2003 Jetta wagon roof rack question

JerryPT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS wagon
Did any 2003 wagons come without the factory roof rack?

Has anyone removed a factory roof rack and covered or plugged the holes?

Does the Jetta wagon have the roof rack anchor points behind the rubber door seals like the Golf?

I want a roof rack that is easy and quick to install/remove. My existing Yakima rack, with mounts that grab the factory roof rails, take forever.

Jerry

Joe Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
JerryPT said:
I want a roof rack that is easy and quick to install/remove. My existing Yakima rack, with mounts that grab the factory roof rails, take forever.

Jerry
Sorry Jerry, I used to have a Yakima that mounts like yours. (Called a Lowrider ). It took like, 5 or 10 minutes to take off. If that's forever in your world...oh well. ;)

It might take a while the very first time, but it's so quick after you do it that it seems almost instant. At least compared to the kind that went in the raingutters or on the roof that hooked to the door.

I now have a Thule, I got it cause I like the bicycle wheelholders better and no matter what it says on the box, they *do not* work well with round bars so I just sold my Yakima and went with a Thule setup. It's just as easy as the Yakima to take off and put on.

JerryPT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS wagon
Thanks Joe. Yes, that is forever to me. I'd like under two minutes. Do you have the rivet rack mounts behind the upper rubber door seals on your Jetta wagon? Those are the fastest I've seen. I'm also thinking of the Yakima permanent mounts that have slick covers for the bases when the rack is off. These would be quick also. I know if it takes long I will just leave the racks on, and I don't want the air drag.

Jerry

Joe Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
JerryPT said:
Thanks Joe. Yes, that is forever to me. I'd like under two minutes. Do you have the rivet rack mounts behind the upper rubber door seals on your Jetta wagon? Those are the fastest I've seen. I'm also thinking of the Yakima permanent mounts that have slick covers for the bases when the rack is off. These would be quick also. I know if it takes long I will just leave the racks on, and I don't want the air drag.

Jerry
I actually could probably do it in 3 minutes. To me, it's way faster and slicker than the "rivet behind the door seal" method my rack attached on my Jetta sedan. I find the wagon far superior, the way the rack never touches the roof.

Jerry.. I'm sure if you practice you could break the two minute barrier.:D

Joe

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
To answer the question of 'is there rivets behind the door seal on the Wagon?' the answer is NO. At least on mine there are none.