2012 TDI won't start after battery change

mstanfield

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I'm in a bad place with my 2012 TDI 147,000 miles. Getting ready to turn the car into VW. Went to start car after sitting for several weeks and it would not crank. Tried to trickle charge (1 amp maintainer for a couple days)...would not take charge....

There is no way I'm putting a new battery to simply turn in the vehicle, so I took a good battery from the jeep and replaced. Now car cranks but no start. VCDS now has a bunch of codes (several are "status malfunction 0010) that weren't there before.

I've read about touching the leads together and saw the voodoo sequence which I haven't tried. Turn on the key and the engine fans run all the time

Can I reset thru VCDS, try the voodoo procedure, or tow the )&*% thing to VW and spend sunk money

I'd appreciate any insight

Thanks!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yeah, I'd try charging that battery up and touching the disconnected leads together.

Last edited:

mstanfield

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Guys

I cancelled my appointment....car sits in the driveway; pretty frustrating

Here is what I've found:
I'm not getting fuel; can't hear lift pump running. I checked OHM on outside pump connector pins, reads 3.3; I "think" this is ok.

I'm not getting power to the harness that connects to pump. For the life of me I can't find a fuse box description that shows the photo and description together; plenty of google pics, but none together??

I did the computer reset...touched the battery leads; can't see any change

Can you give me some advice?

Thanks!

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
If you're still using the Jeep battery you may not be getting the juice your TDI requires.

Can you boost the car with the old battery and drive it there without shutting off the ignition? Once it's at the dealership... it's their problem haha

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
the fans running all the time with key on is a clue I think, you may have a bad ground, happened in a civic I had, lousy engine ground caused all sorts of gremlins. also double check your battery polarity, the posts may not be in the same orientation on your jeep battery vs your vw battery, if it was hooked up backwards you likely smoked some fuses.

Good Luck!

ricks

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Jetta Sportwagen
A battery is not universal. You will need the correct cranking amps and the correct constant voltage. Check the specs of your old battery and compare. If not really close you will need to shell out some coin.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
check wiring, pests could have found their way in causing havoc. I don't like the fact you let it sit for several weeks, this is the time of year pest get all "nesty".

A jump pack with an undersized/marginally powered battery will get it running if everything is working.

Heck I was able to pop the clutch start when my battery finally gave up and hardly ran dash lights and I was late for a flight, guess it pays to live on a hill with a 150 ft driveway, I had one shot and I made it.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
You need to see what your voltage is when you are cranking. If it drops off too much your keep battery may not have enough CCA. Give us the stats on the battery.

If you want to spend $100 that you get to take back after, buy one of these 1000 peak amp (doubt it's that high) jump packs that also does a good job of charging your phone, laptops and more. Get it running and dump them with the bad battery.

Miuko 1000A Peak 18000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter (up to 6.5L Gas, 5.2L Diesel Engine) Power Bank and Phone Charger with Smart Protection Clamps https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0721B3DR5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_HDS5zbW60FTWS

I can use this specific jumper with zero battery attached to the Jetta and it can turn it over.

I've tried a couple of these different units and name brand ones . The weaker ones it there couldn't even crank over my diesels. This has been THE BEST.