timing belt woes and other misc fun.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Just finished putting the head back on after having to take the head to a machine shop to get a broken glowplug out. That went pretty good. So,on to the timing belt replacement. When installing the tensioner something wasn't right. Determined that the rear timing cover was broken where the tensioner arm goes in the square hole. So, now there is no way to hold the tensioner arm so that once the belt is on the tension can be adjusted.

Question one: is there a part that goes into the hole behind the cover or is it only the square hole in the cover that holds the tensioner arm?

Question two: if I have to replace the rear timing cover is it okay to remove the injection sprocket and not lose the pump timing? Its locked right now.

I can get pics if needed.

Thanks in advance for any input.
dweisel

Last edited:

Jesse_Boyer

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm all out...
question one:
The alignment slot is built into the cover, not into the head behind the cover. You're correct.

question two:
You can remove the sprocket from the pump without a problem, just don't losen the big 22mm nut. If your pump lock is too long to remove the sprocket you can always remove it entirely and reinsert later. The pump will only move 20-30° (estimated) and then you'll have to move it back. It'll be very clear once you remove the sprocket.

I have one of those covers at home if you need one. PM me if you do.

Last edited:

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Jesse,thanks for the info and offer of the tb cover.A day late on the cover. LOL Ordered one on eBay last night. Also removed the injector pump sprocket last night. This morning I removed the 3 injector pump mount bolts that hold the rear tb cover in place,but the cover still wouldn't come off. I ended up having to remove the water pump to free up the tb cover before it would come off.

Thanks again,
dweisel