here! 2006 Jetta Instrument - speedometer wiring diagram pinout navigation

john_tsouris@hotmail.com

Veteran Member
TDI
None now, thank god
This caused me many gray hairs and some cash to come by. I expect at least an e-mail thanks if not a paypal sent for a buck so I can buy a bud light, or ten or eleven.

The cluster pin out is listed below my boring reading.

The bad news here is that there is no more speedometer signal being sent to the instrument cluster. In fact, VW has put the vehicle immobilizer in the cluster, so the vehicle cannot be run even temporarily without it installed.

The 'speed' and 'tach' signals are now digital and on the CAN bus. Yuck.

As far as tapping into a speed signal for an on board nav, it appears that VW has also done away with the speed sensor on the MANUAL transmission for the 06 Jetta models. (The automatic tranny HAS a speed sensor!) (The 2005 Jetta w/manual trans, even with the new body style, appears to have this sensor) As far as the eBahn fellows say, the vehicle has no speed sensor listed for the 2006 manual t. I assume that the vehicle speed is taken from the ABS sensors in the front wheels. That would be a bad place to tap in for a nav system speed pulse signal. The benign speedometer signal would have been safer. Nice job (NOT) VW.

Now, a tranny mounted speed sensor may still be under there, and not listed in the book. I really doubt VW is taking speed readings from the wheels.

I personally don't like every little friggin thing run by the computer. It does not need to run the cigarette lighter. The VW tech told me that starting with 2007 models, you cannot even run the vehicle without the crappy factory radio in some models, or the comuter shuts the vehicle down. Nice job (NOT!!!!) VW.

Pin 12 carries the speedometer signal (on the CAN bus!). Pulling it stops the speedometer, and lights up a plethora of warning lights... and sets of the seat belt buzzer every minute forever. It also may cause a trouble code to be stored, requiring a dealer visit or that fancy scanner someone should let me borrow.

Anyway, here is the pin out for the 2006 Jetta cluster**:

** My vehicle had the power wire from socket #4 in socket#2 position.

1 Fuse SC6
4 Fuse SB6
5 From brake fluid warning switch
6 Parking brake warning light switch
7 To Ignition Key Antenna
8 From Ignition Key Antenna
12 Data bus can I
13 Data bus can H
15 Data bus
17 Fuel gauge
18 Fuel gauge
19 Ground
22 Left wheel brake pad wear switch
25 Oil pressure switch
28 Power sunroof control module
33 Ground- sensor
34 Washer fluid level
35 Engine coolant level
36 Outside air temp

-John

john_tsouris@hotmail.com

Veteran Member
TDI
None now, thank god
More info....

My vehicle does not have package 1 or 2, but the wiring diagram is the same for all models, apparently.

So you owners that paid the extra $4000 to see which door is open, it's the same harness in the dash that's listed above.

-J

Audiofyl

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 05 indigo blue
IF you want a VSS signal, you need the CAN adaptor from soundgate. I've used them on that model. And you can hook it up behind the cluster.

Last edited:

dieselgus

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Variant Black/Black
purple/white, from what I recall is a VSS pulse......

And yes, one can use either the CAN piece from PAC or Soundgate to achive not only a VSS pulse, but switched ignition, and also makes it possilble to add on the steering wheel controls as well.

Wheeeeeee!

Audiofyl

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 05 indigo blue
highly doubtful that goes directly to the cluster. Most likely to the ecu and some type of data signal to the cluster for illuminating the oil indicator.