"Emissions Service Action 23Z8" for 3.0L Gen2 PC

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Got a letter over the weekend from Audi notifying me of this "service action", "to reduce soot accumulation related to the oxygen sensor." It appears to involve replacing and relocating the O2 sensor, replacing the DPF and diesel oxidation catalyst, and a software update. They claim this "will not adversely impact your vehicles drivability, features, fuel economy, or warranty coverage."

Anyone else heard of this? Know anything further about it?

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Yes, there’s a thread in the model specific discussion and others at other forums. Have you had any faults related to the O2 sensor? I haven’t, therefore am in no hurry to have this work done.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I haven't scanned with VCDS, but I haven't had the check engine light come on at all, or really any other trouble since I did the fix nearly 30k miles ago. I'll look for the other thread--I'd just expected it to be mentioned here due to the Dieselgate connection.

2014AUDIA6TDI

TDI
AUDI A6 TDI 2014
Emissions Service Action 23Z8 - AUDI sending 1 part per week

received the same 23Z8 Emissions Service Action letter from AUDI in July. I went to the dealership twice, they do not have the right part to complete the actions.
I contacted AUDI 2 months later through CHAT.
Their official response is:
"I regret to hear that you have not been able to receive the repair. It was brought to my attention that 1 part is allocated to the dealership per week."
I pushed this issue further, and they responded:
"there is only one part per week allocated to our Audi dealerships. We are not able to expedite parts from Germany".
In the meanwhile, the Check Engine Light is on again. This is the fourth time in the last 18 months, since they reprogrammed the engine to complete the original emission "repair" .
Since then, the engine is sputtering with significant power loss when cold and driven at 25 miles per hour. Very disappointing for an AUDI.
At the speed of 1 part week shipped to dealer and possibly 500 vehicles in the backlog, they might fix it in 10 years!
Did anybody receive the same feedback?
What is AUDI USA doing about this?
Any thought or feedback to resolve the situation?

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
received the same 23Z8 Emissions Service Action letter from AUDI in July. I went to the dealership twice, they do not have the right part to complete the actions.

I contacted AUDI 2 months later through CHAT.

Their official response is:

"I regret to hear that you have not been able to receive the repair. It was brought to my attention that 1 part is allocated to the dealership per week."

I pushed this issue further, and they responded:

"there is only one part per week allocated to our Audi dealerships. We are not able to expedite parts from Germany".

In the meanwhile, the Check Engine Light is on again. This is the fourth time in the last 18 months, since they reprogrammed the engine to complete the original emission "repair" .

Since then, the engine is sputtering with significant power loss when cold and driven at 25 miles per hour. Very disappointing for an AUDI.

At the speed of 1 part week shipped to dealer and possibly 500 vehicles in the backlog, they might fix it in 10 years!

Did anybody receive the same feedback?

What is AUDI USA doing about this?

Any thought or feedback to resolve the situation?

You think there are 500 PC class eligible TDI’s serviced at your local dealer?

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
I got the letter a while ago and was one of the first to report it. I put my name on my local dealer list a they got my parts in this week and I am scheduled to get it done on 10/5. I've read three different reports of people getting it done. 2. Said they noticed no difference and 1 reported it had more power and drivability compared to it pre the orig fix. So no harm, no foul, just get your free DPF, noc sensor and O2 sensor.... and make them give you a loaner to hang out with for the day.... hahahhaha

Beeej259

TDI
2015 Q5
I got the letter a while ago and was one of the first to report it. I put my name on my local dealer list a they got my parts in this week and I am scheduled to get it done on 10/5. I've read three different reports of people getting it done. 2. Said they noticed no difference and 1 reported it had more power and drivability compared to it pre the orig fix. So no harm, no foul, just get your free DPF, noc sensor and O2 sensor.... and make them give you a loaner to hang out with for the day.... hahahhaha
Any update here?

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
Sorry for the delay. I have put around 500 miles on it since the fix and ultimately yes there is a little less lag. About the same fuel economy, but it seems to be struggling less atleast. It also cleared all the readiness monitors in a few hundred miles whereas before I'd gone a few thousand and still couldn't get some of the monitors to pass.... so that's good news. At the very least it feels to have a little more power.

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
FYI anyone who still has not had this done at this late date I strongly recommend you get it done. Not only does get you a brand new DPF and Diesel Oxidation Cat but it comes on a brand new downpipe which seems to help turbo spool and reduce lag. It's a win-win.