Window clip?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta tdi
Yesterday my ol lady's driver window fell into the door. Window motor still fully works. We noticed the white clips inside on the track are broke. Does anyone know what these are called or have a part number? It's an 01 golf

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
the mk4 and mk3 both have a very similare issue. Not sure why seeing as over a million mk3s were issued service for this more than once when it was first sold.
Anyways, take it apart, pull all the plastic crap out of the part that broke (on the window seat that rides the cable) and bend the metal fingers down so it holds the ball on the cable better, put a nail or something behind the plate and hold the cable down against the nail and the plate. done and done.
there are some old threads here about thisback in the day and one lady took here mk3 back 7 times in a row to fix this issue but sadly the same parts were used in the mk4, well almost the same, still same issue, kinda.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
There is an upgraded metal clip, Call one of the vendors don’t know what you’re talking about

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Autospell, “they will know what you are talking about “

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I've heard the repair parts are scarce, so ebay is a good place because they have so many sources.
In 2004 I walked in to a dealer to buy a regulator (it's the whole assembly with the clips,cable,etc.) for my 99.5, they said "that part is no longer available, we sell a repair kit". The kit included an updated regulator for the driver's side and repair bits for the passenger side. Some time after they issued a TSB or recall to fix the things. I sent them my receipt, they refunded my money.
15 years later, don't believe you can get those kits, at least not from VW. Oilhammer has made a couple posts about possible sources for repairs.
Your problem is when they fail, they often take the cables and other parts out. You may be fortunate you can fix it with just some new clips, which will be hard to find.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
im telling you, a nail and a ziptie, 200K and no issues what so ever. save your money on yet another POS design from VW that you should NOT have to shell out $$$ for. even if it is $7 bucks lol
while you have the door cards out, put some auto insulation in there where you can, that will make a HUGE improvement on sound quality on the speakers and just in road noise.
DO IT

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mongler98 I did what you recommend. It worked perfectly. Thanks again for the tip!
Fantastic!
took me 3rd try to figure out that removing ALL the plastic and bending the metal works the best.
your problem is solves for the life of your door until it rusts or some crackhead breaks your windows to steel your stuff!
been there too!