Replacing the antenna base

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
I'm about to replace the antenna base on a friends MkIV Jetta... What's the opinion of the masses on doing the job by a) removing grab handle & trim pieces and dropping the headliner, vs b) pulling the liner down just enough in the back centre and reaching through with my skinny little arm? I will have a 3rd (and 4th!) hand for help.

Thx.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
This is dooable, but ranks an 8 on the PITA scale. (A Gasser B5 passat air filter ranks a 9.5, TDI air filter is a 1) Getting the headliner back over the lip on top of the back glass is the biggest pain... I used a curved screwdriver to do it. The proper solution would be to drop the headliner. You also have to take the back seatbelt anchor things off.

It also helps to fold the seatback down and sit on those... you can lean back a few more inches, and it makes it that much easier.

-Jason

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
I just took out the rear headrests to get more head and shoulder room and loosened the headliner in the middle of the rear window. I set a cresent wrench to the proper size for the nut using the replacement antenna and then reached in to loosen the nut. The biggest fun I had was getting the nut started on the new antenna and getting the headliner back in place. I doubt additional hands will help, as there just isn't room for them.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Boy... you ain't kidding Jason - pain in the a** is right...

I opted to remove the trim pieces:
  • remove rear grab handles (two philips screws each, under plastic tabs)
  • remove seat bottoms (flip up and pinch mounting pins toward centre of seat)
  • remove head rests
  • remove seatbelt tethers (cover flips up; 17mm bolt w/washer and spacer)
  • remove rear parcel shelf (disconnect 3rd brake light, remove child safety tethers, pop up 3 clips along front of shelf and carefully pull forward)
  • remove side panel trim beside seat (unscrew plastic nut at bottom, pull out plastic retainer at top)
  • remove C-pillar trim (we had side air bags to deal with: pop out lower and middle clips, use small screw driver to lever metal clip off top pin, then pop off)
  • pull door gasket off from C-pillar to B-pillar
  • pull headliner off metal lip (just start in one corner - it comes off very easy... just to spite you...)
  • an extra set of hands is handy here - my friend pulled down the headliner enough that I could easily see and get a 22mm socket on the retaining nut for the antenna
  • unstick the cable, which goes off toward the pssgr side, from the sticky foam, and unplug it (pull the larger barrel against the spring, while pulling out the small (antenna) side of the plug)
  • remove antenna from outside
  • reassemble in reverse order

Some people have mentioned running the cable through the centre of the retaining nut... not recommended, IMO, as that will prevent you from using a socket to loosen/tighten the nut. There's a space for the wire to run through, and I see no advantage to running it through the centre of the nut.

Reinstalling the headliner is an absolute pain. There is absolutely no stretch or give to the headliner. I made myself a tool out of some pretty heavy gauge strapping material, about 3/4" wide, and put a curved hook on the end. This let me reach in and pull/pry enough to get the liner going on in one corner, and then work it across with the tool. It was a pain - no doubt about it. Removing the other bits in the headliner (front grab handles, sun visors, etc.) *might* give more play to make it easier.

For the top connector on the C-pillar, if you have side airbags, put the metal clip on about 1/3 of the way with the flat side facing out (but not far enough on to block the square hole). Push the panel onto the upper connector, then reach in with a small screwdriver to "push" the pin down and lock it in place. A flex-light was a useful tool in being able to see and figure out some of these things...

It was about 1.5 hours, start to finish.

And yes, it fixed the AM reception problem my friend was having. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

jaquemon

TDI
Passat
I just did this and I found something that makes it a 4/10 process. The little paint can keys they give you at the paint store to open the can. It has a little lip/hook on the end that you can stick under the headliner and pull it back super easy. I was ready to smash the Fu**ing headliner until I found that thing and I has the headliner back in place in about one minute. I will try to attatch a pic if I can.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
__. I have the same thing coming up on my '03 Wagon. But the rear hatch will open up to give me something of a straight shot at it and the antenna is only about 4" from the rear edge of the headliner. Should reduce the PITA factor a bit.

__. Any advice or words of experience greatly appreciated. Thx I A.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
From previous comments (in other posts), the wagon is very easy - nothing to worry about.

Jaquemon, that's a *GREAT* idea!! Well done!

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Wagons, Golfs, and NBs are easy. Jettas are a PITA.

I find that using the correct size stubby wrench works very well. Leave the wire unhooked until after the nut is tightened. No issue running the wire through the nut.

TDI
1.8T
Ah, bringing an old thread to life. Hopefully i didn't miss a newer one on this subject?

I went out and bought a used antenna base for $20 from a 'well known' new/used VW parts guy here in Toronto. I believe the base is off a 2006 model of some sort due to the "18/06" printed on the wire. (My older cable had "17/02" so i figured that was the date.)
Before i installed it, i silicone'd the cr*p out of the seam where the base meets the metal base of the unit, then silicone'd the inside gasket to make absolute sure no water will get in! This sucker is now waterproof! lol

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Why are you all replacing your antenna bases? cracked gaskets?

my 01 Passat base is not looking so good at the gasket. I was planning to just put black silicone caulk around it. Anything wrong with that?

rackaracka

Veteran Member
Typically, the base is replaced because it is the antenna amplifier. They corrode internally due to galvanic action. When you have No AM, and lousy FM, its the first item to replace when troubleshooting. The gasket failing typically doesn't result in leaking inside of the vehicle because there is also an o-ring around the mounting hub. If your radio reception is fine, a bit of caulk will be fine for the time being. Don't go thru the hassle of r&r until you have a failure. The Passat (I did a '99) isn't much fun unless your a contortionsit.

MKIInut

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon Spice Red
Where can you purchase the gasket that mounts between teh base and the roof surface? Dealership says they are a different size/shape on the newer cars opposed to the mid 80's-90's 16V aerials. Also they say the gasket is not available unless you purchase the entire base. TIA

TDI
1.8T
MKIInut said:
Where can you purchase the gasket that mounts between teh base and the roof surface? Dealership says they are a different size/shape on the newer cars opposed to the mid 80's-90's 16V aerials. Also they say the gasket is not available unless you purchase the entire base. TIA
I found this link off this forum somewhere when i was researching the antenna issue...
http://antennamastsrus.com/VW/VW%20Jetta%201999-2005.htm

Scroll down and you will see the gasket. Just search for your model year first.

auto

TDI
jetta
Just picked up a 03 tdi golf for my daughter.The antenna base is shot and I need a new one.Question-Is there a good after market antenna and can you cut and reattach the antenna cable to the new base?

TDI
1.8T
auto said:
Just picked up a 03 tdi golf for my daughter.The antenna base is shot and I need a new one.Question-Is there a good after market antenna and can you cut and reattach the antenna cable to the new base?
The cable that runs along the ceiling of your car to your radio shouldn't need to be cut. It can be disconnected where the antenna base pig-tail cable sits. That link posted above should have all you need for your golf. As you can see in some pics in this thread above, there is a tiny circuit board built into our base, so Im not sure if aftermarket antenna bases will work?

Personally, to avoid installation headaches and possible future failures, I suggest just sticking with OEM. Luckily for me I found a local guy here in Toronto that only deals with VW parts so i found a used antenna base for $20. (i made sure it was clean!). Or order from AntennaMastsRUS which appear to be oem also.

Before i installed my antenna base, i siliconed inside the gasket to the base to ensure a good waterproof seal.

Hope this helps.

auto

TDI
jetta
After droping the rear of the head liner I can see the antenna cable.It runs under a sheet metal guard.I can't see it perfectly clear,but I can see enough that I can't locate a pig tail connection.The cable it self looks to be a smaller diameter than whats pictured in the link.Any golf owners with a monsoon radio replaced their base ??

auto

TDI
jetta
I oredered a new base.The sales man says there is a connection about 6 inches up.I have to drop the sheet metal guard,with the screws buried out of veiw.FUN,FUN,FUN

TDI
1.8T
auto said:
I oredered a new base.The sales man says there is a connection about 6 inches up.I have to drop the sheet metal guard,with the screws buried out of veiw.FUN,FUN,FUN
Let us know how it goes. :)
As far as i've read, the mk4 jetta is the 'most' PITA diy for replacing the antenna base. So hopefully your golf will be easier for you. The hardest part for me was putting the headliner back in place after installation. I just fashioned a little hook tool to pull the liner back into place.
I dont recall a sheetmetal guard, but everything was easily removed with my ratchet. Just give yourself as much room as possible so that your not looking like some contortionist while doing this straight forward diy. :)

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That_Crayon_Smell said:
Let us know how it goes. :)
As far as i've read, the mk4 jetta is the 'most' PITA diy for replacing the antenna base. So hopefully your golf will be easier for you. The hardest part for me was putting the headliner back in place after installation. I just fashioned a little hook tool to pull the liner back into place.
I dont recall a sheetmetal guard, but everything was easily removed with my ratchet. Just give yourself as much room as possible so that your not looking like some contortionist while doing this straight forward diy. :)
__. Yeah, the Golf and Jetta wagon are easier with clearance with the tail gate open. Once you get past the idea that you have to do it again and again with VW's poor component quality, it's not a bad job. :mad:

Yreka

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Hmm, No AM and $hitty FM reception.. Sounds like I have a bad base too.. Any need to replace the mast at the same time ?

(assuming it isnt physically damaged)

auto

TDI
jetta
Put my new base in.Great reception,am&fm For right now I left out the sheet metal form.I guss it's purpose is to support the head liner if your bang an object against it.Oh those Germans.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
Is there anyone in northeastern Massachusetts or southern New Hampshire who can help me fix this on my Jetta wagon?

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mass. Wine Guy said:
Is there anyone in northeastern Massachusetts or southern New Hampshire who can help me fix this on my Jetta wagon?
__. WG, I put up a photo "howto" on this maybe 3 years ago. On the wagon, it really is very easy. If you don't think you're ready to tackle it, it should be easy to find someone who can. Good luck with it.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
Not sure if you are done with this or not but if I were going through the trouble to do this I would replace it with the Audi antenna that also has XM built into it. ;-)

balocco211

TDI
2005 Wolfsburg TDI JSW; 2010 Poblano TDI JSW

balocco211

TDI
2005 Wolfsburg TDI JSW; 2010 Poblano TDI JSW
Antenna base gasket replacement - easy

Just received gasket from www.antennamastsrus.com; polished wagon roof surface near antenna base, waxed around where gasket is to be installed, heated gasket in 185 degree oven for 10 minutes, installed thin side over base lip at rear of antenna base and stretched front of gasket into place, used small screw driver blade to seat gasket lip around antenna base.

This was a #*)( of a lot easier than removing headliner for an antenna base that is still in great working order.

Great recommendation on antennamastsrus. Prompt service, mail tracking, and of a good product. Product on par with OEM quality.

aespTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 GLS
Finally got around to changing the base out this evening in my 2005 Jetta. For some reason the head liner was already popped off the lip at the rear. I thought maybe its already been replaced before?

I was able to carefully slip in a block of wood and work in the limited space. It was a pain but I was able to unscrew the nut using a crescent wrench, stick my hand in there to pull on the wring and unplug the base, then remove it from topside. I had my wife hold the new base up on top while I fumbled with the nut for some time until it caught the threads. Then I tightened down with wrench.

Hopefully that will cure my AM troubles.