HOW TO change the lower control arm bushing

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE, 1999 NB, 1999.5 Jetta GLS, 2004 Jetta
I replaced my LCA in the front. Do you know what else is replaceable in the front end of a Jetta, 1999.5 besides the ball joints? I do not have any idea and have a front end person who will not align it until I replace the 'tie rods'. :mad:

Any help appreciated!

tuscTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Indigo Golf GLS, 1997 E300
I'm right in the middle of this job and... one thing I might add is make sure you buy new control arm to ball joint bolts and nutplates. Mine were completely buggered and NOBODY has them in stock locally. Well, one place but it's around 25 miles away and I've got no time to go there. The 13mm and 18mm flanged bolts are one time use only and the 13mm are pretty subject to damage, either by a previous bushing replacement or even alignment(s). Play it safe and buy the bolts and nutplates. Kind of a DOH! thing but thought I'd bring it up to save some potential grief.
If you get the Meyle and a few other brands they come with the plates and bolts. Thats what I did.
I replaced my LCA in the front. Do you know what else is replaceable in the front end of a Jetta, 1999.5 besides the ball joints? I do not have any idea and have a front end person who will not align it until I replace the 'tie rods'. :mad:

Any help appreciated!
You can replace the tie-rod ends and sway bar bushings. here's a basic list of the commonly replaced:
OEM control arm bushings
Control Arm Hardware
Outer Tie Rod Ends
Lower Balljoints (with hardware)
Upper Strut Mounts
Upper Strut Bearing

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Just to be clear, I was upgrading to some new Eibach Pro-Kit VR6 springs and replaced both front/rear control arm bushings and sway bar bushings while I was in there. Had I done the ball joints, those DO come with the bolts and nutplates.

In retrospect, I could/should have done the ball joints as well. Dependant on my likes/dislikes of the new springs, I may be back into it regardless and I may do the ball joints as well.

For those just doing LCA bushings, consider getting new nutplates. There's nothing more annoying than getting stopped on a job over $10 worth of parts. :( BTW, I did get them replaced after a good buddy did the legwork and picked them up at the only place that had them in a 30 mile radius. Thanks m.

mstar926

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I am getting ready to do my bearings, and when I looked at the control arms I realized that the control arm bushings are going, if not gone.

I was planning on removing the entire wheel bearing housing anyways and having a shop just press the new bearings in for me.

I figure that since I was planning on doing the bearings that now would be the time to do the control arm bushings too. Any pointers or things I need to lookout for in this project ?

simbolo

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
if you plan on doing the front bushings on the control arm also make sure you have a good press because those are a lot harder to press in there than the rears, or get the ones that come in 2 pieces.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
I just finished this project about 10 minutes ago. I installed the TT bushings on the lower control arms. The old bushings were a pain to get out. I had one heck of a time getting the new ones in. I finally gave up and had my friend drive me to a local shop where I had him install them with a press. Even he said they were more difficult. Then once they were all in, installation of the LCA on the driver's side was easy taking only 20 minutes. The passenger's side took literally 2 and a half hours. This is a great project for one to do by themselves but without a press I found it near impossible.

Also, the TT bushings are incredible. I wish I had a picture of my old bushings because they were so terrible but the saw and hammer destroyed them during removal. I ordered my bushings from Metalmanparts.com and the TTs were not that much more expensive. Not sure how to tell if they are TT or not but I trust they are.

GREAT WRITE UP WINGNUT!

Last edited:

poor1

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4
Its not worth the trouble of pressing out the bushes. New after market control arms come complete with new bushes and are pretty cheap top buy.

Chemboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen DSG
Its not worth the trouble of pressing out the bushes. New after market control arms come complete with new bushes and are pretty cheap top buy.

Can't buy control arms with TT bushings pre-installed.

Last edited:

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I was going to say the same thing. But what about R32 lower control arms. Could they have the solid bushings in them perhaps???

Chemboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen DSG
I was going to say the same thing. But what about R32 lower control arms. Could they have the solid bushings in them perhaps???
While it appears they have solid bushings, the control arms are a different design - no attachment for the sway bar.

TDI
1999 New Beetle
Hello - I'm new here to the TDIClub Forums and I'm also not too familiar w/mechanics aside from changing oil/tires. Luckily I have some friends who can help me do what I need to get done, but I can use some advice before I decide if this is something I want to try and tackle myself.

A little back story - I have a '99 New Beetle and just broke 100K on the milage. The dealer is trying to nickle and dime me on maintenance and I've decided to try and do some things myself, so it's a good learning experience for me. I already replaced the skid plate myself w/the panzer plates thanks to this site so it's already been a great help. Thanks!

What I need replace on my car right now are the lower ball joints and outer tie rod ends. The dealer said this and I can hear clunking in my front end while driving. I haven't looked at the condition of the lower control arms (bushings and such) but I figured it might be easier just to replace them with the new ball joints all at once.

I guess that's my question. Would it be easier for a newbie like myself to just by a new LCA for the ball joints rather than trying to attach them onto the old ones? To replace everything (2 LCAs, ball joints and tie rod ends) I'm estimating $200 before an alignment which is pretty good considering the dealer would probably charge me $1K or more. I'm also basing this all off of using Meyle parts and I'm curious if you can tell me if that is a good brand.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Buy the parts from a TDIclub vendor. They support this site and keep all those pop up ads away. Meyle is a good brand a suggestion is Lemfroder (bushings) which I got from IDparts.

I hope your intent is to never go back to the dealer and find a local guru to help you.

TDI
1999 New Beetle
Thanks for the reply PeterV. I was just pricing parts off of ECS tuning. If you have some recommended vendor links, I would appreciate it. I have a friend w/an Audi which has some simmilarities to my VW. I'll try to avoid the dealer as much as possible from now on.

After looking at my car, it appears the ball joints should be pretty easy to replace if they just bolt back on. Is this a correct assumption? Any idea how hard it is to remove the LCAs though?

Edit - I found the vendors.

Last edited:

petec511

Veteran Member
TDI
03 tdi
With my clunking in the rear will it be the rear control arm busshings? Is there a how to for this or is it pretty easy to do?

Thanks,

Peter

naba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GL TDI Black
i need serious help guys. I removed my passenger side control arms with no issues. I was able to change all the bushings out fine. I have having issues reinstalling the control arm. Does anyone have tips on reinstalling the arm?

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
.... I have having issues reinstalling the control arm. ....
A few more details would help, but this is what worked for me.

FIRST, put a rag underneath the driveshaft to keep it from striking metal-to-metal on the subframe.

Start by making sure all the surfaces are clean. Get the front bushing just barely started first, then get the back one started.

After that, work them both and push them PAST their nominal mounting point.

Finally, lift the outside end of the control arm up while pulling the strut outward and then line up the ball joint and start it sliding into the end of the control arm.

You will of course need to line everything up now, just be patient and avoid hitting painted surfaces with metal - you don't want rust to have a head start.

mark

naba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GL TDI Black
The problem that I am having is that I do not have enough clearance to set the control arm. I did not compress the spring when I removed the control arm.

I think I might need to compress the springs to get the clearance I need. I am guessing though.

Any ideas?

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
If you did not disconnect the upper strut bearing or bushing then the spring is still compressed - at least partially. You do not need a spring compressor for this job.

Maybe you need to turn the steering wheel all the way to the left to extend the tie rod all the way out. This might help you pull the assembly out far enough to clear the control arm.

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf (Silver) | 2005 Jetta Wagon (Spice Red)
The problem that I am having is that I do not have enough clearance to set the control arm. I did not compress the spring when I removed the control arm.

I think I might need to compress the springs to get the clearance I need. I am guessing though.

Any ideas?
You do not need to compress the spring to re-install LCA's. I agree that it is a PITA to get everything lined back up, but you do not need to compress the springs.

Are you having issues actually fitting the LCA's back in place or just issues w/ getting everything else back in place? Where is it that you do not have enough clearance? You should just be able to move the strut and spindle out of the way. I suppose you can just remove the upper strut nut if you need the additional clearance, but you shouldn't have to...

One thing to remember is, once you do get everything back in, I believe you need to torque the LCA bolts under load (i.e. w/ the weight of the car on it's wheels)

naba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GL TDI Black
Thanks guys, I will try out your suggestions tonight and let you know the results

naba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GL TDI Black
almost there but not quite. I am able to get the control arm in place but unable to set the ball joint into the control arm. There is no room to get ball joint into place.

What am I missing?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Lower Control Arm

With my clunking in the rear will it be the rear control arm busshings? Is there a how to for this or is it pretty easy to do? Thanks, Peter
The Lower Control Arm (one each side of front suspension), has a front and a rear bushing. Those two bushings are very different.

When you say "clunking" in the rear, I'm assuming you mean from the rear of the car. That reasoning in mind, replacing the LCA bushings will not stop a clunking in the rear of the car.

Here is a photo of a bad "rear' control arm bushing. This is the left side rear control are bushing.

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
almost there but not quite. I am able to get the control arm in place but unable to set the ball joint into the control arm. There is no room to get ball joint into place.

What am I missing?
not sure... but I just did this job last week on my 03 with manual transmission and Original driveshafts. I turned the steering way all the way to one side to extend the tie rod out. I pushed the control arm all the way into the subframe; I did not have the bolts installed so it went further than nominal.

Finally I pulled the bottom of the strut all the way out and lifted the control arm up and swiveled the ball joint until it slid into the slot at the end of the control arm.

I am not sure but maybe I had the top cap off the strut at that time but I definitely did not have the upper strut bushing and bearing off and I did not use a spring compressor.

IndyTom

TDI
2012 VW New Beetle 2.0Tsi
The Lower Control Arm (one each side of front suspension), has a front and a rear bushing. Those two bushings are very different.

When you say "clunking" in the rear, I'm assuming you mean from the rear of the car. That reasoning in mind, replacing the LCA bushings will not stop a clunking in the rear of the car.

Here is a photo of a bad "rear' control arm bushing. This is the left side rear control are bushing.

WOW, and I thought my bushings were bad :). To clarify, the Control arms are in front of the car. They have a smaller horizontal "Front" Bushing and a larger diameter vertical (as pictured above) "Rear" bushing. So what they mean by Rear control arm bushing is the larger Rear bushing of the front control arm. If you have bumps in the rear of the car it isn't the fault of the Control arms since they are in the front of the car.
Clunking noise from the front of the vehicle is mostly caused by worn out Front Sway Bar bushings and endlinks. But bad ball joints and deadly worn out Control arm bushings like in this picture can also cause noise but it will also effect handling and drivability.