Want to Plasti Dip Golf chrome trim.

stuckinneutral

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Blue Graphite Golf TDI
Hey so I'm going to a show with my friend this weekend in Brampton, my car just looks stock so I'm really just going for a free wax and to oggle other cars, but it made me more anxious to do something I wanted to do before I got my car.

So I'm going to be hunting down some Plasti-Dip in my area this week and once I do I will be removing the fog light trim and the lower grill trim for coating. I'm planning to get the JOM badgeless grille in the next couple of months so I will be temporarily electrical taping the chrome slits in my upper grill.

I'll post some before pictures when I get home, but I'm making this thread now because if someone knows how to remove the trim in the lower grill any instructions will be greatly appreciated, that is kind of the only part I'm worried about.

Also feel free to request pictures of any part of the lower grill before I take it apart or I will only be doing a write up with AFTER results.

stuckinneutral

Veteran Member
TDI
did it pictures tomorrow

So I realized its pretty impossible to remove the chrome pieces from the grills. So I ended up removing the whole lower grill + foglights and plasti dipping the whole 3 pieces.
P.s. no broken tabs :)

And like most people I love how plasti dip works! I screwed up the plastic piece that holds the heater plug, so I just simply ripped it off and started over. This stuff dries evenly and is very forgiving of shaky hands.

Its drying in my trunk right now so pictures will come tomorrow afternoon

tschatzinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 4 door, cold weather package, manual :)
I did some Plasti-Dip work too. However, I had to re-do my front emblem, and ended up spraying some clear coat over it. This pic was prior to doing that, but this stuff looks great.

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Well shoot, if you just wanted to get rid of the chrome, I've got a couple of grills I could trade you...

stuckinneutral

Veteran Member
TDI
Hehe thanks Toeball, but I have fogs :D

here are the pics!

before:

after:

Very happy with how it came out, I just used some super stretchy electrical tape for the grill chrome slits. Tschatzinger, those are some sexy calipers, I was thinking blue too.

tschatzinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 4 door, cold weather package, manual :)
Thanks neutral. Everyone usually paints them red, but I wanted to stick with the blue theme since the I in TDI is blue. That turned out nice. Any other plans you have for your car?

stuckinneutral

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks neutral. Everyone usually paints them red, but I wanted to stick with the blue theme since the I in TDI is blue. That turned out nice. Any other plans you have for your car?
What SHOULD have gone on at the same time as the plasti dip was optic blue fog lamin x.
But that didn't come in the mail as fast as i planned.

Driver gear springs and Panzer skid plate are going on next Friday, look for my thread around then hehe. Also have some Gunmetal AWE pedals coming in the mail, but i've never drilled anything before so I think ill only be able to put on the dead pedal myself.

Going to be an exciting + sleepless week until the springs go on, I have stock golf struts, 16"s, manual, and 4 door so I should be going as low as possible on these springs!