Mercedes E250 Bluetec

What interests you about this thread?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Test drove that 2011 335D with 50K miles... I felt meh about it. Power felt good and I'm sure with a tune it would be a monster... but the interior is boring.

I found a place in Canada that will tune the E250... I'm definitely not looking to keep my emission stuff on the car, I know ssamalins brain just blew up from reading this :)

I do love the E250's interior.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Part of what I like about the car is the "boring" interior. Mine doesn't have NAV, so the instruments are minimal. And I can turn off the fuel economy readout, which I particularly like. I find that constant feedback annoying. So I guess it depends on what you find appealing.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Test drove that 2011 335D with 50K miles... I felt meh about it. Power felt good and I'm sure with a tune it would be a monster... but the interior is boring.

I found a place in Canada that will tune the E250... I'm definitely not looking to keep my emission stuff on the car, I know ssamalins brain just blew up from reading this :)

I do love the E250's interior.
I hope you feel guilty with my brain splattered on your sports coat. Please let us know about how the E250 tune goes and what you think of the car. Good choice, you're going to be happy with it. I have the beige seats, dark brown dash and wheel with the black ash trim, beautiful. The chrome, the lines, yea, interior is A+.

Last edited:

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
I haven't driven one, but if I wanted to go fast I'd get a different car. Frankly, I wouldn't get a diesel. The low end torque is intoxicating, for sure, but there are better ways to go fast.
IDK man, bang for the buck I think the 335D is a solid value to go fast. I'm pushing 390 hp and 600 ft/lb. If you know how to wrench on the car, those numbers are achievable with about $2,000-$2,500 in mods, including the cost of the tune and run the 1/4mi in the 12's all day and still get 36+mpg hwy. There are others with hybrid turbos pushing 500hp plus running 11's. Not bad for a car that that can be bought in the low teens.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
OM654 The New Mercedes Diesel

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/mercedes-benz/vehicles/the-new-om-654-four-cylinder-diesel-engine/

Article says this engine will go first to the 2018 E220D, then is configurable to the entire MB universe of cars and trucks. I have been discussing for a year that MB is heavily investing in a new clean diesel and here it is. I feel confident MB will soon announce it is coming to NA. Now, do I trade in for it? I don't need it since my 2015 is 100%, I'd just be getting that 9 speed auto and more radar safety options. This may be the one time in my life I don't pee away my cash.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
The E220d has an optional spare. I am wondering where the DEF is since the spare compartment was empty. The rationale for no spare in my E250 was the DEF was in the compartment. My comment on the E220d is Cookie Monster, me want. Will somebody talk me out of this? New car smell, probably toxic anyway. My dealer wants me to go to Germany to special order exactly what I want, pick it up at the factory and drive it across Europe to a French port for shipment back home. I'd do that when I can ski the Alps too. Of course MB has to switch that steering wheel on the wrong side first.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok. I meant I'm waiting for MB to announce they're coming back to the US with the E220d. What do you think of the car?

*zepman

TDI
Former 2012 Passat TDI SEL Current: 2014 e250 Bluetec
sign me up for that e220d - i'd love to do the European delivery program

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
I love the interior.... but man.. I'm really getting annoyed with their styling.... the C, E and S class are all starting to look exactly the same except for difference in size.

C Class

E Class

S Class

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
If you look back you'll see that Mercedes models have always looked alike. Go back to the late 80s and the W201 190, W124 E-Class, and the W126 S-Class. They look remarkably alike. Better than todays M-Bs, too, IMO.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
I've always like the way the E-class has looked. No exception with this generation. Elegant looking car for sure...

bobdfsh

Sorry I have been traveling a lot. We love our E250 bluetec. We have had two issues with it. Once his spring and last month the check engine light came on. I drove to a dealer and they fixed it. They said it was an emissions sensor or something. While waiting at the first dealer, one of their mechanics overheard my conversation with a parts person about a trailer hitch. Later the mechanic came to the waiting room to tell me that at the moment he had both a E350 and my E250 on racks. He said he looked both over carefully and he is very confident that a trailer hitch for an E350 will fit the E250. I plan to order the Curt C11001 model and will have to wait to have it installed in November when I return to the area. I will keep everyone posted.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry I have been traveling a lot. We love our E250 bluetec. We have had two issues with it. Once his spring and last month the check engine light came on. I drove to a dealer and they fixed it. They said it was an emissions sensor or something. While waiting at the first dealer, one of their mechanics overheard my conversation with a parts person about a trailer hitch. Later the mechanic came to the waiting room to tell me that at the moment he had both a E350 and my E250 on racks. He said he looked both over carefully and he is very confident that a trailer hitch for an E350 will fit the E250. I plan to order the Curt C11001 model and will have to wait to have it installed in November when I return to the area. I will keep everyone posted.
Glad you are enjoying your car. I have the hitch harness that was discussed previously here and will be trying to fit it on this September since I am taking a lot of time off. I know an Autologic Mercedes shop in LA who will try it. IndigoBlueWagon has some of the hitches that were discussed here, so if the harness seems to work I'm going to order the hitch from him next. I think it would be good if one of us at a time was the guinea pig, so if you do go first I'll be following you, but I should have some news as well next month. Were the CELs costly to fix? How many miles did you have when the CELs happened? Were you at the dealer long? I have about 30k. No CELs or other issues yet except a few minor ones I mostly fixed during my service times. I'd have to study everything I posted here to remember them. I have 30k flawless miles in city stop and go and on the freeways, my combined went up to 33 mpg from 32 I had at first. I feel like Kojack speeding around the streets.
;

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Last edited:

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
Ah, a Nissan pickup with a tri-star badge. What is the deal with companies and rebranding things? Do they really think the public is that stupid, or are they just that lazy?

I said to myself "self, that doesn't look like any Nissan truck I've seen!" But upon further internetting:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Ah, a Nissan pickup with a tri-star badge. What is the deal with companies and rebranding things? Do they really think the public is that stupid, or are they just that lazy?
It has your choice of 3 diesel engines: two brand new Mercedes fours, or a six. I think that when the false charges of cheating last July are past, those engines will come here. The EPA has already cleared the E250BT engine of defeater type cheating.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I was wondering about the Nissan connection and then remembered the Infiniti QX30, which is a Mercedes GLA in a Nissan body. With a Mercedes engine, in that case. It's all about amortizing development costs.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...el-vehicles-offered-in-u-s-guess-who-has-most

"With low fuel prices persisting in the U.S. and sophisticated exhaust-emission after treatment systems boosting the cost of a diesel luxury vehicle by four figures, Mercedes has removed diesels from its lineup."

Bull. Last chance for Mercedes to triumphantly announce they are bringing their new diesel engine for 2018s at the LA Car Show this December 1-10. Mercedes, why let BMW and Jaguar eat your lunch? Dieselgate is history. VW is back here. You were acquitted. Time to party.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Just learned over the weekend no more 4 cyl Sprinters here. Man, I want to cover mine in bubble wrap now. :(

oilhammer

TDI
Right now, the only choices on MB USA's website is V6 and V6 + 4WD.

Really a shame, because the 4 cyl I think does an excellent job for most Sprinter needs as a light delivery or vocational vehicle. The tow rating is the same, the cargo capacity is actually more, it has a better transmission, costs less to purchase, uses less fuel, and looks to be a LOT easier to service should the need arise.

It is a fantastic base engine for the model, I think.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I would look for it (4 cyl) to perhaps come back after they move production and update the sprinters in a couple years.

(or perhaps not....)

oilhammer

TDI
Really makes me wonder why they nixed it here. Was it because it could not jump through the "enhanced" emissions regulatory loops? Or was it due to poor sales?

It would sure seem that Sprinter availability is hampering their sales more than anything. Like they either just cannot build them fast enough, or just do not care to make this market a priority for them.

The Argentine plant (where mine was built) was tasked with helping meet demand I was told, as the Dusseldorf plant just could not keep up. But shoot, they build them in a half dozen or so other plants too.

Could also be that MB USA has done such a good job over these last few decades.... half century really.... of making sure that the American consumer is brainwashed into thinking that the brand is "premium only", which may be a hindrance to sales of commercial vehicles. Even though they are the largest truck and bus manufacturer in the world, all those are sold under their Freightliner or Thomas names, respectively.

And of course the diesel passenger cars and SUVs are gone now. I thought MB would fight harder than VAG did. Looks like they too may have just laid over and said 'uncle'. :(