Turbo Coking???

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hi,

I recently had a minor mishap at an autocross event. At first, I thought I had broken a fuel line after hitting a cone since the car stalled immediately. Instead, it turned out my new tires have so much grip that I actually managed to starve the engine of fuel in a fast, sharp turn. ANYWAY, my concern is the fact I had just driven the heck out of the car, raising EGTs to about 900-degrees, then suddenly shut off the car. I was unable to start the car for about 20-minutes (I looked for fuel delivery issues before figuring I had insufficient fuel in the tank since I had never had this problem before)

Do you think I have coked oil in the turbo? Is there something I should do to clean out the oil passages? I have a spare turbo and can afford to remove this turbo for a little while. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Scott

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Scott-
I'm assuming you are using a high quality synthetic, so it seems feasible that it could be OK. But, I have no experience with this personally.

You could try accessting the turbo and spinning it by hand, trying to detect any resistance. Seems to me that would be the indicator of oil coking on the shaft. You could compare this to the turbo you already have on hand.

Best of luck

20ValveT

Veteran Member
A buddie of mine who Solo's had the exact same thing happen to him, it turned out to be a small crack in one of the fuel lines, when the chasis would twist, the line would flex abit, and he'd pull in a nice gulp of air. Took him a while to track it down.