FS: 2004 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI in CT

tdi_tim

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
***SOLD***

Selling my beloved 2004 Jetta Wagon TDI. I am the original owner of the car. It’s a GLS model, reflex silver, black leather interior, sunroof, 5spd transmission, cold weather package (heated seats, mirrors, washer nozzles), and ESP electronic stability. The car currently has about 308k miles on it. I take good care of my cars, and I think it shows here – while certainly not perfect, it’s in overall very good condition. Interior still looks great, no tears, no smoking, no kids, no dogs. The car runs and drives great, and always gets consistent MPGs in the low 40s in mixed driving. The engine has never been modified or chipped.

The good:
The car currently doesn’t need anything. I performed all regular maintenance myself using the correct fluids and filters, it’s never been through a Jiffy Lube or anything like that in its life. All other maintenance and services were either done at the dealership or highly qualified local European car shop in the area. While the entire service history would be too lengthy to list, here’s an idea of some of the bigger and more recent items that have been addressed.

Big stuff:
- The heater core was professionally replaced a couple months ago. Luckily I noticed the odor, it was a small leak and coolant never got on the carpets or anywhere it could be noticed.
- The timing belt jumped a few teeth at approx 275k miles. I replaced the head, full valvetrain, full timing belt kit including water pump. Work was performed by TDI guru meganuke. The damage wasn’t severe at all, and I have all of the original parts if interested in seeing them. At this point I’ve put 30k miles on it since the repair with no issues.
- The turbo was replaced approx 235k miles by the dealer. The case split on the original one. I had them replace the intercooler at the same time just to ensure no debris could get to the engine.
- The transmission was replaced at approx 215k miles by the dealer. Factory
reconditioned replacement. The original one likely had a rivet or something dislodge and broke through the bell housing.
- The clutch and flywheel were replaced at approx. 140k miles

Recent stuff:
- Thermostat housing replaced 2019
- Tandem fuel pump and fuel rail replaced 2019
- Front pads and rotors replaced 2018
- Glow plugs and harness replaced 2018
- Motor mounts replaced 2018
- Rear shocks replaced 2018
- Front struts/springs/strut bearings replaced 2017
- Control arms/ball joints/bushings replaced 2015

Extras:
- P3 cars vent gauge
- Bilstein HD shocks/struts
- Eibach springs, lowers the car ~ 1.5”
- European headlights with fogs
- European Golf Ocean tail lights with working rear fog
- European headlight switch
- Frostheater engine heater
- Hardwired iPhone hookup to factory stereo
- W8 sunroof panel
- Like new OEM front end cover
- 2 sets of wheels, OEM 17” Long Beach wheels, OEM 15” alloy wheels w/ Michelin X-Ice snows

The not so good:
There are a few small rust bubbles in certain areas. The car had rust repair done under warranty 3 years ago. They replaced both front fenders, did work on the front rockers, around the roof rails, a small spot on the rear fender lip, and a small spot on the hatch window. Unfortunately, a couple of these spots have started to come back. I have some photos from before the car originally went in for repair if you’re interested. My feeling is that these areas could be cleaned up and painted with a rust inhibitor if you just wanted to stop it, I just haven’t had the time to address it.

The tires on the 17” wheels are not great and will need to be replaced this year (I may be able to help with this)

The drivers side door switch stopped working. It’s not a big deal, but does have some side effects, such as the light doesn’t come on when you open the door. You have to completely take apart the inside of the door to replace the switch, and it was never that important to me.

The headliner is just beginning to separate in between the front visors. It’s a small spot now, not sure if an interior shop could fix it.

I’m looking to get $4,500 for the car. Car is located in CT. Not interested in lowball offers so please don’t bother, and even though I’m no longer driving the car, I’m also not in a huge rush to sell it. I have just a few recent photos, but will work on getting more this weekend. Please feel free to contact me with questions.

Last edited:

tdi_tim

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Ok, one more for good measure - loaded up for her annual (sometimes bi-annual) trip to Maine in 2017. Racks not included, BTW. :)

tdi_tim

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Reasonable offers will be entertained. Also willing to sell without options like the extra wheels/tires or P3 gauge for a reduced price. Heading to Craigslist this weekend.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Nice looking car. Clearly you've taken good care of it. Having driven my '02 Wagon since new, I know how hard it is to part with one of these.

Good luck with the sale. Someone will grab it, I'm confident.

tdi_tim

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Nice looking car. Clearly you've taken good care of it. Having driven my '02 Wagon since new, I know how hard it is to part with one of these.
Good luck with the sale. Someone will grab it, I'm confident.
Many thanks! It was a really tough decision, but I’m back to having about a 25k mile/year commute and between a busy work schedule and 2 project cars its time to move on. If I had room in the driveway I’d probably just keep it, but I’m packed.

I actually drove it to work this morning after not driving it for a couple weeks - I forgot how nice it drives! Suspension feels better and quieter than my wife’s car with 160k on it! :D

Hopefully it goes to a good home.

tdi_tim

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Took the snows off this weekend and updated the photos.

Pricing wise, I’ll take offers of $4500 for the car + $200 if you want the snows.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Brave! I lived in western CT for 23+ years and never removed my snow tires/wheels until mid-April, as there always seems to be that day it snows in early spring. Doing the same here in northeast IL.

Great looking wagon; wish you all the best on the sale.