do the same as you and leave as is from factory and tighten or loosen after I have had some time with her.

Thanks.

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
Just thought I would throw in a review of two months on new springs and struts and shocks on my 03 wagon from IDParts. Sachs struts and shocks all around and the VR6 springs up front and towing springs in the back. Ride height up quite a bit which is nice. Ride is firm and predictable but a bit harsh as I can feel every bump now. Steering is lighter too , which I attribute to the changed geometry from the increased ride height? I actually don’t like the lightened steering. Might try and figure out how to return the more stable feel from before. If I had to do again, I might consider the upgraded sets that people are mentioning. Was trying to save a few pennies.

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Do folks usually change the springs too? Im just thinking about changing the shocks only.

Are you talking about fronts or rears? As I think you know these springs are known for breaking
If your talking fronts, I like to change front springs as you have them all apart already
Rears are super easy to change at any time so you change them whenever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
Do folks usually change the springs too? Im just thinking about changing the shocks only.
Mine was sitting down pretty good and when I pulled them my passenger side spring was broken. Not uncommon, apparently. Definitely give them a good assesment.

limerence

TDI
Are you talking about fronts or rears? As I think you know these springs are known for breaking
If your talking fronts, I like to change front springs as you have them all apart already
Rears are super easy to change at any time so you change them whenever
Sorry, yes I was referring to the fronts. Didn’t know that they commonly break as I was hoping to reuse the original ones. Will scour through the forum for the right one to buy.

Last edited:

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Installed Bilstein/Eibach VR6 stuff on wife's '03 wagon at about 40k kms. 320k and 17 years later it is still as tight and controlled as when first done.

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Sorry, yes I was referring to the fronts. Didn’t know that they commonly break as I was hoping to reuse the original ones. Will scour through the forum for the right one to buy.

Check PMs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I have the original front springs in my '02 Wagon, still OK at 400K miles. I did have a rear break about 6 years ago, replaced them both.

Since you're in CA where roads aren't salted, your springs may be fine. Look at them and see if they've lost their coating, or if they're jagged at the ends, which is an indication of the end breaking off. If not you may be fine.

limerence

TDI
I have the original front springs in my '02 Wagon, still OK at 400K miles. I did have a rear break about 6 years ago, replaced them both.

Since you're in CA where roads aren't salted, your springs may be fine. Look at them and see if they've lost their coating, or if they're jagged at the ends, which is an indication of the end breaking off. If not you may be fine.
Thanks. Couldnt sleep last night so read til 4am on all this stuff.

My shocks right now are ok (they are blue, not sure what brand they are). Wagon has 207k miles on her now and I bought her at about 180k I think. And in the spur of the moment decision last week I pulled the trigger on front shocks. Was going to get rears as well but they didnt have them in stock. Then came on here to confirm my choice and one thing led to another and was on idparts last night looking at all this stuff.

Now looking at the following:
Parts
- Koni Special D rear shocks (80-2815)
- IDParts Lift Spring Kit (1J0411105CD 1J0511115AN) looks like OOS at the moment
- Suspension Installation Kit with Mounts - whats the difference between standard and track density?
- Front Spring Top Perch (1J0412341)
- Rear Spring Top Buffer (1J0512149B)
- Rear Lower Spring Seat (1J0512109)

Tools
- OEMTools 27036 Strut Compressor
- Any other tools I should look at to make the job easier?

leafs

Veteran Member
TDI
alh
Thanks. Couldnt sleep last night so read til 4am on all this stuff.
My shocks right now are ok (they are blue, not sure what brand they are). Wagon has 207k miles on her now and I bought her at about 180k I think. And in the spur of the moment decision last week I pulled the trigger on front shocks. Was going to get rears as well but they didnt have them in stock. Then came on here to confirm my choice and one thing led to another and was on idparts last night looking at all this stuff.
Now looking at the following:
Parts
- Koni Special D rear shocks (80-2815)
- IDParts Lift Spring Kit (1J0411105CD 1J0511115AN) looks like OOS at the moment
- Suspension Installation Kit with Mounts - whats the difference between standard and track density?
- Front Spring Top Perch (1J0412341)
- Rear Spring Top Buffer (1J0512149B)
- Rear Lower Spring Seat (1J0512109)
Tools
- OEMTools 27036 Strut Compressor
- Any other tools I should look at to make the job easier?
Strut spreader so you're not hammering all day. Can make a diy one, Just search and ye shall receive.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Front springs will be back in stock within two weeks. Lots of suppliers hold back unloading containers at year end to avoid counting contents as inventory. But they should arrive soon.

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6

tjsean0308

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV wagon 5spd graphite blue
I'll throw in my couple pennies here. Get the strut spreader tool! I just did my second set of dampers and it was the best money I spent on the whole job. 10000 times easier than a cold chisel, a lot of swearing and a 12 pack.

As far as dampers, I have ran the Bilstein TC and the Bilstein HD now. I believe the ones I replaced that came on the car when I bought it were the OEM equipment. They were worn out so, I can't speak on their characteristics. I am told they are softer than the TCs which for me would be terrible.

The TC were very nice and soft on small defects and road cracks, but still pretty well controlled on the highway and the curves. Truly a great touring shock, they got floaty on the highway with a loaded car and started having a lot bouncing over humps at lower speed too.

The HDs are less compliant to small defects and cracks, but way more controlled on the highway and the curves. Definitely a firmer damper, but with a loaded car over rough highway dips and drops it's way more comfortable. I also like the small lift the give the car.

This is exactly what I read several years ago when I got the TCs, and I wish I had gone for the HDs the first time.

I guess I just wanted to say don't doubt your instinct or the quality of the info on this amazing forum.

limerence

TDI
I guess I just wanted to say don't doubt your instinct or the quality of the info on this amazing forum.
Not at all. I have always valued advice on the forums. One just has to have an opinion as to what they want before listening to others. A perfect example is the Bilstein HD's. I have them on a 94 Civic VX hatchback. At 200k miles, I wanted to swap out the original shocks. Read up on the Bilstein HDs which have a very good rep. Had a friend put them on for me and I hate the ride til this day. They make the car feel more planted but I could feel every bump. My coworker always dreads it when I take it on our carpool. I'm not an aggressive driver so my preference is a comfortable ride. Since I bought the spring compressors for this job, I thought I would buy the Koni Reds for the Civic as well (NLA and found old stock cheap on eBay). Going to try to swap them all at once. I have the Reds on my T1N Sprinter and its been a comfortable ride for the family and glad to hear that others saw the same in the wagon.

Put my order in to IDP last week after talking to Peter. Didnt pull the trigger on the springs since my springs look ok but I also dont want to do this a second time either. Will debate the VR6/towing springs and will try to make a decision the next couple of days. Hopefully will have everything swapped by March to pick up either some Michelin Crossclimate+'s or General RT43's (General usually has a promo in spring). That'll be my project for her for this year.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Last edited: