OSRAM 65w Rallye AND Upping Voltage?

ss2nv

TDI
2014 Passat SELP
OSRAM 65w Rallye AND Upping Voltage with VCDS?

Hello. We just purchased a 2014 Passat SEL TDI and I am unhappy with the factory headlight output. I have read around and have decided to install the OSRAM 65 watt Rallyes. I have seen where others have done this and been happy, but what about also upping the voltage with VCDS? The OSRAM bulbs say that they are rated for 12 volts on the box. I just purchased the Micro-CAN cable from Ross-Tech and was wondering how high I could go with the voltage, or even disable the bulb-saver feature alltogether? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Seth

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Disabling the life extender will increase the voltage to whatever the alternator is putting out.

ss2nv

TDI
2014 Passat SELP
Disabling the life extender will increase the voltage to whatever the alternator is putting out.
Right, but is it okay to do with these bulbs, being that they are 65 watt vs the factory 55 watt? I don't want to have to worry about the wiring, bulb-housings, or sockets burning up/melting.

Thanks.

Seth

ss2nv

TDI
2014 Passat SELP
As far as I know, it is just a voltage adjustment(or turn off the bulb-saver mode completely). I just got back inside from swapping out my factory 55 watt H7 Hi/Lows for the OSRAM Rallye 65 watt bulbs. Afterwards, I used VCDS to up the voltage on the headlights and taillights to 13.5 volts. I also set the Comfort Turn Signal Cycles from 3 to 4 and disabled the Hill-Hold feature, as I have a DSG car. I am still looking at how to have the fog lights on with the DRLs and highs, though.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I thought you could actually dial in a voltage/wattage (one or the other)?

Gonna have to do some reading again.

You can indeed select a voltage. Disabling it completely runs them wide open at whatever the electrical system is at.

Jbratstdi

TDI
2012 Passat SEL-Sold Diesel Gate
As far as I know, it is just a voltage adjustment(or turn off the bulb-saver mode completely). I just got back inside from swapping out my factory 55 watt H7 Hi/Lows for the OSRAM Rallye 65 watt bulbs. Afterwards, I used VCDS to up the voltage on the headlights and taillights to 13.5 volts. I also set the Comfort Turn Signal Cycles from 3 to 4 and disabled the Hill-Hold feature, as I have a DSG car. I am still looking at how to have the fog lights on with the DRLs and highs, though.
Cent elec. 09 look for fog lights active with DRL

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Anyone know what the current draw is on our headlights?

Essentially, is 13.5V what you want to run in order to have the Rallyes going at their full 65W?

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
Right, but is it okay to do with these bulbs, being that they are 65 watt vs the factory 55 watt? I don't want to have to worry about the wiring, bulb-housings, or sockets burning up/melting.

Thanks.

Seth
Wattage is current times voltage. W=I*V. With higher voltage settings, such as with bulb life extension disabled, provides full electrical system voltage to your lamps. It can handle it since there is actually less amps flowing to the (stock) bulb.

With 12.6 VDC and 55 Watt lamps, that equates to 2.5 Amps.
With 14.0 VDC and 55 Watt lamps, that equates to 2.3 Amps
With 14.0 VDC and 65 Watt lamps, that equates to 2.7 Amps

0.2 amp increase is negligible.

Anyone know what the current draw is on our headlights?

Essentially, is 13.5V what you want to run in order to have the Rallyes going at their full 65W?
The lights will run at 65 watts regardless of the voltage supplied. They will just pull more current (more amps) attempting to attain the rated output.

The rest of the car is seeing 13.9 - 14.1 VDC from the voltage regulator (per my scan-gage) and has suffered no ill effects in the over one year that the tail and head light 'life extension' has been disabled in my car. And there have been more than a few electrical tweaks along the way as well.

I don't think that the cost of a lightbulb being "life-extended" by a lower voltage supplied outweighs the benefits achieved by operating them at their full rated voltage, and thus their full rated output. They are not that difficult to change.

Last edited:

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP

Thanks.

Seth
Yes, I have my bulb saver turned off and the voltage set to max and run the OSRAM's in both high and low beams.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
The lights will run at 65 watts regardless of the voltage supplied. They will just pull more current (more amps) attempting to attain the rated output.

The rest of the car is seeing 13.9 - 14.1 VDC from the voltage regulator (per my scan-gage) and has suffered no ill effects in the over one year that the tail and head light 'life extension' has been disabled in my car. And there have been more than a few electrical tweaks along the way as well.

I don't think that the cost of a lightbulb being "life-extended" by a lower voltage supplied outweighs the benefits achieved by operating them at their full rated voltage, and thus their full rated output. They are not that difficult to change.
Sounds good! Thank you!

My wallet is going to cry ordering 8 bulbs, but it'll be worth it.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Wattage is current times voltage. W=I*V. With higher voltage settings, such as with bulb life extension disabled, provides full electrical system voltage to your lamps. It can handle it since there is actually less amps flowing to the (stock) bulb.

With 12.6 VDC and 55 Watt lamps, that equates to 2.5 Amps.
With 14.0 VDC and 55 Watt lamps, that equates to 2.3 Amps
With 14.0 VDC and 65 Watt lamps, that equates to 2.7 Amps

0.2 amp increase is negligible.

False! Incandescent lamps are a variable resistive load, and also have a reverse temp to resistance relationship (resistance goes *down* as it heats) and will draw more power at higher voltage, being limited by failure. Wattage ratings are at the design voltage, and only that voltage. Think about what you said - if it were true, you could get the same output with 6 volts as 12, and we all know that to be false as well.

So yes, while P=IV, P is also V^2/R or I^2*R (using ohms law, V=IR to solve for I or V).
Note P=V^2/R . . . power not only goes up, but goes up at the square of the voltage!

- Tim

Last edited:

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
OK. I stand corrected. I was trying to keep it simple. 6v is an extreme example.

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus
I think the issue here may be that "12 volts" does not necessarily mean 12.0 volts. Since the inception on 12 volt electronics, a fully charged "12 volt" battery will read 14.1 volts.

In fact a battery that reads 12.0 volts is half dead.

So if Osram did not design this bulb to be tolerant of 14.1 volts (or higher) they are incredibly stupid.

I am interested to know what the actual voltage is when measured at the bulbs. I personally have installed relays and heavier wiring on cars to ensure maximum power available that would otherwise have been hampered by restrictive wiring.

ss2nv

TDI
2014 Passat SELP
I appreciate all of the helpful replies. The 65w Rallyes have been going fine running at 13.5 volts. I went out tonight and upped it to the maximum 13.6 volts (while still having the bulb-saving feature on) in VCDS. I also turned on the instrument needle sweep (celebration) on start-up, DRL On/Off via MFI, and Fogs as DRLs.

My car is a 2014, so I was a little apprehensive when applying the changes, as most, if not all of the info that i have read concerning VCDS and NMS cars is about using it on 2012-2013 models. Anyway, the instrument sweep worked and the DRL function showed up on the MFI. It was too dark to test the fogs as DRLs.

I would still like to find out how to open/close the sunroof via the fob, though. I am sure that I have read over it in some other thread, but missed it.

On a different note, should I be worried about running this car through a car wash? I have read stories about the sunroof drains not being securely connected and leaking into the headliner. A high-pressure touch-less carwash would spray some serious water onto the roof...

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I say "yes" to the car wash. Might as well find out if you have a problem while you are under warranty rather than discovering the problem when you are not.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
I have an all you can eat pass for the local touch less wash. Whenever I'm in the neighborhood I go through. Whenever it's salty, I try and go once a day. In the summer, I generally bathe and wax my own car out in the driveway. It's good exercise and living in a condo, it's one of the only things I can do outside in our stupid little lot.

No issues so far (knock on wood) with sunroof drains though in the touch less.

ss2nv

TDI
2014 Passat SELP
I have an all you can eat pass for the local touch less wash. Whenever I'm in the neighborhood I go through. Whenever it's salty, I try and go once a day. In the summer, I generally bathe and wax my own car out in the driveway. It's good exercise and living in a condo, it's one of the only things I can do outside in our stupid little lot.

No issues so far (knock on wood) with sunroof drains though in the touch less.
Good to here! I guess I'll try it out. I know that I should do it by hand, but I'm a lazy bastard...:cool:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I just installed the Osram 65w in both cars. I installed only one first in each car, drove around a bit, faced the garage wall...hmmm...I couldn't see any difference in either car between the 55w and the 65w. Any thoughts? I've got the Passat voltage as high as it can go.

ss2nv

TDI
2014 Passat SELP
I just installed the Osram 65w in both cars. I installed only one first in each car, drove around a bit, faced the garage wall...hmmm...I couldn't see any difference in either car between the 55w and the 65w. Any thoughts? I've got the Passat voltage as high as it can go.
I eventually turned the bulb-saver feature off altogether. I definitely think that my headlights are brighter and whiter with the 65w Rallyes running full alternator voltage. Dumb question, but are you sure that you installed them in the low beams and not the high beams? (I replaced all four in mine with the Rallyes)

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
I agree with you, I don't have VCDS so I still have the bulb saver option on. I didn't really notice any diff. between a 55W and the 65W rallys.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Silverstar Ultras in both hi and low, bulb extension off, and it is a night and day difference from stock. I also adjusted them up a bit...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
I too have Silverstar Ultras in both high and low beam positions. I increased the voltage to 13.0 volts and can't say if I've noticed much of a difference either. Although, while parked facing a wall, the headlights seem to be a higher color temperature (whiter light) compared to the fog lights even though the fogs are the factory supplied bulbs. Which could simply be the reason why I see the difference in comparison.

From what I'm reading here, adjusting the voltage does NOT disable the bulb life extender, correct? If that is the case, I will hook to the car and go through VCDS again and disable the bulb life extension.

Nuttendiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL with Malone 1.5 tune, 2014 535d, 2008 F250 6.4
put in the Osrams from Candlepower at $76 for 4 and thought it was a pretty good upgrade for the money, much better light but still lacking a little, I was coming from a 2010 accord that I retrofitted with s2k projectors but that cost me over $700 and the output is unreal, makes my other car with stock xenons really seem dim by comparison but after turning off the bulb saving feature via vcds i now have pretty respectable output and am happy with it plus my sister-in-law just bought a 14', I told her i'll do the upgrade for her, found this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10X-OSRAM-S...ogen-lamp-64217-Made-in-Germany-/171264843521

on ebay and figured what the heck, they appear to be the real deal and i cannot tell the difference when comparing them side to side, now i can change out low beams every year for $10!

Last edited:

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG Comfortline+Sport Pkg
I too have Silverstar Ultras in both high and low beam positions. I increased the voltage to 13.0 volts and can't say if I've noticed much of a difference either. Although, while parked facing a wall, the headlights seem to be a higher color temperature (whiter light) compared to the fog lights even though the fogs are the factory supplied bulbs. Which could simply be the reason why I see the difference in comparison.

From what I'm reading here, adjusting the voltage does NOT disable the bulb life extender, correct? If that is the case, I will hook to the car and go through VCDS again and disable the bulb life extension.
The fog bulbs (H8) are only 35W.