Coolant Flush

Shamrockez

TDI
99 New Beetle, red
Hello, me again lol. I had the water pump replaced on my 99 New Bug TDi when the belt was changed at 60k. Anyway, the coolant (blue) light had been flashing for a while, so a couple of weeks ago, me and my bf changed it. Since then the flashing has been 'better' but not gone completely, and sometimes the blue light comes on and stays on after the normal 'warming up' time. Anyway, when I changed the sensor, I bought some G12 coolant to replace any which was lost. Subsequently, some was lost during the change, so I mixed the coolant up and added a little bit. Only to find that the G12 was pink, and the coolant already in there, was yellowish!

What make is the yellow coolant? Is this not right for my engine? And do I need to remove it and replace it with G12?

Thanks,

*Lucy*

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Ms. Lucy, the G12 coolant has such a remarkable service history that few are willing to experiment with other (lesser, inferior) products. I hope that makes sense.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lucy, it's best to flush - - these highly-evolved coolants don't like to be mixed with inferior products. Some poor folks have experienced severe sludging.

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
dieseldorf said:
Lucy, it's best to flush - - these highly-evolved coolants don't like to be mixed with inferior products. Some poor folks have experienced severed sludging.
And we know that has to be cut out.

TDIpurdue

Veteran Member
TDI
My first car: Jetta, '01, silver, automatic
additionally the owners manual is very clear not to mix G12 with anything else. The wording is quite strong and clear (something rather rare in the owners manual) just my $.02

Shamrockez

TDI
99 New Beetle, red
Ok, thanks guys :) Next question - how do I flush it out? And where do I drain it from? I don't suppose there's a 'how to' anywhere?

I'm trying to do as much stuff as I can to this car myself.... cos as this post illustrates, you can't trust other people to get it right ;)

*Lucy*

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lucy, have you or have you not already mixed the two coolants?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wished you had topped up with water and then determined what the main (??) dealer used when the TB work had been completed.

The coolant you describe, light yellow, is typical of the product used by other Euro mfrs today. We call it G-05 in the USA. If you hadn't blended, I would have suggested sticking with it. Since you have blended, I think you need to drain all and get back to just ONE type of coolant.

Hopefully someone else can help with the appropriate drain guidance.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Flush it REALLY throughly. There is a drain on the driver's side of the radiator... on the bottom. I believe you twist and pull to open it? I don't know for certian. But rince things like three times. Any ammount of other coolant can react with G12 and cause problems :eek:

-J

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Lucy, When you are working on your car, could you maybe get some pictures taken of you and the car?

Click here to find out why.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
L, you'll most likely need 4L of concentrate which you'll dilute 50%.

The VAG coolants will have instructions on the jug.

Shamrockez

TDI
99 New Beetle, red
I've read that you're supposed to use distilled water with coolant - is this true, or is this not needed with the G12?

Thanks Mr D - you're a real help! :D

*Lucy*

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Shamrockez said:
Thanks Mr D - you're a real help! :D

Lucy, the pleasure is mine. Please let us know how else me might be of resistance!

Also, do humour the lads with a few fotos of you and the car for their 2007 calendar. A lovely bird or two from across the pond would really be the icing on the cake!

Cheers.

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
To get back to the subject at hand…
Can anyone recommend or disparage the use of commonly available chemical flushes to insure the clearing of any sludge build up in the cooling system?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
What are you going to use to flush out the chemical flush?
I wouldn't want traces of that in my G12. If you've been using G12, or G11 on older cars, you shouldn't be having a sludge problem.

I've often wondered why these companies that make the antifreeze, and tell you how fine their products are at protecting your engine, also tell you to use a chemical flush in your system to get the crap out that their antifreeze put in there.:confused: Oh, yes...to flush out my wallet.

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
OK, thurough rinsing it is. :D
Makes sense when you put it that way. I'm going to G12 in the Passat and as I'm not 100% sure of the coolant history, I'm perhaps a little overly paranoid about a clean system to start with. I guess as long as distilled H2O and G11/G12 are used you shouldn't get any sludge or mineral buildup in the system anyway. Now for a warm place to do the deed.

Shamrockez

TDI
99 New Beetle, red
Ok, we flushed the system today and all went fine. Most of the coolant seemed to be an orangy colour, then you could see bits of G12 which hadn't mixed with it! :eek: So flushed it out until the water coming out ran clear, then filled up with G12 and distilled water, and took him for a test drive. We'll check the level again tomorrow and top up if necessary.

Thanks for all your help guys :) Another lesson to tick off on the list! :D

*Lucy*