Does my 2004 Jetta have an engine block heater?

FranOhBaby

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS
Yes, I've owned this car for three years and have had cold weather starting issues. But I finally want to know since the car just sold to someone living in a far colder area. Does my 2004 Jetta have an engine block heater? What do I look for and where? Thanks!

:confused:

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Not from the factory it doesn't.
Someone may have installed an aftermarket inline heater. If you look below the battery just above the starter (provided there's one installed) you will see a cylindrcal unit wit a hose comoing from the oil cooler/filter and a 120V cord attached to it as well.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Nope.

They are about $100 aftermarket, TDI Heater being the most popular.

Hopefully the new owner can and will correct whatever issues are causing the cold start issue. I've started mine at the relatively warm -15*F with no heater. Others start theirs in much colder weather w/o issue.

Last edited:

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
No your TDI doesn't have an engine block heater. You need to install a coolant heater which will help cold weather starting issues which is typical of any Diesel engines. You can either use the round or rectangular tanks zerostart coolant heater. The round is a better choice since it gives you more room

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
T_D_I_POWER said:
No your TDI doesn't have an engine block heater. You need to install a coolant heater which will help cold weather starting issues which is typical of any Diesel engines. You can either use the round or rectangular tanks zerostart coolant heater. The round is a better choice since it gives you more room
Cold weather starting issues typical of TDIs? :confused:

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
To reduce cold start problems, have the car parked in a heated garage. The other option is to get rid of the diesel because cold whether and diesel are not friends.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Sorry, but something is wrong with your motor if you have trouble starting it in the cold. The 99.5 will start all the way down to 0*F without a problem. Colder than than that, it will struggle a little, but still always start.

Since the OP has a PD, I wonder if he had the glow plug recall done? If so, that is why it has cold weather starting problems.

FranOhBaby

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS
didn't see a plug coming out of that area. the car has always been in arkansas; can't see the first owner installing a heater. the vw delearship did some recall work during an oil change about this time last year. will call them tomorrow to see if it was glow plugs. thanks!

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
The reason I mentioned it is because VW completely messed up the glow plug recall. These cars originally came with ceramic glow plugs that would break off in the cylinder and cause major issues. They recalled them and replaced them with steel glow plugs which requires a ECU re flash. VW messed up the tune and cars would have a hard time starting in the cold. There is a whole thread on it. If you do a search, you will probably find it.

flyingmikey

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle TDI
Look under the oil pan, if you see a plate glued to it with wires coming out of it, you have a heater . Follow the wires to the plud, and ta-da !!!

As for cold-weather ... you need additive in the winter, i use clean-flo, otherwise the diesel gels up. Also, my beetle wont start if its below -15C !! so you NEED a heater.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
flyingmikey said:
Look under the oil pan, if you see a plate glued to it with wires coming out of it, you have a heater . Follow the wires to the plud, and ta-da !!!

As for cold-weather ... you need additive in the winter, i use clean-flo, otherwise the diesel gels up. Also, my beetle wont start if its below -15C !! so you NEED a heater.
That's an oil pan heater, not a block heater. Both are ideal (we needed both in Alaska, along with a battery heater).

That being said, I've found my block heater will also heat the transmission and oil via conduction.

There is something wrong causing your NB to not start below -15C. People often start their TDIs at -30C without external aides.