Oil for my 2000 Jetta TDI

rjwkx60

I hope only a quick simple oil question, I just want to make sure I understand…

The Manual for my 2000 Jetta TDI reads…
“The following terms must appear on the oil container singly or in combination with other designations.”

VW 505 00
ACEA B3 or ACEA B4
API Service CF4 or API Service CG4

I am planning to change the oil and was going to use this Mobil 1 oil only in a 5w40, being ACEA B3/B4 is listed am I okay??

Thanks, I know this has been discussed many times and many threads turn to arguments and point to oil brands I don’t have available in my area so I would like to use this Mobil 1 oil if it complies.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
You forgot the "5W-40" requirement...

Also, CF is NOT the same as CF-4 (CG-4, CH-4, and CI-4 are "better")

If you're having trouble finding oil, go to WalMart and buy some Shell "Rotella-T" in the Blue bottle... I think it's around $15 for 3.7 L these days... - you'll need a bit more than one jug... (They also have a Rotella oil in white bottles - NOT for the TDI...)

All the best,

Yuri.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I have heard that the Mobil 1 15W50 actually does meet the VW505.00 spec, but for some reason the bottle isn't labeled as such. You might try going to the Mobil1 website and looking it up. I don't know about running that into the winter- unless you are certain to rack up 10K miles before it gets to cold and will be changing to a 0W- or 5W- oil.

You certainly do have other options if you are willing to drive into Grand Rapids. All Walmarts I've been into in MI carry Mobil1 0W40, which does carry VW505.00 rating. I've seen this in our local (Jackson) Autozone too.

I don't know if you have Murray's Autoparts out there, but I've heard they are carrying the Mobil1 5W40 Turbo Diesel Truck (formerly Truck & SUV)

rjwkx60

Thanks!

This is where I was getting a little confused...
Looks like this oil has the ACEA B3 or ACEA B4 rating but not sure about the VW and the API ratings I would guess not.

The Mobil web site only list the 0w40 for this car when I use the "Find oil for your car" option.

I do not plan on using 15w40 this is just a container I had, I plan on using 5w40 but will look at the 0w40 at walmart.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
rj, that oil is technically OK but may cost you a mileage penalty due to weight. Prior to reformulation, this oil DID meet VAG 505.00. As with many of the re-formulated M1 products, some oils no longer carry the certifications we are accustomed to seeing. :(

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
BTW, Murray's Discount Auto does have the new M1 "turbodiesel truck" 5W40 oil aka Delvac 1.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
rjwkx60 said:
I am planning to change the oil and was going to use this Mobil 1 oil only in a 5w40...
Your picture of a Mobil 1 jug of 15w50 confused some folks.

Stick with the Mobil 1 5w40 (or Mobil Delvac 1 5w40) and your engine will be fine.

rjwkx60

TornadoRed said:
Your picture of a Mobil 1 jug of 15w50 confused some folks.

Stick with the Mobil 1 5w40 (or Mobil Delvac 1 5w40) and your engine will be fine.
I should have looked into it a little more that oil (extended Performance) is not offered in 5w40.

I have a a week or two before I change the oil and have found the Shell Rotella-T at a Tractor supply, I will continue to look for the 5w40 M1 turbodiesel truck this week.

Thanks for all the help!