Acceleration Lag

TDIAtlanta

TDI
2014 Touareg
I have a 2014 VW Touareg TDI and I love the car but there is a significant lag in acceleration. As I push down on the accelerator it lags until I release and then press again and it takes off. Anyone else experience this "problem"

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
A reflash will wake it up! Lots of heavy beast to get moving, the engine needs to get up on boost a little to get through the slushbox to get it going.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Seems to be a common complaint among many owners after the "fix".

It likely has to do with more aggressive EGR duty cycles with the software update. Boost will ramp up much more effectively once at least the high pressure EGR is told to close. It's also possible the valve isn't closing as effectively as it should or the MAF readings aren't 100%.

Could always unplug the high pressure EGR valve and go for a spin, see how much difference it makes in response.

Or, you know, a tune does fix that... though it also may void the generous extended warranty you get thanks to the court settlement.

TDIAtlanta

TDI
2014 Touareg
Thanks for the reply's. However I'm sorry "oilhammer" but I'm only a shade tree mechanic and don't know what a reflash would entail.

Matt-98HU - I will research where the high pressure EGR valve is and check that out.
What do you mean by a 'tune", id hate to void any warranty since I only have 54,000 on the car and plan on driving it for a long time. But would like to educate myself on any possible fixes.

Timujin

Veteran Member
TDI
14 T-Reg
Try this

Try the throttle reset procedure... as the system is adaptive and sometimes needs a good old microsoft reboot. 1: Car off.... key in the ignition 2: Car on.... engine NOT running 3: Press gas pedal all the way to the floor.... hold for 10 to 15-seconds. 4: Take foot off gas pedal 5: Turn off car --- take key out of ignition 6: Open driver's door Close the door... start the T... take it for a drive... see how it works.

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
Try this

Try the throttle reset procedure... as the system is adaptive and sometimes needs a good old microsoft reboot. 1: Car off.... key in the ignition 2: Car on.... engine NOT running 3: Press gas pedal all the way to the floor.... hold for 10 to 15-seconds. 4: Take foot off gas pedal 5: Turn off car --- take key out of ignition 6: Open driver's door Close the door... start the T... take it for a drive... see how it works.
Or if it is a "dirty" TPS (throttle position sensor), with the ignition OFF, fully depress and release accelerator pedal rapidly 15-20 times. I've done this on a few vehicles with TPS, and it actually helped.

ralekato

TDI
2013 Jetta
Will try throttle reset procedure

Try this

I can't even let my wife or anyone else drive my 2013 TDI since when I pull out into traffic and it will just lag and not move. I have to push and release the pedal and then accelerate real quickly. I will try your throttle reset procedure and let you know if it helps me. Thanks, Tom

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Not sure what you mean.... test drives are more fun! ;)

I have no problem "working" on them so long as any changes don't make my job harder or impossible.

MO Treg

TDI
2014 Touareg
Thanks for the reply's. However I'm sorry "oilhammer" but I'm only a shade tree mechanic and don't know what a reflash would entail.

Matt-98HU - I will research where the high pressure EGR valve is and check that out.
What do you mean by a 'tune", id hate to void any warranty since I only have 54,000 on the car and plan on driving it for a long time. But would like to educate myself on any possible fixes.

You might check out https://www.kermatdi.com/.

I put their tune on recently, so I dont have a long term review, but in the short time I've had it, its safe to say there is no turbo lag.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
If it is running right it takes off like a scalded cat when you hit it. Both my 2012 and 2016 acted the same. For a heavy truck it takes off. Oil hammer has the program reflash the system(dealer should be able to help if they are any good.)

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Dang, over 2 months and the OP has not tried the throttle reset procedure, or whatever it's called, to report back.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I have been hearing that some Touareg V6 TDI owners have been receiving letters from VW in recent weeks with a software update that has come out to specifically address the hesitation issue.

So, at this point, it's something you could have done for free at the dealer to hopefully resolve the issue once and for all.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
That letter is suppose to help a number of faulty warnings from coming on and the cold start shuttering. Since I have no issues I will not be bringing my 2016 in . Don't fix something that ain't broke .

I am curious if the lag people are having is on a fully warmed up car.

QZone

TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Highline
I was having this acceleration lag issue on my 2013. It was inconsistent; sometimes it was fine and sometimes I'd pull out into traffic and - nothing. I'd give it more and more throttle (well, a diesel doesn't really have a throttle but you get my drift) and suddenly WHAM! lots of acceleration. It still has CPO warranty on it so I took it in a couple weeks ago to have them look at the acceleration issue. They couldn't find any specific problem but they applied the latest recall reflash. So far no sign of lag and throttle response is an order of magnitude better, it feels like a completely different vehicle. Now I'm chirping the tires sometimes when I pull out into traffic, so that's another issue - I'll be wearing out my snows prematurely if I don't develop a lighter foot!.