Dayco vs idparts Timing Belt Kit???

pretzook

TDI
2003 Jetta (01M)... soon 5-spd!
My local diesel shop uses the Dayco kits, and I have normally bought parts from idparts.com There is a $154 difference in the cost... I'm sure it has to do with the parts included... any direction would be helpful. Thank you.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
the standard tb kit from idparts comes with a dayco belt and is 309.95.

it doesn't list the manf for the other parts, but i assume you could call and ask, or use google chat.

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
My local diesel shop uses the Dayco kits, and I have normally bought parts from idparts.com There is a $154 difference in the cost... I'm sure it has to do with the parts included... any direction would be helpful. Thank you.
If there's $154 difference in price then I'd be willing to be that it's not a matter of mark-ups or brand of belt... the local guy's 'kit' simply doesn't include as much stuff in it.
The kits from TDIClub vendors include a lot of stuff that experience (largely from this forum) has shown to be critical. Someone less familiar with these cars specifically may not plan some of that stuff into their parts list.

IDParts offers two different TB kits for ALH cars. One is the regular kit $309 and the other is the 'high mileage kit' (intended for the 3rd or 4th TB change on cars exceeding 200k miles) at $450.
How much is the kit from the local guy, and does it include the same stuff?

Keep in mind that failure of the 'other stuff' (water pump, rollers, tensioner) is more likely than failure of the belt itself.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
ditto the above, and...
You might want to read through some of the timing belt related posts here (there are so many !). Now is the time to make sure you choose a shop that has experience with these TDIs, before doing the TB job. There is a listing of known good TDI mechanics on this site- they know these engines and can offer references.

There are several critical aspects to getting a timing belt job done correctly, and they're not all obvious. For instance- you'll need to replace the engine mount bolts that are removed to do the job. (not re-use). They are one-time-use bolts, and are prone to failure if re-used.

Note if the timing belt job is done incorrectly and something gums up, it's not merely an issue of doing it over again, as in going around for another try. Rather, what happens is expensive parts in the engine collide with each other, and major engine work has to be done, then replace all the timing belt stuff again. That's why it's so important to find a mechanic with specific experience going in.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
A Dayco timing belt is included by default in our kit. The other items, rollers and such, are INA Germany and the Tensioner is made by Litens in Canada.

Often the "Timing Belt Kits" from belt manufacturers (Continental/CRP or Dayco) only include a belt and tensioner, so often don't address the rollers or serpentine belt. They never include one-time-use hardware either.

Stick with our kit (or a kit from any other TDI Vendor) to do the belt job right, and be sure that the shop understands what each component is to be sure all the necessary items are replaced. The Trusted TDI Mechanics list may be a good place to search for a TDI guru in your area.

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
The Dayco kit has belt, tensioner, idler and rollers. No bolts or water pump as per this link http://www.accessdayco.com/Auto.aspx

Get a complete kit from one of the vendors on this site and look for another shop to do the work. Those guys may be good at what they do, but TDI is out of their comfort zone, or they wouldn't use a partial kit.

Paul

pretzook

TDI
2003 Jetta (01M)... soon 5-spd!
Thank you very much. I have a quote from the local shop in the neighborhood of $800, and that is the belt, tensioner, two rollers, water pump... there is something else, he mentioned the quote included the replacement of 6 essential parts. I'll have to check with him on the engine mount bolts. I have another quote from a vw place - not a dealer, in the neighborhood of $980. I will check out the list on the site for trusted TDI mechanics.

Thank you very much everyone!

Zook

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
If I lived as close as you do to Dennis Marquette (aka Metal Man on the forums... aka www.metalmanparts.com), then I know I wouldn't go anywhere else for stuff that's over my head.
Get the kit from IDParts, or get it from Metal Man (or another of the vendors on here), but either way I'd take it to Metal Man to do the work if I lived up that way.