Oil all over inside of wheel/spindle

jovol

TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon BEW 5sp, '13 JSW 6sp
Hey all, I just finished up replacing springs/shocks/control arm bushings/tie rods/ball joints and steering rack on my '04 jetta wagon. I took it for a test drive, and after parking it and giving things a once-over, I noticed black oil/grease (not sure) all over the inside of the wheel, spindle, etc. I'm guessing this could come from a torn axle boot?? I'm not sure, there doesn't appear an obvious tear. Any ideas how this could have happened?

:confused:

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
I suspect a torn cv joint boot.
I would jack up the car again, and with you down below ( or remove the wheel) have a helper turn the steering wheel to full stop. Visually inspect the boot and use your hands to find any small vertical cuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jovol

TDI
im a ****ing idiot. forgot to reinstall the bracket for the brake disc sensor, so the slack on that cable probably let it slap against the boot. :(

jovol

TDI
Does anyone have experience with the split or "quick" boot cv kits that are available so I don't have to remove the axle from the car? Wondering if the adhesive will be long lasting

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
I've tried a few things and I didn't have very good luck, but I also had bad luck with reinz boots too...did all 4 and one tore in the first few days...I miss having a 2 post lift, it makes things like this seem far easier if for nothing else, you're not exhausted by the time you get your car up high enough to work on it

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If the boot is ripped the only real fix is axle removal and a new quality boot. Don’t cheap out or you’ll be doing it again in a short time.

It could be worse, I put a new clutch in several years ago and then had to completely remove the transmission again because I didn’t replace the pivot pin and clip. Less than $20 at the time.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I recently have had to do a few CV joints. From my research on the matter (one was in the middle of a harsh winter) the split boots may or may not work very well...

Not exactly a ringing endorsement. So I replaced them all with real boots.

jovol

TDI
I've seen on the jetta's that had axle bolts (instead of ours with nuts) that you can press the cv joint off with it still on the car. I'm guessing there isn't really a technique for doing that on ours? It's not that I'm against doing this properly, I'm just fed up with replacing all these damn single use bolts on the car, such as the triple square axle flange bolts I would have to be replacing.

I think I'll give the split boot a shot today. Worst outcome it I'm out $20 and I have to do it again, but at least I'd know for the future whether it's a viable solution or not.