Grand Cherokee CRD coming for 2013

Jethro

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9
Siiiick! I want a CRD GC! Here here on the price point.
Even a used '08 (?) GC CRD is still high 30k (or has 100000000000 miles).

Chris B

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon 5 spd
I only hope (and I doubt it) that Chrysler learned from their past. I don't know a lot about the previous Grand Cherokee CRD - mostly because they didn't sell well (way too expensive), but as an owner of an '05 Liberty CRD, I would be very hesitant about anything Chrysler ever again. It's a great vehicle (when it works), but I have never owned anything that literally falls apart before your eyes so quickly. If it's not parts cost cutting causing the issues, then it's piss-poor ECM and TCM programming helping the parts fail.

Nevertheless, as much as I want to just set it on fire sometimes, it really is a cool little vehicle and fun to drive, not to mention unique and a bit rare. That's why I still own it even after buying a more reliable car for the wife ('10 Outback).

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Ser-gi-o! Ser-gi-o! Now they just have to price it so mere mortals can afford one. [/COLOR][/FONT]
Europe gets two versions of the 3.0 CRD.

The Laredo trim gets a 190hp 3.0 CRD that is priced lower than the 3.6 gasser. (The gasser premium is 630€)

The Limited trim gets a more powerful 239hp 3.0 CRD and is priced 1890€ higher than the gasser.

Overland trim gets 3.6 V6, 5.7 Hemi and the more powerful 3.0 CRD. The Hemi costs a whopping 4726€ more than the diesel.

http://jeep.de/grand_cherokee/motoren/index.html

It's this engine:
http://www.vmmotori.it/it/01/00/01/dettaglio.jsp?id=9

Jethro

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9
The new GC 3.6 V6 has more HP than my 5.9 Ram. And get's better mileage.
Guess that happens with 20 years of technology.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
You can thank coming CAFE increase pressure for this and many more coming offerings!!

And if we go through with the 54 mpg CAFE mark in 2025 we are likely to have lots full if diesel offerings........

DSL HED

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta wagon DSG
It's sad that it's taking government intervention to basically force companies to offer diesel options in the U.S.I just read about the Porsche Cayenne diesel yesterday, and now the Cherokee CRD will be available again. Good news for us though.

I'm waiting for the Mazda CX-5 Sky-D since I can't wait forever for VW to start selling the Tiguan TDI.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Uh, it was government intervention (emissions regulations) that forced diesels out of the US market.

It was a lack of an energy policy for the last 25 years that forced diesels out of the US market........................

The last year of real CAFE with yearly increases with a target of the low 40s by ~1991, 1986 was the last year all auto makers even VW sold a diesel autos in the US. This is an indisputable fact that no CAFE with a target of 40+ mpgs by the early 1990s took all the incentive away of selling diesels in the US. Many auto makers had already met this target by the mid 80s before we dropped CAFE in 1986 from 29 to 26.5.........But as soon as that pressure was removed all the auto diesels that were required to meet that target were not longer sold here.

torqueit

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Uh, it was government intervention (emissions regulations) that forced diesels out of the US market.
Strangely enough, I agree with you and the previous poster.

Emissions drove diesels out of the US market. Now vehicles are available that comply with the emissions requirements (which I believe are on par with Europe) and CAFE standards will likely drive the market back towards diesel to meet the increasingly challenging goals.