Gas Mileage

bsilver18

TDI
1999 Beetle
Hey everyone,
I'm a proud new owner of a 1999 Black Beetle TDI, 5 speed. I was wondering for all you beetle owners out there, what kind of mileage are you getting around the city and on the road? Thanks

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
Bsilver18, you may want to refer to it as diesel fuel, or fuel, just better to get in to the habit.

I have a 06 jetta tdi 5spd, Almost all city so far still breaking it in and I have Avg. 34 Mpg so far.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Also, there is a fuel economy section of TDI Club.

A Beetle with the ALH TDI engine, like yours, should get around 45 MPG on the highway. There are people getting 60+ MPG in them, though. For the most part, it depends on how and where you drive.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
I get about 36 in the city (I drive very fast...) and about 52 on the highway.

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
SBAtdijetta said:
Bsilver18, you may want to refer to it as diesel fuel, or fuel, just better to get in to the habit.

I have a 06 jetta tdi 5spd, Almost all city so far still breaking it in and I have Avg. 34 Mpg so far.
Gas is gas. Call it the gas pedal. Gas, gas, gas, gas.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Gothmolly said:
Gas is gas. Call it the gas pedal. Gas, gas, gas, gas.
TDIs do not run on gas, gasoline, or anything like it. It fact the fuel is a liquid, called diesel. :eek:

The accelerator pedel does not increase the amount of gas , it increases the amount of diesel fuel injected. :p

Gas pedal...not in an sense of the word :D

It can be called: acclerator pedal, fuel pedal, diesel pedal, go-pedal, fuel request pedal....

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
So in your house, they're "sterile adhesive bandages", not band-aids, you use "facial tissue" and not kleenex, and eat fruit flavored gelatin dessert, not "jello" ?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Gothmolly said:
So in your house, they're "sterile adhesive bandages", not band-aids, you use "facial tissue" and not kleenex, and eat fruit flavored gelatin dessert, not "jello" ?
band-aid, kleenex, and jello are name brands.

Gasoline is not a name brand. Gasoline is a specific type of fuel that cannot be used in my TDI.

:D

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Gothmolly said:
Jello, Band-aids and Kleenex are brand names that have come to represent any of the same type of item. Gas is not a brand name but a specific item.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Bob_Fout said:
TDIs do not run on gas, gasoline, or anything like it. It fact the fuel is a liquid, called diesel. :eek:

The accelerator pedel does not increase the amount of gas , it increases the amount of diesel fuel injected. :p

Gas pedal...not in an sense of the word :D

It can be called: acclerator pedal, fuel pedal, diesel pedal, go-pedal, fuel request pedal....
GAS mileage in a TDI technically should be "infinite" at all times since a TDI uses ZERO gasoline. :D

Welcome to TDIclub. :cool:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
n1das said:
GAS mileage in a TDI technically should be "infinite" at all times since a TDI uses ZERO gasoline. :D
Oh no..it'll run on some gasonline mixed with diesel :D

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Also, "diesel mileage" can be a misnomer since it can be infinite if running biodiesel.

Or used transmission oil...

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
whitedog said:
Also, "diesel mileage" can be a misnomer since it can be infinite if running biodiesel.

Or used transmission oil...
That's why we say "fuel mileage". For those folks using BioD, or JetA, or tranny fluid, or waste oil.