fuel cap flap stuck

ago

TDI
2006 Jetta
All packed up, ready to leave on a trip in the morning (Sunday) and the fuel cap flap won't open on my 2006 Jetta. And no mechanics 'til Monday! Should I try to force it open? And then?

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
ago said:
All packed up, ready to leave on a trip in the morning (Sunday) and the fuel cap flap won't open on my 2006 Jetta. And no mechanics 'til Monday! Should I try to force it open? And then?
Is it frozen perhaps? Try some lock de-icer, or even WWAF.

ago

TDI
2006 Jetta
I would be surprised if it was frozen, it's been above 0C for days. But I go and try now.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
ago said:
Which way are you heading? If its east along the 401, I might be able to help you out. I am just 2 min off the 401 in Whitby. Just make sure the trunk is not TOO well packed, I will need access through the trunk to get to the mechanism that opens the door.

BTW, sorry if this is an obvious question, but the fuel door release switch in the drivers door isn't locked by chance is it?

ago

TDI
2006 Jetta
No, the de-icer didn't do anything, and I broke a credit card trying to open it (old credit card). Why do they have to complicate things? Let them steal my precious diesel!

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Do you hear the actuator moving when you pull the switch? If not, its either a wire conection problem or the switch is locked in the drivers door (I assume the 2006 models have lockable fuel & trunk release switches like the MKIV's?).

If you can hear the actuator moving, then its likely the mechanism thats broken. I have fixed a broken one before.

Last edited:

ago

TDI
2006 Jetta
It is very kind of you, Wingnut, to offer your help. Thank you so much. We are heading to Quebec, so yes, Whitby is on the way. And there is enough fuel still to take us there. The trunk is already full, but it would be easy enough to take some stuff out.
If you really don't mind helping us out on a Sunday morning, please e-mail me how to get to you, with your phone number to adolnik@sympatico.ca.
Unfortunately the switch is not locked. I wish.

ago

TDI
2006 Jetta
No, I don't hear anything at all when pulling the switch. And it is unlocked, I double checked.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
ago said:
No, I don't hear anything at all when pulling the switch. And it is unlocked, I double checked.
It could be a bad connection in the door. Or even a blown fuse?

Funny enough, I am leaving for Quebec in the morning too. Departure time will be around 9am. Can you be here before then? Even if I can't fix the problem, I can at least try to get the door open from the inside without breaking anything so you can fuel up for the trip.

My address is 22 Hanlan Crt. Whitby
416-209-5455.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I did some searching on the vortex. If you have an Auto, it has to be in PARK to be able to open the fuel door. Maybe you just need to wiggle the shifter a bit? If oyu have a 5 speed, then I'll keep looking.........

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
One more thing. Before heading out here, if you feel mechanically inclined, open the trunk and peel back the carpet near the fuel door. You should be able to release it yourself by hand. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, give me a call in the morning.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
So, how did it turn out? I was checking the side of the highway for a TDI that was out of fuel, but I never saw one :D.

BTW, how was the skiing? Lots, and i mean LOTS of fresh powder up there. I sure had to shovel a lot of it. Where did you ski, Orford or Bromont? Did you hit the Ranch Du Spagetti for any meals? Thats an awesome place to eat near Mt. Orford.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed your trip.

ago

TDI
2006 Jetta
Thanks for asking, skiing was great. We were lucky with the weather, it would not have been the same this week. Nice snow, nice and cold. We skied at Owl's Head and at Orford. I don't know the Spaghetti house, but I'll make a note for next time. I hope you had a nice time as well.

The fuel door saga continues however, currently I am waiting for a replacement switch, at least that is the problem, or so thinks the mechanic at the dealership (still under warranty, very much so, the beast has less than 6000kms in her). We managed to fuel up on Sunday, because for no reason the flap decided to open up. And it opened again the next two times. Then on the way home in Gananogue it got stubborn again and at that time we did have to go through the trunk and from behind the carpet as you suggested. Since then it played with me a few times. Right now it won't close.
I just wonder who was the smart guy who came up with this design.

Again, thanks for your concern and your kindness, Wingnut. I sure thought of you passing by Whitby.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
ago said:
Right now it won't close.
I just wonder who was the smart guy who came up with this design.
There is a recall for that problem (not closing). Basically, the latch gets stuck in the open position, so won't catch on the door. They remove the mechanism and modify it in some way (add a spring or something???) and put it back together. I found that out while researching your car on the Vortex. As for the not opening problem, if its intermittent, it sounds like an electrical issue. I hope a new switch fixes it for you. Its a PITA to have to reach behind the carpet each time you need to open the door. But at least you won't get stranded.

BTW, Le Ranch du Spaghetti is off highway 10 at exit 115. You can see it from the highway. They have a big grill by the front door with a buffet style bread & butter arrangement. You grab whatever type of bread you want and spread on one of 5 or 6 different flavors of butter and grill your own bread. I thought it was pretty neat.

The bottom pic is of the grill and on the right is the prep area where you spread your bread:

Last edited:

Griz419

TDI
2000 Jetta 5 spd
This just happened to me, at the pump. Drove home read a few posts on this great sight and viola, open.

Mine did not make any sound when pulling the switch. I held open the switch to try and open the fuel door while I turned my key in the valet slot to the locked and unlock position. It has worked the past few times I've tried since without the key, probably a bad sensor in the switch or something.