Smyth rwd conversion

E-Z Wood

Veteran Member
I remember reading somewhere about a myth performance making a rwd kit to put the engine where the back seat is via a rear subframe. Anyone do this, or thinking about doing this?

Deebeaux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf GLS
You're probably referring to the Smyth Performance G3F. It's not so much a "rwd kit" as it is a "kit car." You build a G3F using a Jetta donor car in the same fashion you build a Factory Five Cobra/GTM using a Mustang/Corvette donor car.

I wish I had a better link than a Facebook page for them, but here's the details: https://www.facebook.com/SmythPerformance

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
Here is the full forum post about the G3F project.
http://www.ffcars.com/forums/139-smyth-performance-g3f/220382-time-talk-mark-smith.html
Bottom line, the Alpha car has been driven and is now apart getting production parts installed. There are 2 Beta cars being built by costumers that are waiting for parts to continue.
Readers Digest version: You start with a MKIV Jetta or Golf 4dr, cut it up, attach some frames, move engine to rear, attach body.. go drive.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah...but why?
It will be lighter, quicker, better handling, more fun to drive, better fuel economy than the original Jetta/Golf. The thought is to take a car that is at the end of it's life, maybe has a bit of rust or has been banged up a bit and "recycle" it to something newer/better.

E-Z Wood

Veteran Member
I am not referring to the g3f. I think I read about using a new subframe in the rear and keep the original size and shape but moving the motor and transaxle to about where the vertical part of the rear seat is, making a mid engine rwd golf or jetta.

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
:eek: AWESOME CAR that G3F! very impressive.
I like the idea of 'just' swapping the engine to rear in the original body
Handling improvements must be HUGE for sure. I'm so envious!:p:)

Last edited:

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
I am not referring to the g3f. I think I read about using a new subframe in the rear and keep the original size and shape but moving the motor and transaxle to about where the vertical part of the rear seat is, making a mid engine rwd golf or jetta.
The only Smyth car available is the G3F, it does have a new sub-frame to put the engine in the rear. Smyth is also considering making a MKIV truck, but the engine stays in the front on that. Those are the only two vehicles that Smyth is making, or considering making, at the present time.